Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's a legit video card? Ownaginatios Computers & Tech 21 09-02-2010 07:32 PM
Is Ryerson a legit school? Kathy2 General Discussion 14 12-03-2009 08:30 PM

Legit, or not?

Old 10-26-2009 at 06:34 PM   #16
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

I'd like to know exactly what this "undergraduate support committee" is and who is on it.

I'd bet money that it's not even a real organization.
Old 10-26-2009 at 06:41 PM   #17
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

aaand reported for spamming to gmail I hope you liek mudkipz spammers!

Taunton likes this.
Old 10-26-2009 at 06:42 PM   #18
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
I'd like to know exactly what this "undergraduate support committee" is and who is on it.

I'd bet money that it's not even a real organization.
Obviously a random address made by anyone. For all we know it's a Nigerian scam lol
Old 10-26-2009 at 09:13 PM   #19
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
If you could provide us with an alternative approach to inform the McMaster community about the issue within 5 days, we would love to consider them.

I KNOW I KNOW!!

PLASTIC SIGNS ALL OVER CAMPUS!!!

Bahahahaha

adrian, DannyV, Lois, temara.brown like this.
Old 10-26-2009 at 09:29 PM   #20
McIntyre

Liked: 173 Times

Hey...I got the e-mail at my MSU e-mail address. It is not a real organization. The best definition I could give to it is a bunch of students that feel their is a need for a covert "committee". It's like at election time when many people surface with fake accounts with fake names to try and stir the shit - it's the same idea.
Old 10-27-2009 at 12:31 AM   #21
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

The thing is these jack asses aren't even informing others about the issues, they are only trying to scare other students. That is where they lose any of my support.
Old 10-27-2009 at 02:01 AM   #22
ramirez.a

Liked: 4 Times

Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000105 EndHTML:0000010422 StartFragment:0000002 300 EndFragment:000001038 6 I never realized how much commotion an email with CAPS LOCK sentences would generate.

To clear the record for all of you who are wondering, I sent the email because myself and several other students 2 weeks into the school year decided to establish an independent undergraduate support committee.

Most of the responses I’ve read on the discussion board regarding this topic is rather amusing. I can understand why some of you believe it was a scam or a ‘covert committee’… I appreciate the level of critical thinking.

But to set the story straight, I – along with the Undergradaute Support Committee – are not out to make enemies or install any fear mongering, we are simply trying to get the McMaster community to inform themselves on what is going on. I chose to CAP- size specific sentences to illustrate their importance and significance.

We established the committee on September 23rd when we conducted out first meeting. Since then, we have been attending regular meetings with CUPE along with attending SRA general meetings to observe if this issue was given any priority. To our surprise, this negotiation process was shockingly given minimal attention. When CUPE’s bargaining team delivered a presentation to the SRA assembly back on September 20th regarding updates on the circumstances, I was shocked – and personally very disappointed, to witness that SRA members passed a motion to place a 25 minute time CAP on the presentation and discussion period.

…For an issue that affects the entire McMaster undergraduate and graduate community, it is beyond my comprehension as to why this issue would be given a time limit. Personally, I believe an entire meeting should have been dedicated to discussing the issues and constructing an outline to facilitate a solution. But instead, it is to my surprise that the MSU have not made this as a top priority issue, until maybe last Friday when the committee began circulating flyers around campus and the undergraduate/graduate community was finally talking about the potential likelihood of a strike.

At the SRA meeting on Oct 18th, VP Education Chris Martin made an official statement saying “there is no deadline set for a strike… the possibility of a strike is not likely”

Considering that myself and the USC have been well informed and up-to-date on the conditions and circumstances of negotiations, I could not believe hearing the VP of Education declare a statement to the entire SRA assembly that was 100% incorrect and misleading.

I’m sure he did not do this intentionally and I do not hold anything against him personally, however the fact of the matter is: a no-board report had been request by CUPE as of October 7th (nearly 2 weeks before this statement), setting the deadline for around Oct. 30th- 31st. Moreover, the university administration continues to refuse to address any of the key issues CUPE has listed, and CUPE has made it very clear that if they are not address, they will exercise their strike mandate.

… what people have to get clear is that CUPE is not joking around and should stop being taken lightly.

