MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
last minute help !!!! ruby101 Academics 9 09-11-2010 07:53 AM
last minute help for GO transit! littleluzer First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-04-2010 02:30 PM
Mac in A Minute Chad MacInsiders Announcements 4 03-31-2010 03:35 PM
Latest Mac In A Minute - Feb 24 Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-18-2010 12:26 AM
Mac In A Minute Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 12-04-2009 04:04 PM

Last minute help for life sci

Old 08-01-2010 at 01:44 PM   #1
urbski

Liked: 0 Times

Last minute help for life sci
Hey everyone,

Solar is available for changes to course selection till Monday, August 2, and I am unsure of my courses. I picked the following for my first year:

BIOLOGY 1A03
BIOLOGY 1M03
PSYCH 1X03
MATH 1A03
MATH 1AA3
CHEM 1A03
CHEM 1AA3
PHYSICS 1B03
PHYSICS 1BB3
MED PHYS 1E03

I am considering doing Honours Biochemistry or the Molecular Biology & Genetics when I get into my upper years... so I am unsure of taking PHYSICS 1BB3 and MED PHYS 1E03.
Is there any other electives that will be useful to take, or somewhat easy? Or are those two classes needed/recommended?
Old 08-01-2010 at 01:54 PM   #2
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

At this point in time, you don't need 1BB3 to get into Mol Bio & Genetics.
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1516.html
Only for that Biochem specialization do you need 1BB3

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 08-01-2010 at 02:21 PM   #3
urbski

Liked: 0 Times

Ahh, okay thanks
Old 08-01-2010 at 02:27 PM   #4
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

As for the difficulty, you can always check out the course reviews but it's really up to you and where your strengths lie.
I'm great at Physics when I don't have to neglect other important subjects to focus on it, but not so much otherwise. Same with Math, which is much more consuming.
Depending on your plans for graduate school, you may want a social science/humanities course. If you're considering med school/a health care profession, many desire English

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 08-01-2010 at 04:01 PM   #5
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
At this point in time, you don't need 1BB3 to get into Mol Bio & Genetics.
http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1516.html
Only for that Biochem specialization do you need 1BB3
The origins specialization? Where does it say you need phys1BB3?

(I might be totally blind and am missing it)

I didn't realize any biology/biochem majors required 1BB3. If you're interested in upper-year physics courses, then you'll need it, but if not, I don't think you do.

Personally, I think MedPhys1E03 sounds fascinating, but three physics courses is a lot. If you're good at physics, then go for it though! 1E03 isn't a prereq for any 2nd year programs, but it could definitely be useful.

With the courses you're taking, you're definitely keeping your options wide open for nearly any 2nd year program. I think the only science ones you've excluded are enviro sci and psych There's also medical & health physics, and biophysics, both of which you might be interested in if you like biology and physics.
Old 08-01-2010 at 04:07 PM   #6
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
The origins specialization? Where does it say you need phys1BB3?

(I might be totally blind and am missing it)

I didn't realize any biology/biochem majors required 1BB3. If you're interested in upper-year physics courses, then you'll need it, but if not, I don't think you do.

Personally, I think MedPhys1E03 sounds fascinating, but three physics courses is a lot. If you're good at physics, then go for it though! 1E03 isn't a prereq for any 2nd year programs, but it could definitely be useful.

With the courses you're taking, you're definitely keeping your options wide open for nearly any 2nd year program. I think the only science ones you've excluded are enviro sci and psych There's also medical & health physics, and biophysics, both of which you might be interested in if you like biology and physics.
Admission Note 2

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 08-01-2010 at 04:09 PM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Admission Note 2
Thanks! Damn fine print.
Astronomy>>>>>phys 1BB3, imo
Old 08-01-2010 at 04:11 PM   #8
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Thanks! Damn fine print.
Astronomy>>>>>phys 1BB3, imo
The scattered layout can be dangerous, esp. if you miss a prerequisite

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 08-01-2010 at 04:51 PM   #9
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

You should definitely take Phys 1BB3
And Med Phys 1E03 could also be considered a bird course (well, I found it a bird course when I took it).
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 08-02-2010 at 11:06 AM   #10
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
I'm great at Physics when I don't have to neglect other important subjects to focus on it, but not so much otherwise. Same with Math, which is much more consuming.
Really? I find that physics requires a lot more attention. Math (at the first-year level, at least) doesn't really require any attention at all - there's just simple conceptual knowledge to get down in calculus (this doesn't apply to linear algebra I, which really holds a treasure-trove of conceptual knowledge). I found that physics had annoying exceptions - the annoyance probably comes from me approaching physics from a mathematical perspective rather than a physical one - I had to keep reminding myself that I needed to follow a different sort of intuition...