MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Payment Issue CAHopeful First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 10-10-2010 07:01 PM
Schedule Issue Podder First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 08-14-2010 01:47 PM
Help with course issue jordanrogers Academics 3 06-11-2010 02:03 PM
Common Issues With SOLAR (and how to solve them!) Chad MUGSI & SOLAR 78 07-02-2009 06:44 PM
SOLAR - Payment Agreement Issue 2007 Chad Financial Aid 0 08-07-2007 11:52 AM

Let's Solve the Solar Issue!

Old 08-16-2009 at 03:16 AM   #31
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
HAHAHAHAHA LOLOLOL!!

Believe me man, you will encounter a lot of engineers who have never heard of HTML before. People thought it was magic when I'd make a table on the WebCT discussion board using html tags.
i was geniunely shocked after reading this lol
Old 08-24-2009 at 10:04 PM   #32
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
in addition to all this, i want to ask one question:
What if the students make these changes, like the Computer Science/Engineering students! I am sure most of them would know asp, php, javascript and html right? If we can gather these people from the McMaster student body or even other people who are willing to work for free, then we can make a schedule to address all issues one by one and make sure that even when the term/year ends, there are other people to carry it forward.

SOLAR is screaming to be corrected, we simply cannot ignore it giving the excuse that we only use it once a year
I want to do this so bad, you don`t even know. I am in Software Eng III. I`m no expert in any of those languages, but gimme a week(and if I get paid for it, it`ll be faster).
Old 08-24-2009 at 10:07 PM   #33
adrian
Elite Member

how about this
use current equipment for storage only and little off-season use(some students change courses during the year, but this is light usage). Rent computation power for in-season. In the meantime, design a better system that will work and takes advantage of this architecture. That way, we use what we have in a cost-efficient way.
Old 08-24-2009 at 10:09 PM   #34
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Rent computation power for in-season. In the meantime, design a better system that will work and takes advantage of this architecture. That way, we use what we have in a cost-efficient way.
Do you have any examples of this "computation power"?

I'm assuming It should be a complicated system and not a random $6000 Unix server given that MUGSI has pretty jacked up security requirements!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 08-24-2009 at 10:12 PM   #35
adrian
Elite Member

I spoke generally, without research. But I`m positively sure (hehe ) that we can find a secure enough solution, there must be billions of companies that do this.
A quick google search shows something like this: http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/dedicated...s/rent-server/

Last edited by adrian : 08-24-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-24-2009 at 10:24 PM   #36
chinadian

Liked: 6 Times

I have a question... when I logged on to solar today it said Blocked - outstanding account. what does it mean?!
Old 08-24-2009 at 10:26 PM   #37
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
I spoke generally, without research. But I`m positively sure (hehe ) that we can find a secure enough solution, there must be billions of companies that do this.
A quick google search shows something like this: http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/dedicated...s/rent-server/
It could work possibly. But here is the problem, I have been dealing with the registrars office and UTS recently on another student information/technology issue and from what I gathered the Registrars office is extremely extremely cautious about student records. Hence they trust no one but the inhouse UTS to store and deal with transactions involving private student information!

Renting out increases the likelihood of hijacking information. MUGSI contains all sorts of valuable information about students!

But I obviously have that in my file from before(along with stuff like Fujitsu Interstage). Someday I will have to sit down with UTS and ask them about it

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 08-24-2009 at 10:29 PM   #38
adrian
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadian View Post
I have a question... when I logged on to solar today it said Blocked - outstanding account. what does it mean?!
It means you have to pay them some money before they let you use the registration services. Go to mugsi/log in/My Student Accounts and Cashiers on left/Account Statement on right
to see what you have to pay and why.
Old 08-24-2009 at 10:31 PM   #39
chinadian

Liked: 6 Times

on that it said i owe nothing cause i just paid 2 days ago whats going on....?
Old 08-24-2009 at 10:33 PM   #40
adrian
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadian View Post
on that it said i owe nothing cause i just paid 2 days ago whats going on....?
wow, ok that's weird. I would call them and inqure. Just make sure it says $0 tomorrow as well before you call, stuff may be getting updated...
Old 08-25-2009 at 07:57 AM   #41
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
wow, ok that's weird. I would call them and inqure. Just make sure it says $0 tomorrow as well before you call, stuff may be getting updated...
It can take up to 4-5 business days for updates to show on your account sometimes...
Old 08-25-2009 at 12:31 PM   #42
adrian
Elite Member

wow, it's down now because of too many students: August 25th. Just wow.