MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leafs A Disapointment :'( Infinity Athletics & Recreation 250 02-04-2010 05:23 PM
Leafs Suck! Leafs Suck! Athletics & Recreation 9 12-11-2009 03:47 AM
Leafs Season Opener!! Infinity General Discussion 40 10-02-2009 10:48 PM
Leafs vs Habs jhan523 General Discussion 141 09-25-2009 02:02 PM
leafs tickets lorend General Discussion 5 02-16-2009 11:49 AM

the Leafs

Old 03-28-2012 at 08:56 PM   #1
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

the Leafs
UGH. Where to start. This team had so much promise, up until something clicked, in the beginning of february...since then, we're won 5 games in regulation. What happened, guys?
What do you guys think, who's to blame? Burke? the coaches? Josef? Kessel? Phaneuf? The entire goddamn team?

What the hell happened, Toronto!? (I know this is Hamilton, but close enough?
Old 03-28-2012 at 10:31 PM   #2
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

I keep asking the same questions, we honestly had a Solid team this year with a lot of potential but still the leafs followed their usual trend.

On the other hand, we had a very young team as well. I think burke is kind of going in the right direction with the team, we most deff need a little bulk on our roster.

I don't know what else to say, its the leafs being the leafs :\. Right now I am just hoping they move to last place and stay there, that way they are least get a good pick.

EDIT: LOL nicely done posting this is Academics

drpatel says thanks to Crzyrio for this post.
Old 03-28-2012 at 10:41 PM   #3
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

i tell u sports is all orchestrated

jim1 likes this.
Old 03-28-2012 at 11:02 PM   #4
drpatel

Liked: 70 Times

Losers grudge match, habs and leafs...should be a good game
we were doing decent til february, then we just collapsed...what the hell happened there?!
Old 03-28-2012 at 11:03 PM   #5
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Liked: 115 Times

Goalies. that is all.
Old 03-28-2012 at 11:20 PM   #6
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecubz View Post
Goalies. that is all.
You can't ever blame an entire season loss just on the goalies, it's a team game.

Not to mention, Reimer did decent.
Old 03-29-2012 at 04:08 AM   #7
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post
You can't ever blame an entire season loss just on the goalies, it's a team game.

Reimer has been decent lately but when you look at the season as a whole, both the monster and himself played mediocre at best and have let in way too many soft goals. I'll give reimer another year to redeem himself (which he will do IMO) because this year can be scratched off as the "sophomore jinx". we need to get another capable veteran goalie (maybe Harding?) to play with reimer next season. Monster's time is done in T.O.

I agree it's a team game, but most of the blame does go on the goalies. look at Ottawa, they're mediocre team at best (won't surprise me if they end up like MTL next season) but with good goaltending from Anderson, they're in the playoffs at the moment.

Last edited by icecubz : 03-29-2012 at 04:17 AM.
Old 03-29-2012 at 05:18 AM   #8
stripe

Liked: 1 Time

the sens also have a norris candidate, an amazing coach and a top 5 scorer. Anderson isn't the only reason they're in the playoffs.

Alchemist11 likes this.
Old 03-29-2012 at 08:52 AM   #9
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecubz View Post
Reimer has been decent lately but when you look at the season as a whole, both the monster and himself played mediocre at best and have let in way too many soft goals. I'll give reimer another year to redeem himself (which he will do IMO) because this year can be scratched off as the "sophomore jinx". we need to get another capable veteran goalie (maybe Harding?) to play with reimer next season. Monster's time is done in T.O.

I agree it's a team game, but most of the blame does go on the goalies. look at Ottawa, they're mediocre team at best (won't surprise me if they end up like MTL next season) but with good goaltending from Anderson, they're in the playoffs at the moment.
I highly disagree with this - as the other poster said, Ottawa has been playing well this year. Anderson is good but he's not even that great. Lundqvist/Biron, Halak/Elliot, Thomas/Rask etc - those are great goalies, but notice how they're all on really good teams and that's why they're all in the playoffs.

Look at Phillie - Bryz was doing horribly like near the start of the season and even through the middle until now when he started getting tons of shutouts. Their goalie situation was awful and yet they have 21 more points than us because they have really good players.

You can't really blame Reimer or Gustavsson when Schenn or Phaneuf or even Kessel have a horrible giveaway and then a 2 on 1 rush occurs and someone scores. Sure, a great goalie would have stopped the shot, but a great team wouldn't be in a position like that anyway.
Old 03-29-2012 at 09:14 AM   #10
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
I highly disagree with this - as the other poster said, Ottawa has been playing well this year. Anderson is good but he's not even that great. Lundqvist/Biron, Halak/Elliot, Thomas/Rask etc - those are great goalies, but notice how they're all on really good teams and that's why they're all in the playoffs.

Look at Phillie - Bryz was doing horribly like near the start of the season and even through the middle until now when he started getting tons of shutouts. Their goalie situation was awful and yet they have 21 more points than us because they have really good players.

You can't really blame Reimer or Gustavsson when Schenn or Phaneuf or even Kessel have a horrible giveaway and then a 2 on 1 rush occurs and someone scores. Sure, a great goalie would have stopped the shot, but a great team wouldn't be in a position like that anyway.
im not in anyway saying that the team (current roster) is good enough to compete for the stanley cup but if our goaltending was somewhat good, we would've had a good chance of making the playoffs or be battling for a playoff spot at the moment. we certainly wouldn't be fifth last in the league. but i do agree with you, players have to be held responsible as well. i'm looking forward to the draft (hopin for grigorenko or galchenyuk) and seeing what burke's going to be doing this summer.

also, whats everyone's thoughts on trading schenn this summer? apparently burkes trying to move him before his value plummets even more. i'd think he'd benefit from a full year under carlyle and possibly live up to his potential. same goes for komi.
Old 03-29-2012 at 09:16 AM   #11
icecubz
Trollin Ain't Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripe View Post
the sens also have a norris candidate, an amazing coach and a top 5 scorer. Anderson isn't the only reason they're in the playoffs.
i agree, this would certainly help as well.
Old 03-29-2012 at 09:48 AM   #12
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
i tell u sports is all orchestrated
Sometimes I feel the same !
Old 03-29-2012 at 10:07 AM   #13
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyrio View Post

"You can't blame a team's poor performance on one player." -Boston GM.
"You can if it's the goalie!" Don Cherry.

It's sad to see the Leafs at the near bottom of the tier... we started out so strong! I really thought we had a lot of promise; even though they are consisted of some of the youngest players in the league, they were clearly pulling their own in the beginning. I don't know what happened... we just sort of fell apart. They waited wayyyy too long to get rid of Wilson and Reimer seemed to lose steam in the middle of the season. I agree that he is a good goalie, however, and he should be given another chance.

I don't know what to say, I guess just: better luck next time, and next time, and next time...
Old 03-29-2012 at 10:55 AM   #14
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

"The Toronto Maple Leafs: Rebuilding Since '67"

Swampis likes this.
Old 03-29-2012 at 11:06 AM   #15
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

the leafs can be as horrendous as they want, you guys will still dole out $400 the next time you want to see them play.

Im a raps fan, don't have it any easier............