MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Strike? ~*Sara*~ Residence & Housing 95 10-14-2010 10:19 PM
how likely is the strike? secretone General Discussion 113 10-31-2009 11:57 AM
strike? secretone General Discussion 22 10-31-2009 11:32 AM
Strike manaya General Discussion 158 09-23-2009 05:55 PM
McMaster Support Staff Strike Looms Chad MacInsiders Announcements 60 08-29-2009 11:33 PM

LCBO Strike Looms

LCBO Strike Looms *update*

Strike has been averted for now...

From this Ottawa Citizen article, as suggested by MacInsiders user micadjems.

The union representing 7,200 staff members of the Liquor Control Board of Ontario will go on strike at 12:01 a.m. Wednesday morning if a collective agreement cannot be reached with the provincial government.

A key issue has been the LCBO's move away from full-time jobs toward a casual workforce.

Vanda Klumper, chairwoman of the union’s bargaining group, said if the LCBO insists on using part-time workers the union “will not hesitate to take this battle to the streets."

Calls were not returned Monday morning by the LCBO.
Published by
MacInsiders VP

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 06-22-2009 at 10:29 PM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times
Sigh, first the City strikes, now LCBO. Could be worse though I suppose. It's not a bad thing, they have a right to strike and there will be less drunk drivers I guess. ;]

Old 06-22-2009 at 10:36 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
If all the full-time workers strike, could you just fire them all and hire part-time workers? Just curious...

Edit: Or not fire them, just let them strike and hire part-time workers? Do they get paid will on strike?

Old 06-22-2009 at 11:40 PM   #4
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
If all the full-time workers strike, could you just fire them all and hire part-time workers? Just curious...

Edit: Or not fire them, just let them strike and hire part-time workers? Do they get paid will on strike?
I'm sure there are protocols with the Union that would forbid this. Secondly, hiring part-timers to fill in for striking workers is where the term "scabs" comes from. Fairly often these part-timers get beat up trying to cross the picket lines, so I'm not sure that those types of positions are in high demand.

Old 06-22-2009 at 11:51 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Wouldn't that be considered assault. You could sue and get compensation... Plus, shouldn't there be officers at these kinds of things, especially strikes that are this big?

Old 06-23-2009 at 12:04 AM   #6
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times
This wikipedia article briefly talks about "Strike Breakers", aka people you hire to fill in for people who are striking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strikebreaker

jhan523 says thanks to PTGregD for this post.

Old 06-23-2009 at 12:15 AM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Lol, "knobsticks" is a pretty funny word.

So yeah, I didn't really read everything, just the parts relating to Canada. It's nice to know about these things. Knowledge is power! XD

Old 06-23-2009 at 06:44 AM   #8
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times
I heard on the news that certain stores may stay open with temporary employees (not under contract).... we can only hope it's ours!!

Also, this is not a very good time for a strike, IMO. Asking for more money in a recession? Probably not going to get too much sympathy...

Old 06-23-2009 at 07:36 AM   #9
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times
Time to stock up.

It would be really shitty of the LCBO to hire temps. Not only would that make concessions more difficult with the workers, but the temps (and customers) would likely get blocked from getting into the store.

Old 06-23-2009 at 08:18 AM   #10
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Do they get paid will on strike?
Strikers are paid out of a strike fund by their union. The money comes out of the union dues that union members pay.

Old 06-23-2009 at 09:48 AM   #11
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times
I don't think unions will typically let other people take their jobs while they're striking. The government can't really stop them from doing it, because as soon as they try, the union people sort of assemble into a massive unstoppable force which I'm pretty sure either resembles Voltron, or Devastator from the Transformers.

Old 06-23-2009 at 09:58 AM   #12
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Lol, Constructicons combine!!!

Old 06-23-2009 at 04:01 PM   #13
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
I heard on the news that certain stores may stay open with temporary employees (not under contract).... we can only hope it's ours!!

Also, this is not a very good time for a strike, IMO. Asking for more money in a recession? Probably not going to get too much sympathy...
Apparently they're not asking for more money. They're striking because they're afraid of losing full-time jobs to part-time and casual workers. Also, the LCBO management is trying add a provision to lay workers off for 90 day periods during slow times.

Old 06-23-2009 at 09:08 PM   #14
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times
its all cause of this recession.

Old 06-23-2009 at 09:09 PM   #15
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times
The amount of people I know that stocked up on beer and liquor...It's ridiculous! A friend of mine spent over $200 on booze due to this.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search