MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
letter of permission MacJk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 04-20-2012 12:34 AM
Letter of Enrolment hellonewyork Academics 9 04-05-2012 10:14 AM
Reference Letter Alchemist11 Academics 2 09-19-2010 01:43 PM
Letter of permission shannon.d Academics 0 05-31-2010 10:14 AM

Letter of extenuating circumstances

Old 02-19-2014 at 04:53 PM   #16
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Just need to jump in here. As someone who works as case manager for people with mental illness I know thing or two.

1. Mental illness is a disability, it can be quite debilitating and can affect our ability to do day to day things. Categorizing mental illness and disability as two separate experiences stigmatizes individuals living with mental illness. Mental illness can also lead to death.

2. Mood disorders are serious mental illnesses. If you don't think people with depression need to be hospitalized then you're quite ignorant. Spend a day on an acute psychiatry unit. St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton has four acute units (for individuals having any acute episode of mental illness) and a tertiary unit specifically reserved for people with mood disorders.

3. With regards to your situations, I know McMaster typically only looks at GPA for undergrad because they get so many applications, but it does not hurt to try! Also get involved with SAS if you come to Mac. Thirdly, from one healthcare worker to a possible future worker, take care of yourself. School and the field can be emotionally exhausting. So make sure to practice good and positive self-care if you decide to enter the world of healthcare!

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

dani3041, MoyashiSerena all say thanks to jamescw1234 for this post.

Quiver, sarahsullz like this.
Old 02-19-2014 at 09:17 PM   #17
MoyashiSerena

Liked: 3 Times

Hi everyone~

Again, thank you all for the support and ideas. It is very helpful to have other people's input. It has been brought up that my average at a 87% with depression would seem odd to them. I have forgotten to mention a crucial detail to you guys. The semester when I was the most depressed, I got a 53% in adv. fcns and a 76% in biology. I was told that if I took too many courses over it would look bad and affect my application. So, instead I decided to aim for a better mark in my worse course, the math. I took data management instead of adv. fcns as you only need one math mark. That summer, the first season that I didn't have depression/anxiety, I got a 88% in the course. With depression, my math mark in nursing would have been a 53%. Now it's a 88%. That's why my average suddenly shot up so quickly, to the 87%.

If I explain to McMaster that I went back to try to fix my percentage in one subject and that's why it seems to high for a depression student, will they likely accept that? As well, I want to write out the letter to let McMaster understand why I got a 53 and 73 percent among mostly 80-90's.

Finally, although there is no way to prove online that I am telling the truth, I do have a signed doctor's letter to mail with my letter. My guidance counselor at the school also faxed in something. So, I do have proof to the school that I am telling the truth.

Last edited by MoyashiSerena : 02-19-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-19-2014 at 09:53 PM   #18
MoyashiSerena

Hi everyone~

Again, thank you all for the support and ideas. It is very helpful to have other people's input. It has been brought up that my average at a 87% with depression would seem odd to them. I have forgotten to mention a crucial detail to you guys. The semester when I was the most depressed, I got a 53% in adv. fcns and a 76% in biology. I was told that if I took too many courses over it would look bad and affect my application. So, instead I decided to aim for a better mark in my worse course, the math. I took data management instead of adv. fcns as you only need one mark. That summer, the first season that I didn't have depression/anxiety, I got a 88% in the course.

With depression, my math mark in nursing would have been a 53%. Now it's a 88%. That's why my average suddenly shot up so quickly, to the 87%. If I explain to McMaster that I went back to try to fix my percentage in one subject and that's why it seems to high for a depression student, will they likely accept that?

Also, although I cannot confirm online that I am telling the truth, I do have a signed doctor's note that I am sending in with my letter. My guidance counselor also has faxed in a letter.

