MacInsiders Logo

Let's get philosophical.

Old 10-14-2009 at 11:27 PM   #61
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duarch View Post
That's the same logic I used when I figured it out after gr. 11 genetics.

ANOTHER:
How do you know you're alive and not sleeping this entire life (kind of like the matrix)... oooooooh
I've never seen people jump buildings or randomly transforming into well dressed people that can move incredibly fast. Therefore this life is not part of the matrix.

But in all seriousness you would never be able to know because it is beyond what you can experience.
Old 10-15-2009 at 07:27 AM   #62
hmmmcurious

Liked: 9 Times

Any views on free will?
Old 10-15-2009 at 07:51 AM   #63
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I've never seen people jump buildings or randomly transforming into well dressed people that can move incredibly fast. Therefore this life is not part of the matrix.

But in all seriousness you would never be able to know because it is beyond what you can experience.
yea its like that cave plato thought of where there are people chained up in a dark cave facing a wall their entire lives and only see the shadows of the objects behind them..from a fire i think, thats all they can see so thats what they think reality is, and it relates to the tree falling down cuz...what if we just cant sense spirits and stuff...doesnt mean it doesnt exist though
Old 10-15-2009 at 08:43 AM   #64
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duarch View Post
How do you know you're alive and not sleeping this entire life (kind of like the matrix)... oooooooh
It can't be done, we can never know for sure. HOWEVER, without any sort of evidence to point towards this, but the evidence of our senses to point towards this world as being real, we have no reason to believe that this world is not real. Making any sort of decision or living life based on the fact that this might not be the real world would be irrational (unless that choice involves a red pill or a blue pill )

If you have five patients who need an organ transplant to live (different organs for each one, and for whatever reason all patients are incompatible with each other), and a healthy man in the waiting room who happens to be a match for all of them, is it moral to kill the one man to save the five others?
Old 10-15-2009 at 08:47 AM   #65
Marlowe
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmmcurious View Post
Any views on free will?
I'll hold off on my views for now, but I do want to add one of my favourite thought problems for free will:

For whatever reason, today the decision to stay inside your house or to leave it is a highly political one (ie staying inside shows support for one party, going outside shows support for another). A man makes the decision to stay inside his house. Is it still free will if it turns out the house was sealed from the outside (in a manner that prevented him from leaving) the whole time?
Old 10-15-2009 at 11:09 AM   #66
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Marlowe View Post
I'll hold off on my views for now, but I do want to add one of my favourite thought problems for free will:

For whatever reason, today the decision to stay inside your house or to leave it is a highly political one (ie staying inside shows support for one party, going outside shows support for another). A man makes the decision to stay inside his house. Is it still free will if it turns out the house was sealed from the outside (in a manner that prevented him from leaving) the whole time?
Yes, I believe it is. He may not have been capable of leaving if he wanted to, but he didn't want to, so that renders the point moot.

I'm not much of a philosophy person, but when it comes to free will, I believe that every person is fully autonomous.
Old 10-15-2009 at 11:17 AM   #67
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:

Maybe I'm missing the point, but it's free will... he chose to stay in. He didn't know he wouldn't be able to leave even if he wanted to so his house being sealed had no impact on his decision. o_O

I think I'm missing something. It seems obvious to me.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-15-2009 at 11:45 AM   #68
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
I'm not much of a philosophy person, but when it comes to free will, I believe that every person is fully autonomous.
What's the source of this autonomy? How do we make decisions?

Namely, how does it go from particles reacting to forces, like a stone rolling down a cliff, to conscious, autonomous decisions?

-----------------------

Everyone but Taunton please disregard (unless you don't mind jumping back to a previous topic):

Just a subnote, I don't mean to jump back to the previous topic (we can continue this topic by PM or in a new thread) because I never got a chance to defend my point :p...but regarding infinity, the simple answer is, it can't be 'proven' because otherwise it would be a theorem...and not an axiom. It's true, but of course that's not satisfying, haha...so I'll try to explain the discrepancy here with an example.

The motivation for infinity certainly isn't as trivial as you're making it seem...ie. "Oh, obviously infinity exists." It was a highly controversial subject initially rejected by mathematicians, and perhaps even moreso, by its discoverer Georg Cantor (who ultimately went insane from the concept and died before the mathematics community recognized his idea).

