Les Prince '08 Chad Les Prince Forum 13 08-25-2008 06:16 PM
Les Prince Shreya Les Prince Forum 5 08-03-2008 10:28 PM

Les Prince

Old 07-05-2008 at 05:07 AM   #1
annci

Liked: 0 Times

Les Prince
Hi!
My daughter and her friend got their first choice---Les Prince.
Does anyone know the colour scheme on the third floor?
Old 07-07-2008 at 11:51 AM   #2
sakiorio

Hey!

The colour scheme of Les prince is actually a rainbow

1st floor - red
2nd floor - orange
3rd floor - yellow
4th floor- green
5th floor - blue
6th floor - purple
Old 07-07-2008 at 11:49 PM   #3
Kayli

Liked: 1 Time

Oooooo, is the first floor a dark red, or a crappy orangy one?
Old 07-08-2008 at 01:32 AM   #4
Cippi

It's a pretty striking darker red - it's the 2nd floor that has the somewhat ickier orange one :p I don't think much of those colours actually extend into the residence rooms, though, with the exception of the back of the door - I'm pretty sure the colours are confined to the hallways/common areas, and the room walls are all white. So, you'll have a bit of an accent colour with the door, but matching decor isn't really a huge issue. I didn't live there, though, so I may be missing some of the subtle colour touches (I never noticed - is the bathroom door painted too?), but someone feel free to correct me.
Old 07-08-2008 at 02:37 AM   #5
Kayli

WOW! You know a LOT! Don't worry about the details though. I was more concerned with the shade of the colour, really, cuz it sounds like it's my favourite one. I know, mucho importante, eh?
Old 07-08-2008 at 11:15 AM   #6
sakiorio

I was actually in LP last year. The only time you see your floor colour is on your door and your washroom door. A little warning though - your washroom floor tiles are also that same colour - UNLESS you live on sixth floor. Our floors were dark gray.
Old 07-08-2008 at 12:09 PM   #7
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

six floor is awesome in a sense that its higher ceilings, making your room appear much bigger. but then if you live on the side facing the front.. it gets too hot and bright in the morning.. hard to sleep in even w/ the blinds. at least that's how i felt. and hopefully constructoin is over soon for the stadium.. cause the wake me up all the time. but les prince is awesome.
Old 07-08-2008 at 01:58 PM   #8
Kayli

I notice a lot of people complaining about the distance between Les Prince and everything else, but I don't really think that'll be a problem, and I'm sure Les Prince has a lot of pros, too. What kinda things did you guys like best about it?
Old 07-09-2008 at 11:25 AM   #9
Eva C
Elite Member

i really enjoyed my own privacy of the washroom. eventhought it is a hassle to clean it every so often, its still really nice. i don't have to carry a bunch of stuff to a common washroom. The study rooms are really nice with wireless connections in them. the best study rooms in residences in my opinion. the distance isn't a big deal, just have to leave another 2 minutes ahead to make up for the time, but i really didn't notice it that much. the laundry room is nice w/ good laundry machines compared to other res, nice games room in my opinion. and nice lobby and elevators. you'll all enjoy it!

annci, Kayli all say thanks to Eva C for this post.
Old 07-09-2008 at 07:44 PM   #10
Kayli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva C View Post
i really enjoyed my own privacy of the washroom. eventhought it is a hassle to clean it every so often, its still really nice. i don't have to carry a bunch of stuff to a common washroom. The study rooms are really nice with wireless connections in them. the best study rooms in residences in my opinion. the distance isn't a big deal, just have to leave another 2 minutes ahead to make up for the time, but i really didn't notice it that much. the laundry room is nice w/ good laundry machines compared to other res, nice games room in my opinion. and nice lobby and elevators. you'll all enjoy it!

That's good to hear....er, see. I'm mostly looking forward to my private washroom; that's for sure. Everything else I guess I'll have to look at still, since I've never even seen Les Prince from the inside before, but I'm not really worried about the quality.

I heard that there's no possibility for cable in the private rooms. Is that true? If so, why is that? Cuz I wouldn't expect that from the newest building on campus.
And is there wireless in the private rooms, or how does that work? (I'm not that skilled with computers, so I appologize if I end up sounding stupid. lol)
Old 07-09-2008 at 08:09 PM   #11
Eva C
Elite Member

there is only wireless in les prince in the study rooms of each floor and no where else. so no wireless in your room. if you want, you can bring your own router for your own wireless.
why would you need cable in the washroom ?
Old 07-09-2008 at 08:48 PM   #12
Kayli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva C View Post
there is only wireless in les prince in the study rooms of each floor and no where else. so no wireless in your room. if you want, you can bring your own router for your own wireless.
why would you need cable in the washroom ?

Hahaha! Oh, sheesh, hahaha! By 'private rooms' I meant, like, the single or double rooms that we live in; as in, not study or common rooms. lol Ah, I'm so embarrassed. Just to think that you thought I was asking about internet in the bathroom. lol I kno, not a big deal, but I still consider that awkward. lol

Thanx for the tip about the router tho. I wouldn't have thought that to be necessary, but now I'll definitely bring one.
Old 07-09-2008 at 09:13 PM   #13
Eva C
Elite Member

haha. i read wrong too. haha and too quickly. so no there is no wireless in your own rooms. only common rooms. rmb to set a password so no one else steals it, or if you want to share it you can give the password to your friends.
Old 07-09-2008 at 09:23 PM   #14
Kayli

Ok, thanx. I wouldn't have known that. And do you know why there's no cable in the BEDrooms?
Old 07-10-2008 at 12:05 AM   #15
Cippi

I don't know if the rooms in Les Prince are wired for cable if you want it (they are in all the other buildings) - you'll have to wait for a response from a former resident for that or contact Housing and ask.

What I can tell you is that in my 4 years of residence, I only knew 2 people who ever actually got it hooked up in their room, and that was in first year. I believe the reason why it's not popular is pretty simple - DC++. You may not have heard yet, but that's an incredibly fast internal file-sharing network within the residences. If you ever used Limewire or the like, it's similar to that - only you can get a song in under 5 seconds, and a movie in under 10 minutes (that's because the traffic is confined to only what is being shared on the residence network, which is much faster than the normal internet).

The upshot of this is that most people just download all the TV shows they want to watch, so they can watch them at their convenience. It's pretty amazing, shows appear on DC++ within hours after (or sometimes before) they air on TV, so there's not a lot of waiting involved. Also, some shows just seem to lend themselves to being watched socially, so everyone gathers in the common room to watch it together (the biggest culprit here in the last couple of years has been Grey's Anatomy).

As for wireless, as Eva said, it wasn't designed to have it available in the bedrooms. Based on talking to some former residents, I believe you may get some spillover signal into your room from the study rooms which may be usable depending on where you are in the building (i.e., if your room is near the study rooms). Like Eva also said, bringing a wireless router and plugging it into the ethernet jack in your room also will give you wireless there (and the surrounding rooms if you don't lock it down with a password). This is not officially supported by MacOnline (so don't ask them how to configure it!), but people have done it successfully in the past in many buildings.