Im not going to spend an eternity explaining the conditions – that can be arranged in another discussion board – however for the sake of this thread:

We are legitimate, and we have done more than the university and the MSU combined in attempting to inform the McMaster undergraduate and graduate community regarding the strike – all of this being done voluntarily. I am not saying that their hasn’t been any attempt by the MSU or the university to inform the students, however my personal experiences demonstrated that their approaches have been nothing short but a failure.

I personally have handed out over 2500 flyers within the past week– which most of you have probably heard about. Out of the 2500+ students, no more than a dozen of them actually knew what was occurring… less than 2 weeks away from a potential strike. And ironically enough, every single one of the dozen or so students that were informed of what was going on were actually giving me words of encouragement because they knew that the actions of university throughout this entire negotiation process has been unethical and irrational.

What I am trying to highlight is the inefficient and practically inexistent attempts by the MSU and university admin. to go out of their way to advise the student population of what has been going on.

I was enrolled in summer courses at McMaster and have been keeping up-to-date with the negotiation process since the beginning. CUPE wanted to reach a negotiation by the end of August to be able to carry out an uninterrupted start to the academic year… yet, 3 months, 1 conciliator, 6 cancelled mediation days later, CUPE is still waiting for a legitimate response from the university… and nearly the entire McMaster student population were completely unaware of these circumstances up until last week had it not been for the time and effort the Undergraduate Support Committee has put into attemping to get students informed.

If you read the email I sent to all of you earlier closely, I made it very clear about our stance on the issue, but I also made it clear that our overall ambition is to get students informed and directly involved regardless of their political or philosophical beliefs or perspectives towards the issue.

I’m actually glad to see the response this email generated, at least it got some of you talking.

Once again, we are not out to make enemies. I am not out to make enemies, but contrasting point of views always generate tension. We must take them with a grain of salt and try to find a solution. We do not want a strike. All we ask is for the university to negotiate fairly with our money and education.
- In solidarity and co-operation
- Alex Ramirez
Old 10-27-2009 at 02:05 AM   #23
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
I would never trust anything McMaster-related unless it's sent from a McMaster email.
Right on...Mac has its own email server(s), why would they have one and then deliberately use someone else's to distribute 'official news?'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViktorVaughn View Post
Yes, it did originate form a union member. I would bet my life on it. The unprofessionalism, language usage, and CAPSfest above is truly disgraceful in a letter of that nature.
I'm not sure I'm as confident as you are with this. No, I'm not denying the union could potentially be using underhanded tricks, but in all honesty if you look at the big deal being made on this site alone regarding the strike, I'm more inclined to believe it's some smart-alec member(s) of Macinsiders than someone directly affiliated with the union.

That or a rogue TA. Damn those TAs, we all know how much Macinsiders hates those TAs.
Old 10-27-2009 at 02:12 AM   #24
ramirez.a

Liked: 4 Times

lol have any of you guys attempted to establish a committee or association under the MSU that directly criticizes and challenges the university?
The process of becoming an 'official' committee or association is so tedious and bureaucratic that myself and the other students in the undergraduate support committee refuse to associate ourselves with it.

you can believe whatever you want as to whether this committee is a hoax created by some CUPE member. nobody is forcing you to believe me, but when you do see us active on campus, approach us for some discussion, we'd be glad to hear your thoughts
Old 10-27-2009 at 08:04 AM   #25
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

A. Ramirez, if you want people to take you and your organization seriously, at the very least, sign your mass emails with your names instead of having to do clean-up after you've sent them out. Your intentions might be good, but I don't think they've had the desired effect.

adrian, Lois like this.
Old 10-27-2009 at 08:41 AM   #26
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramirez.a View Post
Version:1.0 StartHTML:0000000105 EndHTML:0000010422 StartFragment:0000002 300 EndFragment:000001038 6 I never realized how much commotion an email with CAPS LOCK sentences would generate.

To clear the record for all of you who are wondering, I sent the email because myself and several other students 2 weeks into the school year decided to establish an independent undergraduate support committee.

Most of the responses I’ve read on the discussion board regarding this topic is rather amusing. I can understand why some of you believe it was a scam or a ‘covert committee’… I appreciate the level of critical thinking.

But to set the story straight, I – along with the Undergradaute Support Committee – are not out to make enemies or install any fear mongering, we are simply trying to get the McMaster community to inform themselves on what is going on. I chose to CAP- size specific sentences to illustrate their importance and significance.