What you were trying to demonstrate (I believe) is a valid proof technique in math which 'proves something is infinite.'

Here's an example: How do I know there are infinitely many prime numbers? Well, I take any arbitrarily large collection of primes, and find a new one that's not in my set...so I conclude that the set is infinite.

Except the detail I've glossed over is that we've actually used the Axiom of Infinity! In other words, this is only a valid conclusion because we've explicitly stated (without proof) that infinity exists. What we've 'actually' shown is that there are more prime numbers than we could count...but we probably could never count to 100,000,000,000,000,0 00,000,000,000,000,00 0,000,000,000 in our lifetime (which is certainly not infinite). In other words, we've shown there are an arbitrarily large number of primes, which we could never contain, but to make the leap and say 'it's infact infinite' requires an axiom, which we can't prove.

Even the concept that numbers 'wrap around' or never end isn't immediately obvious...I mean it kind of is nowadays because we've been bombarded with the idea that 'numbers go on forever.'

But think about it, even if you designate a 'counter' for every generation, and have them count for their entire lives until they die, designating a new counter to continue where they left off...you'll never find that numbers go on forever! Infact, you'll find that someday, after a large number of generations, the chain 'breaks' for whatever reason and you end on some very very large number.

Computers which count can only store a certain amount of information, so they certainly aren't a good motivator for infinity...

So pause for a sec and really think about what 'real world' grounds there are for belief in infinity...well, the idea you touched upon is that people use the concept to get some answers (to problems which likely have no grounds in the 'real world')...but this is exactly what some people do with God, they get answers for problems which don't necessarily lie in the 'real world.' (And of course by real world, I mean 'scientifically verifiable' world)

Infact, some people very closely associate the concepts of God and of infinity.

Oh, and I forgot to mention a rather important point: You can prove the non-existence of something, and it happens all the time (I've shown previously that you can't do it with anything supernatural, like God, but it occurs all the time with 'natural' things)

(So my point is that the argument that 'God can't be disproven because you can't disprove anything...but since there's no proof for Him, then He must not be real' doesn't really hold any ground because you can disprove things)

For instance, if I have a math problem, I can prove that within my framework, there is no solution...which proves that something doesn't exist, right? Usually these things are proven reductio ad absurdum or 'proof by contradiction' but it's still possible to do.

EDIT: And regarding blind faith! (sorry to bombard you with stuff like this...guess it's a sign I'm on the mend though!) There are so many things in life you take on blind faith...Here's one example (of potentially many). I'm not a chemistry buff, but take the most advanced model of the atom in existence.

Do you believe this model is complete (ie. the perfect model)? Or conversely, do you believe this model can be improved upon?

In either case, you have no proof, and believe what you believe based on 'gut instinct.' In other words, blind faith.

Last edited by Mowicz : 10-15-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-15-2009 at 12:39 PM   #69
Taunton
Elite Member

On infinity: thanks for the well elaborated explanation. I think there's one point where we aren't on the same page, and I'll try to explain what I mean:

Quote:
In other words, this is only a valid conclusion because we've explicitly stated (without proof) that infinity exists.
The way that you're explaining it, to me anyways, it seems like infinity is being described as a tangible "thing" which can be "reached", which it obviously cannot. Something like infinity, which cannot be tangibly "reached" (at least based on the concept of infinity that I'm accustomed to) can't be explicitly demonstrated, which I accept.

My point is that, at least in my mind, you can always add or remove a number (for simplicity's sake, let's say 1) from or to a number. So, in a way, you're never going to "reach" infinity, but it can be concluded that infinity must be a valid concept anyways because there's nothing that can prevent you from adding (or subtracting) from a number to infinitum. I suppose it's more of a philosophical concept than a scientific concept, since by it's own definition, infinity cannot be explicitly reached.

I'll express what I mean with your example: let's say each generation of people had a "counter" who counted their whole lives. Very likely (in reality) the tradition would likely break (ending at a number, rather than "infinity"). BUT, what's to stop someone from picking back up again and continuing to count? Nothing, right? THAT'S why infinity must "exist". There's nothing, that I know of, that could stop a number from being added to. There's no "barrier" (that we know of at least) that could stop you, or me, or anyone from simply adding more numbers to a pre-existing number. Again, I understand that this isn't scientific, and it's more philosophical... and maybe it's a different (possibly even new?) definition for infinity? I'd like to see your thoughts on this.

