MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Level II Banshee Academics 8 05-31-2010 11:23 PM
level 4 Chris094 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 01-22-2010 09:42 AM
summer school dilemma fasailuddin General Discussion 3 06-03-2009 12:49 PM
level 2 program? jasminexo General Discussion 1 05-12-2009 08:30 PM

Level II dilemma..... please help

Old 03-12-2009 at 02:23 PM   #1
jeff87

Liked: 0 Times

Level II dilemma..... please help
So I would like get into either:

a combined Honour's B.A. Sociology and Women's Studies OR an Honour's B.A. in Sociology as well as a minor.

I have one dilemma though...

Last semester I had a philosophy class which I ended up with a C- in and this semester I am currently failing a Computer Sciences class pretty badly (it was not what I had expected) but in all my other Social Sciences/Humanities courses (Social Work, Women's Studies, Sociology, Inquiry, World Religions) I have at least B- grades in all of them, will the C- in Philosophy and the failure in an Engineering Comp Sci course result in me not getting accepted into any Honour's programs and force me to settle for a B.A. in Sociology? I know I should have dropped Comp Sci but I am on OSAP and I would have lost out on funding and by the time I figured it was too difficult/that I don't care about it, it was too late, Philosophy is simply just not my thing and I will definitely stay away from it in the future.

Thanks!!

Last edited by jeff87 : 03-12-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-12-2009 at 02:34 PM   #2
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

You don't have to "settle" just yet.

Although now you may only get into a three year B.A. program, you can shadow the Honours program of your choice (i.e. take all the courses that you would take if you were in that program). Hopefully, you will be able to pull up your average. People often say that first year can be the hardest year because of the adjustment to university, so maybe you might do better next year.

You are allowed to reapply to another program every single year. So try again next year for the Honours if you happen to not get in this year. Good luck!
Old 03-12-2009 at 04:13 PM   #3
jeff87

Liked: 0 Times

I am considering taking a course in the summer to further increase my GPA will that help in getting into honours?
Old 03-13-2009 at 09:17 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Summer courses aren't considered in your in anything except your cumulative average, so it technically I don't think it will have relevance...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 03-23-2009 at 11:54 AM   #5
pinkshuniza

Liked: 2 Times

And, if you take a course outside of mcmaster in the summer;
I quote
"Transfer credit will be granted only for courses completed with a minimum grade equivalent to C- (60%) at McMaster University. Grades for these courses will not appear on McMaster transcripts and are not included in McMaster averages."

when it says averages, it means both SA and CA.

Atleast from what I was told.