We established the committee on September 23rd when we conducted out first meeting. Since then, we have been attending regular meetings with CUPE along with attending SRA general meetings to observe if this issue was given any priority. To our surprise, this negotiation process was shockingly given minimal attention. When CUPE’s bargaining team delivered a presentation to the SRA assembly back on September 20th regarding updates on the circumstances, I was shocked – and personally very disappointed, to witness that SRA members passed a motion to place a 25 minute time CAP on the presentation and discussion period.

…For an issue that affects the entire McMaster undergraduate and graduate community, it is beyond my comprehension as to why this issue would be given a time limit. Personally, I believe an entire meeting should have been dedicated to discussing the issues and constructing an outline to facilitate a solution. But instead, it is to my surprise that the MSU have not made this as a top priority issue, until maybe last Friday when the committee began circulating flyers around campus and the undergraduate/graduate community was finally talking about the potential likelihood of a strike.

At the SRA meeting on Oct 18th, VP Education Chris Martin made an official statement saying “there is no deadline set for a strike… the possibility of a strike is not likely”

Considering that myself and the USC have been well informed and up-to-date on the conditions and circumstances of negotiations, I could not believe hearing the VP of Education declare a statement to the entire SRA assembly that was 100% incorrect and misleading.

I’m sure he did not do this intentionally and I do not hold anything against him personally, however the fact of the matter is: a no-board report had been request by CUPE as of October 7th (nearly 2 weeks before this statement), setting the deadline for around Oct. 30th- 31st. Moreover, the university administration continues to refuse to address any of the key issues CUPE has listed, and CUPE has made it very clear that if they are not address, they will exercise their strike mandate.

… what people have to get clear is that CUPE is not joking around and should stop being taken lightly.

Im not going to spend an eternity explaining the conditions – that can be arranged in another discussion board – however for the sake of this thread:

We are legitimate, and we have done more than the university and the MSU combined in attempting to inform the McMaster undergraduate and graduate community regarding the strike – all of this being done voluntarily. I am not saying that their hasn’t been any attempt by the MSU or the university to inform the students, however my personal experiences demonstrated that their approaches have been nothing short but a failure.

I personally have handed out over 2500 flyers within the past week– which most of you have probably heard about. Out of the 2500+ students, no more than a dozen of them actually knew what was occurring… less than 2 weeks away from a potential strike. And ironically enough, every single one of the dozen or so students that were informed of what was going on were actually giving me words of encouragement because they knew that the actions of university throughout this entire negotiation process has been unethical and irrational.

What I am trying to highlight is the inefficient and practically inexistent attempts by the MSU and university admin. to go out of their way to advise the student population of what has been going on.

I was enrolled in summer courses at McMaster and have been keeping up-to-date with the negotiation process since the beginning. CUPE wanted to reach a negotiation by the end of August to be able to carry out an uninterrupted start to the academic year… yet, 3 months, 1 conciliator, 6 cancelled mediation days later, CUPE is still waiting for a legitimate response from the university… and nearly the entire McMaster student population were completely unaware of these circumstances up until last week had it not been for the time and effort the Undergraduate Support Committee has put into attemping to get students informed.

If you read the email I sent to all of you earlier closely, I made it very clear about our stance on the issue, but I also made it clear that our overall ambition is to get students informed and directly involved regardless of their political or philosophical beliefs or perspectives towards the issue.

I’m actually glad to see the response this email generated, at least it got some of you talking.

Once again, we are not out to make enemies. I am not out to make enemies, but contrasting point of views always generate tension. We must take them with a grain of salt and try to find a solution. We do not want a strike. All we ask is for the university to negotiate fairly with our money and education.
- In solidarity and co-operation
- Alex Ramirez

You know what's another good way to put
emphasis on a paragraph instead of spamming caplocks?

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-27-2009 at 08:51 AM   #27
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Quote:
lol have any of you guys attempted to establish a committee or association under the MSU that directly criticizes and challenges the university?
Have you? Because If you wanted 'club status,' It's not *that* difficult. And, I'm sure you would have been more than welcomed at the University Affairs committee that includes items in its purpose similar to what you've mentioned, is already established, and is always seeking more volunteers and discussion.

Quote:
The process of becoming an 'official' committee or association is so tedious and bureaucratic that myself and the other students in the undergraduate support committee refuse to associate ourselves with it.
I'd imagine it would be tedious since you'd probably get a lot of strange looks for trying to create something that already exists as an established and credible forum.

