MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
laptops during university Mango99 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 23 05-23-2011 03:07 PM
Laptops... laffand General Discussion 201 07-24-2009 10:38 PM
Laptops good in class? Chad Technology 6 11-10-2008 12:19 AM
laptops and cell phones?? shreya s. First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 09-08-2008 07:13 PM
Battle of the Laptops Chad Technology 2 08-17-2007 11:17 PM

laptops and programs - HELP

Old 07-28-2011 at 03:40 PM   #1
degrootegirl

Liked: 0 Times

laptops and programs - HELP
hi everyone!

i'm going into first year commerce and it wasn't really clear on what kind of programs business students use.
I'm buying a laptop this month for school, and I was just wondering if the macbook pro would be a good choice.
Office home and student comes with it which includes microsoft word, powerpoint, excel and onenote, but I wanted to know if there are any other programs in the business program that are required for installation. I know only some programs are made specifically for windows, and there are some that have a mac version.

So please help, cause I don't want to get a mac if i'll come across a program that we need to install in first year and have it not work with my laptop!

Thanks,
degrootegirl.
Old 07-28-2011 at 04:48 PM   #2
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by degrootegirl View Post
hi everyone!

i'm going into first year commerce and it wasn't really clear on what kind of programs business students use.
I'm buying a laptop this month for school, and I was just wondering if the macbook pro would be a good choice.
Office home and student comes with it which includes microsoft word, powerpoint, excel and onenote, but I wanted to know if there are any other programs in the business program that are required for installation. I know only some programs are made specifically for windows, and there are some that have a mac version.

So please help, cause I don't want to get a mac if i'll come across a program that we need to install in first year and have it not work with my laptop!

Thanks,
degrootegirl.
1) As far as I know, there are no programs needed specifically for Business I. Microsoft Office or anything equivalent should be sufficient.

2) There are way too many threads about the same topic. I suggest you check them out first (search for laptop).

3) A MacBook Pro would definitely be sufficient enough for Business I. Whether or not it's ideal depends on what you like. Everyone has their own personal preference.
Old 07-28-2011 at 07:11 PM   #3
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Any off-the-shelf business class laptop (dual core, 2GB ram, 400GB, etc) will do you well. A mac would suit you well if you can afford it.

kldv likes this.
Old 07-30-2011 at 09:43 PM   #4
mochamagicar

Liked: 0 Times

for the purposes of an undergraduate program, any laptop with basic capabilities should suffice. You will not be using any programs that require extensive computer specs, so your macbook should do. Worst comes worst, if a program you are required to use in class is only compatible with windows, just purchase the program Bootcamp; it installs the Windows operating system on your Mac.
Old 07-30-2011 at 10:28 PM   #5
AgentTMa

Liked: 3 Times

I recommend torrenting microsoft office 2007 and using Microsoft Onenote to make your notes nice and fancy. unlike word, you can click and type anywhere on the page to make it liek a real life piece of paper where you write anywhere. on word, you gotta press enter to skip lines, and can't type anywhere. plus onenote can make these notebooks and sections where you break up your notes like a divider in a real life binder. so you go to each folder in the main folder to find your notes. you can have like one for each course or w.e
Old 07-30-2011 at 10:30 PM   #6
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTMa View Post
I recommend torrenting microsoft office 2007 and using Microsoft Onenote to make your notes nice and fancy. unlike word, you can click and type anywhere on the page to make it liek a real life piece of paper where you write anywhere. on word, you gotta press enter to skip lines, and can't type anywhere. plus onenote can make these notebooks and sections where you break up your notes like a divider in a real life binder. so you go to each folder in the main folder to find your notes. you can have like one for each course or w.e
might as well get office 2010
Old 07-31-2011 at 06:02 PM   #7
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamagicar View Post
for the purposes of an undergraduate program, any laptop with basic capabilities should suffice. You will not be using any programs that require extensive computer specs, so your macbook should do. Worst comes worst, if a program you are required to use in class is only compatible with windows, just purchase the program Bootcamp; it installs the Windows operating system on your Mac.
Bootcamp is a utility included with Mac OS (at least fairly recent version of OS X). Bootcamp is not something you need to or are able to purchase. Furthermore it does not install Windows onto your Apple computer, it merely gives you a walkthrough to partitioning the hard drive and assists you in installing proper drivers for your computer's hardware.

Please, if you don't know what you're talking about... don't tell people to do things.