MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Avatar: The Last Airbender sequel?!?! Ace0fSpades Movies & Television 15 08-27-2010 10:58 AM

The Last Airbender

Old 07-05-2010 at 11:53 AM   #16
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I heard this was a dismally bad movie.. which sucks because I really like the series.
Old 07-05-2010 at 11:54 AM   #17
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Went on Canada Day as well and saw it in 3D. The last movie I saw in 3D was Avatar and that was amazing and gave you the full experience but in this movie the 3D was pointless. I hate how all movies now are moving towards the 3D gimmick and having to pay that extra few $ for the glasses every time.

Anyways about the movie I thought it was alright. Kind of wish I waited for the dvd or torrent instead. Like others have said acting was bad but then again they are kids. Parts of the dialogue put me to sleep sometimes. Didn't know the Daily Show correspondent Aasif was in it and that was a cool surprise though.

Last edited by AnguishedEnd : 07-05-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-05-2010 at 12:59 PM   #18
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
I saw the movie on Canada Day and enjoyed it. I thought there were parts that required more explaining. I agree the acting wasn't fantastic, but don't forget they're kids...very few child actors are actually good before the age of 15/16.

I'm looking forward to the second.
Yeah, saw it on Canada Day as well and came to the same conclusion. I think the main thing was the writing, Shyamalan should stick to directing and forget about writing.

The movie should have been at least 2 and a half hours, at least then they could have fleshed out the story more and get us more involved with the characters. Otherwise, it followed the story well and had decent effects. ... I agree about them taking forever to bend, that was odd sometimes.
Old 07-05-2010 at 01:01 PM   #19
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

I might watch the movie, but the TV show was SO lame..
Old 07-05-2010 at 01:03 PM   #20
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
I might watch the movie, but the TV show was SO lame..
You're totally entitled to your opinion of course, but I have to say the show was amazing lol. It gets super intense by the third season.
Old 07-05-2010 at 01:20 PM   #21
PockyWarrior

Liked: 34 Times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfDk3I6di5E

'nuff said =O

JEFF_CHAN says thanks to PockyWarrior for this post.

Old 07-05-2010 at 02:10 PM   #22
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

I thought the movie fell below my expectations. The acting was very bad and I dunno even Prince Zukko came off as a bit weird at first. They should have made sokkka more funnier (that's a script thing) instead of serious and stoic. Anyways, when I watched the movie, there was a kid in the front row who would get up and copy the tai chi that was done during water bending scenes.. he was so cute.

Last edited by sinthusized : 07-05-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-05-2010 at 02:22 PM   #23
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

did anyone else notice the stereotypes? The whole Fire Nation (bad guys) = brown, then the one somewhat good guy (the uncle) - who might I add looks nothing like the uncle in the cartoon - was not brown, what's with that?

Then the 2 main characters are white?!?!?!? They should have been like the rest of the village - and looked atleast somewhat native.

Then another thing - what's with the name pronunciations??
- Aang turned into UNg
- Iro just turned retarded....

I thought it could have been much better done.
Old 07-05-2010 at 03:00 PM   #24
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I'm surprised people actually thought this looked good. I thought it just looked like another high budget overly CG'd piece of crap Hollywood movie from the trailers.

Not surprised to hear that that's exactly what it was :p.
Old 07-05-2010 at 03:21 PM   #25
hmmmcurious

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
I'm surprised people actually thought this looked good. I thought it just looked like another high budget overly CG'd piece of crap Hollywood movie from the trailers.

Not surprised to hear that that's exactly what it was :p.
A lot of us were hoping it would live up to the TV show, which was amazing.
Old 07-05-2010 at 04:08 PM   #26
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

The tv series is awesome, definitely my guilty pleasure lol
Old 07-05-2010 at 06:01 PM   #27
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciMania View Post
did anyone else notice the stereotypes? The whole Fire Nation (bad guys) = brown, then the one somewhat good guy (the uncle) - who might I add looks nothing like the uncle in the cartoon - was not brown, what's with that?

Then the 2 main characters are white?!?!?!? They should have been like the rest of the village - and looked atleast somewhat native.

Then another thing - what's with the name pronunciations??
- Aang turned into UNg
- Iro just turned retarded....

I thought it could have been much better done.
I read some article in those magazines they have at the movie theatre, apparently Shyamalan wanted to keep with "Asian" pronunciations of Aang's and Sokka's names. I still think it was ridiculous though.

And Iroh was brown, just a tad light skinned is all.
Old 07-05-2010 at 06:22 PM   #28
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5J7inpYSoE

I had planned to go out with my friends and see it last weekend and that video made me decide not to, when even midnight screening fans hate the movie...

Either way I was so disappointed, I'm kinda hoping this movie tanks and they just stay away from making more and hopefully my memories of the series can remain somewhat untarnished.
Old 07-05-2010 at 07:29 PM   #29
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

this movie was the worst piece of crap i have ever seen
completely ruined my childhood memory of waking up early in SATURDAY to watch this show
Old 07-05-2010 at 07:36 PM   #30
MiniDragon

Liked: 60 Times

I'm gonna have to agree with the people who said it was awful. Because well... it was. I could go on for about twenty minutes alone on the changes/additions/reductions in terms of plot when compared to the original series, but that would take too long. So I'll just say this: The acting was bad, the writing was worse, the choreography was passable at best (Why did the Earth benders do a dance before they attacked?), the constant mis-pronunciation of words was just plain sad, the lack of humor was revolting, and the lack of personality is the characters was upsetting.

The only positives were some good CG, and the air temples/ Northern water tribe looked stunning.

EDIT: Oh, and Iroh wasn't jolly, fat and he lacked a beard. Total miscast.

Last edited by MiniDragon : 07-05-2010 at 07:40 PM.