MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
laptops and programs - HELP degrootegirl First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-31-2011 06:02 PM
Hp Envy 14 vs Lenovo ThinkPad X220 vs. Dell XPS 15z .... which one would u guys take husayn12 Computers & Tech 27 06-08-2011 06:43 PM
laptops during university Mango99 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 23 05-23-2011 03:07 PM
WIN a Lenovo A63 & 2 22" LCD Monitors! blackdragon Computers & Tech 0 06-28-2010 05:23 PM
Laptops... laffand General Discussion 201 07-24-2009 10:38 PM

Lenovo vs Sony Laptops

Old 08-24-2011 at 04:54 PM   #1
Kajeevan

Liked: 7 Times

Lenovo vs Sony Laptops
Which do you guys think is better for normal usage (Word Processing, Internet):
Sony VAIO E Series or Lenovo T420? I'm probably going to get one with an i5 2410m and an Intel HD 3000 and I think I could get similar specs for either laptop for about the same price. I'm looking for good build quality, battery life and portability.If there is another laptop with an i5 and HD 3000 with better build quality, battery life and portability, please recommended them.
Thanks
Old 08-24-2011 at 05:02 PM   #2
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Honestly for normal usage. Why should it matter. Just have something that's not ancient and is affordable with a decent battery life.

You don't need a supercomputer to process Microsoft word and internetz.

Kajeevan says thanks to Cliu91 for this post.

Old 08-24-2011 at 05:10 PM   #3
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

I'm using the Dell 14R, same specs as those laptops, i5-2410, and integrated intel HD 3000 graphics. I think its roughly the same in battery life, weight etc when compared to those two, i chose the Dell specifically because its 14" and at the time when i bought it (maybe 2nd quarter of this year) it was the only available 14 inch model with those specs. You're good with any of those laptops. If you want more portability, maybe consider buying a 14 inch like i did. Hasn't disappointed me yet.

Kajeevan says thanks to adaptation for this post.

Kajeevan likes this.
Old 08-24-2011 at 05:18 PM   #4
InsideMINDS

Liked: 11 Times

For the usage your describing, i dont think you should be paying the premium for either brand name. If you can find a good price, the newer lenovos around $1000 are your best bet. Sony's laptop line does not carry the quality that the Sony name usually does. Your better off with Asus.

On the other end, if your looking for a cheaper laptop i just wrote a post about the best (easy to attain at bestbuy or futureshop). Its the on the forum:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...8.html?t=47248

Kajeevan says thanks to InsideMINDS for this post.

Kajeevan likes this.
Old 08-24-2011 at 05:50 PM   #5
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
Honestly for normal usage. Why should it matter. Just have something that's not ancient and is affordable with a decent battery life.

You don't need a supercomputer to process Microsoft word and internetz.
Need. quad. core. to. browse. face.book.

Kajeevan likes this.
Old 08-24-2011 at 06:40 PM   #6
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideMINDS View Post
For the usage your describing, i dont think you should be paying the premium for either brand name. If you can find a good price, the newer lenovos around $1000 are your best bet. Sony's laptop line does not carry the quality that the Sony name usually does. Your better off with Asus.

On the other end, if your looking for a cheaper laptop i just wrote a post about the best (easy to attain at bestbuy or futureshop). Its the on the forum:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...8.html?t=47248
lenovo has much better build quality and reliability compared to sony vaio, if you don't need the build quality you can purchase a lenovo e420 which is 500-600 bucks. In regards to Asus, an i3 K53sv would be more than enough and it's roughly ~$600.

Kajeevan says thanks to ShouldBeStudying for this post.

Kajeevan likes this.
Old 08-24-2011 at 06:56 PM   #7
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajeevan View Post
Which do you guys think is better for normal usage (Word Processing, Internet):
Sony VAIO E Series or Lenovo T420? I'm probably going to get one with an i5 2410m and an Intel HD 3000 and I think I could get similar specs for either laptop for about the same price. I'm looking for good build quality, battery life and portability.If there is another laptop with an i5 and HD 3000 with better build quality, battery life and portability, please recommended them.
Thanks

You're Welcome

http://shoplenovo.i2.com/SEUILibrary...ibmeppfriendca

(The base T420 with i3 is $590, Core it @ $664) Just remember to put in the coupon code at the end! The build quality and reliability of the Lenovo is miles ahead of the Sony, it would be better for you in the long run!

I just personally ordered the high end T420 with the NVS Quaddro since I do basic gaming and design work for around $850ish.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Kajeevan says thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.

Kajeevan likes this.
Old 08-24-2011 at 07:17 PM   #8
pavlov

Liked: 72 Times

I would personally buy Lenovo from those two. But to be quite honest I would buy ASUS. I cannot say enough of how well built they are and the functionality you get for the price you pay.

Kajeevan says thanks to pavlov for this post.

Kajeevan likes this.
Old 08-25-2011 at 07:12 AM   #9
InsideMINDS

Liked: 11 Times

A lot of people don't seem to know that Sony isnt anything special when it comes to laptops, its false brand equity. Sony dosen't really mean much when it comes to anything anymore, they are no longer as premium or reliable as they used to be. I read an article recently about how the newest Sony products seemed to have planed obsolescence for one year now.

Kajeevan says thanks to InsideMINDS for this post.

Kajeevan, RyanC like this.
Old 08-25-2011 at 10:33 AM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideMINDS View Post
A lot of people don't seem to know that Sony isnt anything special when it comes to laptops, its false brand equity. Sony dosen't really mean much when it comes to anything anymore, they are no longer as premium or reliable as they used to be. I read an article recently about how the newest Sony products seemed to have planed obsolescence for one year now.
One year doesn't sound too bad... what are the time frames for other companies?