On proving non-existence: I accept that the sweeping generalization that "you can't prove something doesn't exist" doesn't apply in all cases. You provided one example of a math problem with no solution. To that I say: maths is the only scientific way to actually "prove" anything. Remember that in science, we don't "prove" things, we "disprove" them (which I should be more careful about the use of these terms). We collect evidence for a theory, and accept the theory which has the most evidence and hasn't been disproven. You can have a theory with hundreds of years worth of work and evidence behind it, but a single finding can disprove it and the old theory and evidence is worthless!

So, on these grounds, the existence of a "god" (or any other thing, be it a rock, a teacup, or a leprochaun) cannot be disproven!

An example: I tell you that there's a wild pink rabbit living in Antarctica. It seems ridiculous, but you can't prove me wrong... how do you prove there's no wild pink rabbit living in Antarctica? You could look all you want, but when you come back with nothing, I can say "you didn't look hard enough" or "it was behind you the whole time". The only "proof" we can have in this situation is me (the believer) bringing you to Antarctica and showing you the wild pink rabbit. That's the only way to settle the disagreement.

It is on these grounds that I say, in the case of a "god", the burden of proof is always on the believer, and until such proof can be afforded there is no reason to believe in a god.

Finally, on blind faith: The example you provided is really just the scientific method. The current model of the atom is accepted because it has the most compelling evidence behind it, and it hasn't been disproven (ie it has stood up to rigorous testing by many, many people). These are reasons to believe that the theory may be correct, or even could be the most correct theory. This I would define as faith, not blind faith.

In the case of believing in a "god" and/or any religous dogma, there is no evidence or reason to believe these are true or real... they're essentially untestable hypotheses. Since they have no evidence behind them (and apparently no way to provide evidence), basing your life around them is, (in my humble opinion), not an intelligent way to live. This is what I define as blind faith. There are very few, if any, situations in life where you are forced to live your life based on blind faith (you can always learn/do reasearch ahead of time).
Old 10-15-2009 at 12:49 PM   #70
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
What's the source of this autonomy? How do we make decisions?

Namely, how does it go from particles reacting to forces, like a stone rolling down a cliff, to conscious, autonomous decisions?
I'm not about to try and explain how decisions are made based on the current scientific models on the topic (I'm not by any means a psych major). I just know that our senses collect information, and our brain processes said information. Based on the information collected, we then can make informed decisions. This is where autonomy stems from: we make our own decisions based on the information reaped from our senses and processed in our brain. We're not like an amoeba, which always moves towards certain chemical signals. We can make the decision "no, there's a lion over there by those chemical signals, so I'm not going to go there". BUT a suicidal person could go by the lion, if they wanted to. This is autonomy as I understand it.
Old 10-15-2009 at 06:43 PM   #71
Marlowe
Elite Member

Quote:
Yes, I believe it is. He may not have been capable of leaving if he wanted to, but he didn't want to, so that renders the point moot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Maybe I'm missing the point, but it's free will... he chose to stay in. He didn't know he wouldn't be able to leave even if he wanted to so his house being sealed had no impact on his decision. o_O

I think I'm missing something. It seems obvious to me.
The way I interpreted it at least, was that it questions whether or not we are free if our choices are predetermined, but that we don't know that they are predetermined. In this specific example, the man had no option but to stay in his house, but he didn't know that and figured he was making the choice for himself.
Old 10-15-2009 at 07:33 PM   #72
hmmmcurious

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
The way I interpreted it at least, was that it questions whether or not we are free if our choices are predetermined, but that we don't know that they are predetermined. In this specific example, the man had no option but to stay in his house, but he didn't know that and figured he was making the choice for himself.
This pretty much sums up my view on free will.

We think that we are free, it sure feels that way. But every single thing that happens in our universe is part of a causal chain that extends all the way back to the beginning of the universe (I'm ignoring quantum effects, but i don't believe it is completely relevant).

All our actions are just links in a a series of causally connected events. We feel like we are free, but that freedom is an illusion. You could have done nothing other than what you did.

