MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Incoming Long Distance mike_302 Computers & Tech 4 10-24-2010 05:39 PM
Long distance anubhagat Residence & Housing 1 12-08-2009 11:51 PM
Calling Long Distance from Residence mac-gal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-10-2009 05:43 PM
The ABC's of Long Distance Friendships goodnews.inc Misc 17 07-21-2009 04:47 PM
Long Distance Calling janeller General Discussion 7 09-09-2008 09:48 AM

LDR: Long Distance Relationships

Old 09-08-2012 at 12:10 AM   #31
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

There's actually a great advice tip article that's on macinsiders that I think applies a lot to this topic: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...6.html?t=22306

Two more really good threads to check out:

The Turkey Dump:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...1.html?t=24371

Surviving Long Distance Romance:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...5.html?t=23085
Old 09-09-2012 at 05:07 PM   #32
paronjd

Liked: 6 Times

Currently in one... I was really skeptical about it. She moved to Sudbury over a week ago to go to Laurentian but we still text daily and skype often. We had a great time this year before she moved away and have a special kind of trust and faith in each other. I guess it just depends on a person's true colours and whether they are really getting what they need from the relationship. So people simply don't have the willpower to keep it genuine or feel deeply enough for their partner to let the distance not bother them. We'll see how it goes.
Old 09-09-2012 at 05:18 PM   #33
ChikaStacy

Liked: 0 Times

skype dates and phone calls and lots and lots of trust!
Old 09-09-2012 at 05:26 PM   #34
altheman

I agree with all the above said information. For ldr to succeed there has to be complete trust between both people. Communication plays a vital role as well, it doesnt matter if you are making new friends and hanging around with them as long as you are honest with your partner and you dont do anything stupid with your friend. Make it a point to talk to them at least once a day, if not talk just text.

I am in a ldr right now and I usually try to text my gf a good morning and good night msg and try to skype with her on a daily basis. The hardest thing about ldr is the physical aspect but try to plan ahead and make plans of meeting up that will get you through the hard times.
Old 09-11-2012 at 11:02 AM   #35
sher1027

well, my GF is in NYC and we have been in relationship for 1 year
I have to be honest, sometime it become kind of weird when you cannot see the person but have to show so much care and love for each other.
And since we dont have something to do together (when I said together, it means face to face in real life but not through internet), it become hard to talk to each other.
However, if think about theres someone who is that far away and still cares about you. you should be thankful and try you best and wait till the day you can see her.
Old 09-11-2012 at 11:24 AM   #36
KittyLiang10

I don't think this is a super long distance but my bf is in waterloo for school Still it sucks since during the school year we don't see each other. We call each other and text each other often. Also I like to mail him surprises. It's more work than a normal relationship but definitely do-able. I consider myself lucky because trusting him has never been an issue and I don't think it will ever be an issue.
Old 09-12-2012 at 05:49 PM   #37
Fitness18

it definately tough having a long distance relationship especially in University where there are tons of people to be but if its meant to be its meant to be
Old 09-13-2012 at 11:15 AM   #38
pt376

Doesnt always work, but extra space is nice tho.
Old 09-13-2012 at 10:31 PM   #39
MACBOOKCLUB

Liked: 1 Time

it wont last long.
Old 01-07-2013 at 04:41 PM   #40
roadteez
Account Disabled by User

never works out lol
Old 01-07-2013 at 04:57 PM   #41
x-paraiso

It can definitely work out! Just depends on who's in the relationship. If you two love eachother enough and are willing to put in the effort and are in it for the long run, it can definitely work out. It won't be easy, some days will just fly by, other days .... LOL other days will definitely be a challenge :( but as long as you two have something to look forward to (ex. 1 month until you guys see eachother again) and as long as you communicate (VERY IMPORTANT) and there's trust and both of you are 100% serious about it, it'll work out, trust me

It won't work out for everyone but for the few that are willing to put in the extra work because they know in the end it'll be worth it .... it def will

Source: Been in a long distance relationship for 2+ years now and everythings working out

Goodluck!
Old 01-08-2013 at 09:04 PM   #42
Bellona52

Just got out of a long term relationship a couple of months ago. The thing about those relationships, they can easily hide things. Like the extensiveness of their mental illness. Yeah. I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 01-08-2013 at 09:08 PM   #43
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellona52 View Post
Just got out of a long term relationship a couple of months ago. The thing about those relationships, they can easily hide things. Like the extensiveness of their mental illness. Yeah. I wouldn't recommend it.
I'm assuming you mean long distance, not long term. I would hope most relationships are long term... lol
Old 01-09-2013 at 09:29 AM   #44
alanza

Liked: 1 Time

i've been with my boyfriend for 5 years, and we have been long distance for three. it's going really well! but i think it's important to make a plan together so you can look forward to being together at some point in the future. also, trust is key. fortunately we are good with that, i even live with four guys in the house and it hasn't been an issue. we visit eachother fairly often and he loves to come up for the weekend to see me and game with the guys. to be honest, i think if he did live in the same city it would be a huge distraction for me. it can work!
Old 01-09-2013 at 09:10 PM   #45
cheerioo

Liked: Liked 2 Times

skype, phone call, text, can only hear each other's vioce or looking at each other through the screen from another side of the world, it might gonna last for a while, but it is so hard to keep it. :(