MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Too late for a macpass? ThagsanaR First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 09-05-2010 12:09 AM
Too late to apply? armiebaby First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 05-09-2010 05:09 PM
Late Applications? stevennevets First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 03-16-2009 09:37 AM
It's Late!! ishk33 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-29-2008 12:14 AM
To late for admission? Leraison Academics 8 05-26-2008 12:24 AM

I was late for an exam... :(

Old 12-22-2010 at 08:27 PM   #1
Naml
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

I was late for an exam... :(
I got there and they didn't let me write the exam because I was more than 30 minutes late. This probably means that I failed the course.

My exam was at 7:30 p.m. and I was studying during the afternoon, but I wasn't feeling so good. I had a really annoying headache so around 5 pm I decided to take a nap (worst decision of my life!). I set two alarms, one after half an hour and one after one hour, and guess what, I slept through both of them. I woke up at 7:55 p.m. and when I looked at the clock I was like F*ck I run to school anyways, knowing that I wouldn't make it on five minutes, but I still had to try (I don't live on campus). When I got there, there was a lady that stopped me and said I can't write the exam :( because I was past more than 30 minutes late. Now she also told me to contact my faculty and tell them I was late and they'll let me write it later.

Does she know what she's talking about? Like I thought those exam deferrals were for people who were sick, not people who were late. Now I'm considering doing one of two things:

1.Tell them I was late, and ask them if I can write it later. It is the sad truth but I don't think they'll see it as a good enough reason.

2.Say that I was sick. Now the problem with this is, even though I did have a a headache before the exam, it was just that, a headache. And I didn't think it was a possibility because you probably need to be really sick and a doctor needs to agree with you. Also I wrote another exam this morning at 9 a.m. and I was fine for it, so telling them I was sick for the second one of the day would look suspicious.

So am I hopeless now and do I have to accept my zero in the course? or do I still have a chance to somehow write it another time?
Old 12-22-2010 at 08:35 PM   #2
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

You do exactly what the lady said. Contact your faculty ASAP.

Making up some BS wont work, just tell them your situation.

Best of luck.
Old 12-22-2010 at 08:36 PM   #3
AlienSummer

Liked: 55 Times

I'd tell them I was late and see if they'd let me write it later. Worst case scenario is that they say no and you fail, which is exactly what will happen if you don't ask them. So I don't see why you wouldn't at the very least ask.

danallan likes this.
Old 12-22-2010 at 08:37 PM   #4
mtam

Liked: 4 Times

It's possible to be fine in the morning and then fall ill later in the day so I don't think that's an issue. You need a dr. to sign off on the prescribed form, and I'm not sure if it's too late for that. When I was sick for an exam, I saw the dr. the day of and she signed a form stating I was ill.

Good luck.
Old 12-22-2010 at 08:41 PM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I would try and get a Dr.'s note tomorrow to submit it to your faculty just to be on the safe side. And then go talk to your faculty and see how it goes.

Last edited by ~*Sara*~ : 12-22-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-22-2010 at 08:42 PM   #6
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

What she said was probably right. People make mistakes, I'm pretty sure they're not so callous that they'll have you fail because you messed up.

For the record I know someone who slept in and missed an exam in first year and she went to the faculty or whatever and told them what happened and they did just ask they lady said, they allowed her to defer it and write it at a different time.

Deferrals are for people who are sick, have conflicts etc but they also obviously cut students some slack if they mess up and allow them to write it at a later time.

Lying is a bad idea.
Old 12-22-2010 at 08:46 PM   #7
siefer1322

Liked: 96 Times

Hmm, I am not sure what the their rule books states but from what I have seen time and time again is that students who are late their first time always get to write it again. I have yet to see someone who was disallowed their first time. So, I think your chances are really good.

Good luck!
Old 12-22-2010 at 09:06 PM   #8
MarkA

Liked: 25 Times

I missed an exam last spring (I was two hours late... got to arrive when people were walking out), so I have some experience with this.

There's basically a one-strike rule in place for situations like this. You're allowed to miss one exam without valid reason, and your faculty will arrange for a deferred exam.

That said, you may not even need to go to your faculty. I'd suggest e-mailing the prof first, and explaining the situation. They can arrange a deferred exam for you, if they're nice enough.

If that fails, or if you don't want to wait at all, contact your faculty.

So again: don't worry. You will be able to write a deferred exam.
Old 12-22-2010 at 09:20 PM   #9
Naml
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

I feel more relief now and thanks everyone for the info, I'm going to email my prof right now.