Let me quote Schopenhauer:

Quote:
Let us imagine a man who, while standing on the street, would say to himself: ‘It is six o’clock in the evening, the working day is over. Now I can go for a walk, or I can go to the club; I can also climb up the tower to see the sun set; I can go to the theatre; I can visit this friend or that one; indeed, I also can run out of the gate, into the wide world and never return. All this is strictly up to me; in this I have complete freedom. But still, I shall do none of these things now, but with just as free a will I shall go home to my wife.’ This is exactly as if water spoke to itself: ‘I can make high waves (yes! in the sea during a storm), I can rush down hill (yes! in the river bed), I can plunge down foaming and gushing (yes! in the fountain) I can, finally, boil away and disappear (yes! at certain temperature); but I am doing none of these things now, and am voluntarily remaining quiet and clear in the reflecting pond.
Old 10-16-2009 at 12:04 PM   #73
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
On infinity: thanks for the well elaborated explanation. I think there's one point where we aren't on the same page, and I'll try to explain what I mean:

The way that you're explaining it, to me anyways, it seems like infinity is being described as a tangible "thing" which can be "reached", which it obviously cannot. Something like infinity, which cannot be tangibly "reached" (at least based on the concept of infinity that I'm accustomed to) can't be explicitly demonstrated, which I accept.

My point is that, at least in my mind, you can always add or remove a number (for simplicity's sake, let's say 1) from or to a number. So, in a way, you're never going to "reach" infinity, but it can be concluded that infinity must be a valid concept anyways because there's nothing that can prevent you from adding (or subtracting) from a number to infinitum.
This is the beauty, and the insanity, that is Mathematics. In a technical sense, the approach you're describing below is what's termed a "Successor function." Basically this means you 'add one' to something...ie. S(0) = 1, S(1) = S(S(0)) = 2, and so forth. (The reason we use a 'function' and not just the notion of adding 1 is because mathematics is built very formally...out of sets, and not numbers).

Then Mathematics goes to the next level:

Let's suppose infinity IS a number, aleph (which looks like a squiggly N). What is S(N)? S(S(N))? ... and we get an entirely new class of number called the Ordinal Numbers, which allows for a more advanced proof technique called Trans-finite Induction.

Pictorially, we're doing something like this:

Code:
0 S(0) ... N S(N) ... |---------...)------ ...
And what this means is, there is no number M such that S(M) = infinity...ie. there is no number "1 less than infinity" (otherwise we could count to infinity), but nothing stops us from adding 1 to it. Eventually you hit another wall, and get another infinity. So you add one to it...etc.

It turns out that, mathematically, the existence of one infinity implies the existence of infinitely many infinities...each one strictly containing the previous.

So even though you can't count to it, it literally is like a 'tangible thing' in mathematics.

Quote:
I suppose it's more of a philosophical concept than a scientific concept, since by it's own definition, infinity cannot be explicitly reached.
But this is exactly like God...so again I put it to you, why is it any less absurd? In all honesty, what it comes down to is the fact that you personally can fathom infinity but not God, but there are people who can do the exact opposite.

(Note: I'm not trying to get you to believe in God or anything here...infact, I'm just trying to spawn some critical thought on the subject)

Quote:
I'll express what I mean with your example: let's say each generation of people had a "counter" who counted their whole lives. Very likely (in reality) the tradition would likely break (ending at a number, rather than "infinity"). BUT, what's to stop someone from picking back up again and continuing to count? Nothing, right? THAT'S why infinity must "exist". There's nothing, that I know of, that could stop a number from being added to. There's no "barrier" (that we know of at least) that could stop you, or me, or anyone from simply adding more numbers to a pre-existing number. Again, I understand that this isn't scientific, and it's more philosophical...
The irony of it is, your proof, which isn't grounded in strict axioms or anything verifiable, comes down to philosophy, as you've mentioned. But again, why is a philosophical argument for, say, God "obviously rubbish" while this argument for infinity (which I agree with, but I acknowledge that it's more of a 'belief' in infinity) makes sense to you?

And of course I'm not saying accept any specific argument, etc. because there are decent, as well as crappy, arguments for both sides...I'm just saying, neither side is really down for the count beyond reasonable doubt.

Quote:
and maybe it's a different (possibly even new?) definition for infinity? I'd like to see your thoughts on this.
The irony is, this philosophical definition of infinity you're pitching, that infinity is that which is unattainable but always striven for, is one possible definition for God and was actually what I was refering to when I said some closely associate infinity and God.