Bureaucracy exists for a reason. The key is to know the game and get through it as best you can. What I just read from you guys seems to suggest that research was missing from your plans. Try attending the University Affairs committee to see what they're actually up to. Everyone is always welcomed at those. If you cannot attend, at least email their commissioner. All the information can be found here: https://www.msumcmaster.ca/studentGo...ityAffairs.htm

Because you didn't even try to go through channels already established by students, you're missing some key information.

Last edited by temara.brown : 10-27-2009 at 08:55 AM.

adrian, AYuen, lorend like this.
Old 10-27-2009 at 09:20 AM   #28
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post

You know what's another good way to put
emphasis on a paragraph instead of spamming caplocks?
Don't for get the DIRE IMPORTANCE of underlining!!!!!
Old 10-27-2009 at 09:32 AM   #29
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

The chair of Political Science has just written and confirmed ALL tutorials in Political Science courses WILL be cancelled in the event of a strike. Please see attached email.

Quote:
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 9:40 AM
Subject: [D-polifa] If there is a TA strike
To: [email protected]
Cc: "Mason, Rose" <[email protected]>, Kathleen Hannan <[email protected]> , Manuela Dozzi <[email protected] mcmaster.ca>

Dear Colleagues,

Teaching assistants will be in a position to strike on Oct. 31st. I do not know what the likelihood of a strike is, but I am forwarding this information today so that you will be prepared in the event of a strike. This is especially important if you are thinking of holding classes off campus (see number 2 below).

General statements about faculty rights and responsibilities are laid out in:

Rights and Responsibilities of Faculty During Work Stoppages at
http://www.mcmaster.ca/mufa/handbook/workstop.html

Some department specific information about how we will handle things:

1. Classes will be held, tutorials will not be held.

All classes will continue to be held at the undergraduate and graduate level. Tutorials will be cancelled. All MUFA and CUPE unit 2 (sessionals) instructors will continue to carry out their existing duties.

2. Moving classes off campus
In the past some instructors have opted to move classes off campus. If you wish to do this there are some important procedures to follow (instructions attached):
i. Class space must be arranged / rented / leased in the name of McMaster and not the individual or Department’s name.
ii. Any expenses will be covered by the faculty member.
iii. Faculty member is responsible for notifying all students.
iv. Faculty member must notify their Chair, the Chair passes this information to the Dean.
v. Faculty member and the Chair must inspect and ensure that the alternative location is reasonable, accessible and safe.
vi. Appropriate checklist must be filled out by instructor and Chair. Failure to follow these steps may leave the instructor personally liable in the event of an accident. (Form attached).
vii. Office staff will not assist with making alternative arrangements for off campus classes.

Holding classes off campus poses a number of difficult personal and logistical obstacles for faculty and students. It is up to the instructor to make suitable arrangements. One suggestion is that you may wish to consider making a donation to the union’s strike fund and spend some time on the picket line to show your support rather than moving classes to another location.

3. TAs that cross the Picket Line
There may well be TAs who choose not to participate in the strike. The University and the Department must respect that decision. We will send an e-mail to our TAs saying that the assumption is that they are all on strike. If someone chooses to continue working they must identify themselves to Rose Mason so that their pay can continue. In most cases it is not practical to have them continue TA duties so they will be reassigned to RA duties or help out with Departmental tasks. They will not be asked to do the work of other TAs and will not hold tutorials since this would create unequal access for our undergraduate students.

4. Assignments etc.
Given the large size of our first and second year classes it is impossible for faculty to mark student assignments. In the event of a strike collect the student’s work according to your existing schedules. Store the work and have the TAs mark it upon their return.

If there is a strike and you have any concerns about these measures, please come and speak to me.

Regards,
Robert

Dr. Robert O'Brien
LIUNA / Mancinelli Professor in Global Labour Issues

Chair
Department of Political Science
McMaster University
1280 Main Street West
Hamilton, Ontario
L8S 4M4
Canada

Tel: 001-905-525-9140 ext. 24420
Fax: 001-905-527-3071
E-mail: [email protected]

webpage:
http://www.socsci.mcmaster.c a/poli...ertobrien.html

Co-Editor Global Social Policy
http://gsp.sagepub.com/

Email Confidentiality statement: http://www.socsci.mcmaster.c a/emcs.html
Old 10-27-2009 at 12:14 PM   #30
jordko

Liked: 13 Times

Thats so strange, the email address doesn't seem legit. I read about a strike on mcmaster blog but who knows if it will happen.