Finally, thank you so much RyanC for offering to proofread my work. But as I mentioned before, I know that each and every one of you have a lot of work on your own plates at the moment. You don't need me adding to it. Trust me, it is enough that you guys are supporting me and giving great advice.
Old 02-19-2014 at 09:57 PM   #19
MoyashiSerena

Have I posted this before??? Not showing up on my screen
Hi everyone~

Again, thank you all for the support and ideas. It is very helpful to have other people's input. It has been brought up that my average at a 87% with depression would seem odd to them. I have forgotten to mention a crucial detail to you guys. The semester when I was the most depressed, I got a 53% in adv. fcns and a 76% in biology. I was told that if I took too many courses over it would look bad and affect my application. So, instead I decided to aim for a better mark in my worse course, the math. I took data management instead of adv. fcns as you only need one mark. That summer, the first season that I didn't have depression/anxiety, I got a 88% in the course.

With depression, my math mark in nursing would have been a 53%. Now it's a 88%. That's why my average suddenly shot up so quickly, to the 87%. If I explain to McMaster that I went back to try to fix my percentage in one subject and that's why it seems to high for a depression student, will they likely accept that?

Also, although I cannot confirm online that I am telling the truth, I do have a signed doctor's note that I am sending in with my letter. My guidance counselor also has faxed in a letter.

Finally, thank you so much RyanC for offering to proofread my work. But as I mentioned before, I know that each and every one of you have a lot of work on your own plates at the moment. You don't need me adding to it. Trust me, it is enough that you guys are supporting me and giving great advice.
Old 02-19-2014 at 09:58 PM   #20
MoyashiSerena

Sorry for the triple post, I couldn't see these posts on my screen.
Old 02-20-2014 at 12:14 AM   #21
jitnikovi

Liked: 13 Times

does getting involved in SAS stay on your file when you graduate?
Old 02-20-2014 at 01:05 AM   #22
camelsrfun

Liked: 12 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitnikovi View Post
does getting involved in SAS stay on your file when you graduate?
Yeah, next to every grade on your transcript they write “modified.” To show that the curriculum was modified.

No, I'm lying.
Old 02-20-2014 at 02:15 AM   #23
Commie42
Elite Member

Liked: 132 Times

Mr. Plinkett, you have beyond disgusted me now. It's disheartening to me that you get kicks out of pissing people off and making people feel bad. Serious question: What will it take for you to be banned from MI? I truly don't understand how you haven't already. I literally avoid MI at times because I know people like you will be there to detract from the real conversation and offer your intentional negativity for personal pleasure.

Old 02-20-2014 at 08:29 AM   #24
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating-5Add positive rank
The MI community has ranked down this post by MrPlinkett.
Click here to view it anyways.
Old 02-20-2014 at 09:04 AM   #25
jitnikovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlinkett View Post
I'm so, so sorry my opinion doesn't match yours. So, so sorry. I know in today's world we all have to be unicorn loving, each other supporting hippies, but once you graduate you will see it's not true.

If you don't want to accept that and ignore my opinion, you are very welcome to do that. On job market people like that get eaten alive.
its amazing you have all this senior experience for a first year
Old 02-20-2014 at 09:06 AM   #26
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitnikovi View Post
its amazing you have all this senior experience for a first year
What makes you think I'm first year?
Old 02-20-2014 at 09:10 AM   #27
jitnikovi

Quote:
What makes you think I'm first year?
seen u post before stating you were a second or first year
not even a good troll brah
Old 02-20-2014 at 09:13 AM   #28
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
seen u post before stating you were a second or first year
not even a good troll brah
Because noone ever allowed to go back at school? University is a one time thing only?
Old 02-20-2014 at 09:15 AM   #29
jitnikovi

Quote:
Because noone ever allowed to go back at school? University is a one time thing only?
keep hustlin cuz
Old 02-20-2014 at 09:32 AM   #30
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoyashiSerena View Post
Hi everyone~

There is no such thing as a mark that is "too high for a depression student". Different people are affected differently. If anything, I would use that to show that you are working towards managing your depression and anxiety, and now that you've taken steps towards figuring that out, look at the marks that you can achieve.

Also, where did you hear that it looks bad to re-do too many courses? Coming from high school, they calculate your average and that's it for most programs. At least, that's what the admissions office claims happens. You can always ask them directly if you're unsure.

MoyashiSerena says thanks to starfish for this post.