Quote:
On proving non-existence: I accept that the sweeping generalization that "you can't prove something doesn't exist" doesn't apply in all cases. You provided one example of a math problem with no solution. To that I say: maths is the only scientific way to actually "prove" anything.
A few years back I would have agreed with you...but after looking into the foundations of Math, looking at some of the history behind it, I can't put my full trust in it.

In the early 1900s I believe (the math is true, not necessarily the history/dates :p) Bertrand Russell found a fundamental flaw in the current model of arithmetic by creating a paradox. The statement is:

"Let X be the set of all sets which are not elements of themselves. Then, is X an element of X?"

A layman's example of this paradox is "This sentence is false." It is true, then when you reread it, it becomes false...then true...etc. There is no answer.

This essentially broke mathematics and sent mathematicians, logicians and physicists into a panic, everyone thought Math was breaking. It turns out that years later, Math was reformulated using (the modern day) Zermelo-Frankel set theory. It resolved the paradox by ultimately deciding that X could not be a set, and no set can be an element of itself.

So today we have this theory, and we have no known holes...no known holes. This does not mean there are none, and likely there are many problems with our current theory, as with science as you pointed out below.

But the point is, even a mathematical truth, which to some extent is more valid than a scientific truth as you mentioned, is still to be taken with a grain of salt...and this is because if we do find some fundamental flaw with the system we're using, we may have proven things which were actually false, or disproven things which were actually true.

We'd essentially be back at square 1.

Personally, I believe math is well-formed, and that it isn't a big walking contradiction (otherwise I wouldn't be studying it), but it is something I believe without realistic grounds. Infact, the odds of this theory being 'the correct theory' are rather slim, because hey, we already found problems in the past, why not again?

Quote:
Remember that in science, we don't "prove" things, we "disprove" them (which I should be more careful about the use of these terms). We collect evidence for a theory, and accept the theory which has the most evidence and hasn't been disproven. You can have a theory with hundreds of years worth of work and evidence behind it, but a single finding can disprove it and the old theory and evidence is worthless!

So, on these grounds, the existence of a "god" (or any other thing, be it a rock, a teacup, or a leprochaun) cannot be disproven!
Correction: By your set of rules they cannot be disproven.

But who's to say science is the correct method of analysis? Science? Scientists?

See where I'm going with this? No I can't think of anything better, no one can and that's the whole problem...but people, even scientists who understand the inherent flaws of their method of deduction (as you clearly do, based on your explanation) must acknowledge that everything could and perhaps even should be reworked into a more powerful system.

And thus, the postulation that something may lie externally to this system of rules, of measurements, is not entirely absurd. I'm not going to explicitly state that it's God, or an afterlife, but to conclude with absolute certainty "God cannot exist because we cannot detect him" is in my opinion, naive...and given your grasp of science, I really can't figure out why you think science is all-encompassing. Your example (or rather one much like it) is why I lost respect for science in some sense...not that I don't think it's a remarkable tool, but I no longer look at it with those innocent "Science knows everything! ^_^" eyes.

Because it is exactly that...a tool.

Quote:
An example: I tell you that there's a wild pink rabbit living in Antarctica. It seems ridiculous, but you can't prove me wrong... how do you prove there's no wild pink rabbit living in Antarctica? You could look all you want, but when you come back with nothing, I can say "you didn't look hard enough" or "it was behind you the whole time". The only "proof" we can have in this situation is me (the believer) bringing you to Antarctica and showing you the wild pink rabbit. That's the only way to settle the disagreement.
Yep, it's the "all crows are black" paradox. I'm confused here though as to what your point is. You've shown me an inherent flaw, a problem with science...essentially you're saying science, in its current form, will never know the truth and does not claim to. Like I said above, something very well may lie externally, and we'll never know unless we re-vamp the criteria for scientific truth (which may not even be possible).

Quote:
It is on these grounds that I say, in the case of a "god", the burden of proof is always on the believer, and until such proof can be afforded there is no reason to believe in a god.
You're only saying that because you're a non-believer.

Put the shoe on the other foot...to a believer, the burden of disproof is on the non-believer.

