MacInsiders Logo

Let's get philosophical.

Old 10-01-2009 at 10:17 PM   #1
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Let's get philosophical.
What would result in you dying happy (let's all agree that happy is subjective)?

For me, knowing that there's life on another planet and knowing that this isn't all there is would satisfy me.

And by life, I don't mean other humans. And if it is other humans, I hope they're not like us. I realize this is asking a lot.

1, 2, 3, go!

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-01-2009 at 10:22 PM   #2
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

1) Having been successful enough in life to travel the world
2) Having a great family, with a loving wife
3) Seeing my children grow to be even more successful than me

I agree with the finding life on another planet sentiment, the only reason it wouldn't factor in myself dying happy is because knowing how huge the universe is, I consider it a given that life exists elsewhere... I'm just waiting for the confirmation of something I'm already sure of.
Old 10-01-2009 at 10:24 PM   #3
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
1) Having been successful enough in life to travel the world
2) Having a great family, with a loving wife
3) Seeing my children grow to be even more successful than me

I agree with the finding life on another planet sentiment, the only reason it wouldn't factor in myself dying happy is because knowing how huge the universe is, I consider it a given that life exists elsewhere... I'm just waiting for the confirmation of something I'm already sure of.
Yes, I'm sure of it too. The odds are all for it. XD It would just be REALLY nice to know. Nothing else would make me feel better.

Old 10-01-2009 at 10:32 PM   #4
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

The Leafs winning the Stanley Cup.

Kevin S, Willmountain, ytpos like this.
Old 10-01-2009 at 10:50 PM   #5
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

i would die happy, if i was accepted into Macs Med school.

adrian likes this.
Old 10-02-2009 at 05:02 AM   #6
hmmmcurious

Liked: 9 Times

Due to the expansion of the universe, and the speed limit of all information transfer in the universe, it is unlikely that we will ever make contact with other intelligent life. They could just be too far away...
Old 10-02-2009 at 09:45 AM   #7
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

I would die happily if I see that it doesn't hurt everyone I love

not accomplishing anything in life would mean nothing to me when I am dying, because everyone has to die and seeing that I am through life would be satisfaction enough
Old 10-02-2009 at 10:47 AM   #8
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmmcurious View Post
Due to the expansion of the universe, and the speed limit of all information transfer in the universe, it is unlikely that we will ever make contact with other intelligent life. They could just be too far away...
a) I don't care about intelligent life per se, just life in general
b) you're of course correct from what we know, but intelligent life elsewhere could be advanced to a point where they are capable of contacting us. This is one of the reasons why it's so captivating... the possibilities are literally endless.

lawleypop likes this.
Old 10-02-2009 at 10:50 AM   #9
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
a) I don't care about intelligent life per se, just life in general
b) you're of course correct from what we know, but intelligent life elsewhere could be advanced to a point where they are capable of contacting us. This is one of the reasons why it's so captivating... the possibilities are literally endless.
Agreed. I don't care about intelligent life. Just life in general. Nothing would make me happier than to know that there's life other than humans on another planet. -dreams-

Also agree with b. ****, that would be awesome.

Old 10-02-2009 at 12:50 PM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
What would result in you dying happy (let's all agree that happy is subjective)? [...] 1, 2, 3, go!
  • Completing and successfully defending a PhD.
  • (Finally) owning a dog (or two, or three) [loooong story, don't ask]
  • Being in a happy and loving relationship for the rest of my life/their life with an amazing partner
  • Seeing and photographing Chichen Itza again

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-02-2009 at 12:53 PM   #11
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
  • Completing and successfully defending a PhD.
  • (Finally) owning a dog (or two, or three) [loooong story, don't ask]
  • Being in a happy and loving relationship for the rest of my life/their life with an amazing partner
  • Seeing and photographing Chichen Itza again
Oh man, you've never owned a dog? You're missing out. Nothing is more loyal. I couldn't live without my dog.

At least you got to see the Chichen once! XD Musta been an epic feeling.

Old 10-02-2009 at 01:00 PM   #12
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Oh man, you've never owned a dog? You're missing out. Nothing is more loyal. I couldn't live without my dog.

At least you got to see the Chichen once! XD Musta been an epic feeling.
I know, lol. My family was away a lot during the year so it was impractical to have one. I don't have the time and/or space to get one now, so I have to wait awhile still. I've always been around them (friends, extended family, I was a dog-walker when I was younger etc), so I'm not completely canine-deficient.

I went to Chichen Itza when I was eleven. It was the whole reason I became interested in the Maya as well as Anthropology. Since then not only has a lot more information from the site been developed, there is a better understanding of the Mayan society and culture during that time. Because I know a lot more now I think the experience would be that much better as an adult...and I wouldn't be so tired from walking around the site.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-02-2009 at 02:54 PM   #13
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

I'll be happy with finishing my degree before my dad dies. Yes, i know it sounds bad to think of him as dying, but with emphysema and an aneurysm, the clock is ticking. I've put him through a lot of shit over the years, and it would be nice to be able to show him that did it before he goes.

lawleypop, pinkshuniza like this.
Old 10-02-2009 at 03:09 PM   #14
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Someone going out and undoing the rapid growth of Evangelical Christians across the United States of America.

lawleypop, Taunton like this.
Old 10-02-2009 at 03:10 PM   #15
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Someone going out and undoing the rapid growth of Evangelical Christians across the United States of America.
Amen, brotha!
=P