And as I've shown above, both perspectives are naive. To be precise, I gave a formal argument which says "You can only prove theorems which you can prove." If something is suggested to lie outside a system, it cannot be proven or disproven, and as a special case, God, who if He exists, is above and beyond science, cannot be proven or disproven by science.

To give a silly analogy, it's like trying to measure an angle with a ruler, then saying "The angle does not exist because I can't measure it." The rules of science, the scientific method, are just a means of deduction, a system of measurement.

As you've suggested (I didn't even have to), it's far from perfect.

Quote:
Finally, on blind faith: The example you provided is really just the scientific method.
That was my whole point though...I'm saying the scientific method is based on faith. Do you know any scientific principle is actually the truth?

Quote:
The current model of the atom is accepted because it has the most compelling evidence behind it, and it hasn't been disproven (ie it has stood up to rigorous testing by many, many people). These are reasons to believe that the theory may be correct, or even could be the most correct theory. This I would define as faith, not blind faith.
The problem is, it's your arbitrary definition. Why is 'faith' any different from 'blind faith' ? In either case, one is blind to the truth, and only uses their best judgment to approximate truth.

All you're doing here, is making a new 'inferior' demographic and labelling yourself as external to it for an arbitrary reason. It's like a grade 9 saying "Look at all those minor niners."

Faith is faith is faith: Belief in absence of proof.

Quote:
In the case of believing in a "god" and/or any religous dogma, there is no evidence or reason to believe these are true or real...
Correction: No scientific evidence to support them.

Suppose a miracle occured, I dunno...like it rained fire or something equally dramatic. Something which made everyone go "Whoa" and was convincing beyond reasonable doubt that there are supernatural forces at play.

This would not be repeatable and hence not scientific. Evidence sure, but not testable, verifiable evidence.

Again: Are you trying to argue that science is perfect? You really were arguing the exact opposite a moment ago.

Quote:
they're essentially untestable hypotheses. Since they have no evidence behind them (and apparently no way to provide evidence), basing your life around them is, (in my humble opinion), not an intelligent way to live. This is what I define as blind faith. There are very few, if any, situations in life where you are forced to live your life based on blind faith (you can always learn/do reasearch ahead of time).
Here's how to sum up the discrepancy here:

Life is a game. A casino, infact. You, a master of Blackjack (science) stumble upon a master of Gin Rummy (religious theism).

Whose deck of cards do you play with? What table do you play at?

Being masters of each game, when playing blackjack, obviously you win...when playing Gin Rummy, obviously you lose.

So naturally, you and the other master start to get frustrated. "I want to play with my deck" "No...we're going to play with mine."

Little do you both realize, you're actually playing Roullette, and you both lose.

The moral of the story is, a scientist can demand the universe to bend to their terms, a religious theist can demand that the universe specifically does not bend to a scientist's terms. Both have no real reason to believe what they do, and the universe is likely so remarkably complex that they're both wrong.

The concepts of being testable, verifiable, and all that good scientific stuff, are quite frankly the best we can do. That does not mean however, that they are consistent and complete (see my previous post).

Suppose everyone but two scientists dies in a nuclear holocaust. How do these scientists prove they do indeed exist? How does scientist 1 know that scientist 2 isn't some schizophrenic embodiment of his emotions (and vice versa)?

Specifically, if it was only one scientist who was schizophrenic, how would he know? To him, the external being is testable and verifiable...it responds to his speech, it reacts to him...so it's real, right?

But...he's schizophrenic...so an external view of the situation shows that he's not all right in the head. But what is an external view to science itself?

What about a blind scientist, the only one left after the holocaust? He can no longer test and verify say, colour...do we conclude colour no longer exists in the universe?

No...it just means not everything is necessarily testable. And to believe it is, is in my opinion, pretty damn worthy of being labelled blind faith. I'm not going to say it's a silly belief...but to say "It's my way or the highway" is what's silly.

Not to mention, supposing evolution and the big bang and the cosmological model are all true...do you really believe we are the pinnacle of evolution? I mean as you so far-gone to believe that we can see everything, and that which we can't see/perceive does not exist? I can't see my mother at work right now (again, silly example).

Six blind men and the elephant?

Last edited by Mowicz : 10-16-2009 at 12:19 PM.

Taunton says thanks to Mowicz for this post.

Mahratta likes this.