MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Level 1 Med Rad Sci Timetable Stephanie19 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 06-26-2010 01:03 PM
Level II Banshee Academics 8 05-31-2010 11:23 PM
level 2 program? jasminexo General Discussion 1 05-12-2009 08:30 PM
Level II dilemma..... please help jeff87 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 03-23-2009 11:54 AM
Level II Kinesiology James Academics 3 03-16-2009 06:18 PM

level 4

Old 01-18-2010 at 05:22 PM   #1
Chris094

Liked: 0 Times

level 4
Does Level 4 mean you must be in your forth year of university AND satisfy the course prerequisites to take the level 4 course?

Or is level 4 simply a number that denotes
Old 01-18-2010 at 05:24 PM   #2
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris094 View Post
Does Level 4 mean you must be in your forth year of university AND satisfy the course prerequisites to take the level 4 course?

Or is level 4 simply a number that denotes
Level 4 generally means the 4th stage of a 4+ year program. Contrast this with 4th year which would indicate someone has been at university for 4 years, and is not necessarily in Level 4 of a program.
Old 01-18-2010 at 05:50 PM   #3
DavidR

Liked: 87 Times

You do not need to be in level 4 to take a level 4 course as long as you meet the pre-reqs.
Old 01-18-2010 at 05:51 PM   #4
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

As for satisfying course prerequisites for Level 4 courses, you don't necessarily have to be in Level 4 to take those courses... just need the right prereqs - which can often be only Level 2/3 courses.
Old 01-18-2010 at 10:46 PM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
You do not need to be in level 4 to take a level 4 course as long as you meet the pre-reqs.
Not always. In my degree programs (Anthro, CSCT and English) you can only take the classes once you're in fourth year. I also got very little choice in my courses because they were seminar based. For anthro there was a mandatory seminar, and then we could take whatever was left. For CSCT and English you rank your choices and are put in a lottery, and then are "stuck" in those courses.

It all depends on your your degree program and how it's organized.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-19-2010 at 08:45 AM   #6

Liked: 31 Times

Level four is just the level not the year. Consider you could take 5 or more years to complete your degree but you will not be taking 4xxx course and be called level 5.
Some programs will require that you have a certain amount of the previous level done in addition to satisfying the requirements. Check your program's udnergrad course calendar and look under academic regulations. For instance, mine has a line that reads:
"A student is required to register in the lowest level for which more than six units of work is incomplete."
So for me to be in level 4, I would need to satisfy the pre-req's for the courses I want to take and have about 24 or more units of level 3 completed. (You can also get special permission from the prof's to enter the course sometimes, for instance I know a guy at Waterloo who was allowed to take grad level courses as his electives due to high marks and special permission, although he did not satisfy the pre req's).
Old 01-22-2010 at 07:33 AM   #7
Chris094

Liked: 0 Times

So how would one interpret this...

SOCIOL 4E03 SELF AND IDENTITY A consideration of theoretical and empirical questions relating to self and identity viewed from historical, cross-cultural and cross-disciplinary perspectives.

Three hours (seminar); one term
Prerequisite(s): Registration in Level IV Honours Sociology <----- look here

There are no course prerequisites, only "level 4" (and the prerequisite that I be in Honours Sociology, but that's irrelevant to the essential question). What does level 4 mean in this context? Must I be in my 4th year of education (time) to take this course?

Last edited by Chris094 : 01-22-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-22-2010 at 09:42 AM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris094 View Post
So how would one interpret this...

SOCIOL 4E03 SELF AND IDENTITY A consideration of theoretical and empirical questions relating to self and identity viewed from historical, cross-cultural and cross-disciplinary perspectives.

Three hours (seminar); one term
Prerequisite(s): Registration in Level IV Honours Sociology <----- look here

There are no course prerequisites, only "level 4" (and the prerequisite that I be in Honours Sociology, but that's irrelevant to the essential question). What does level 4 mean in this context? Must I be in my 4th year of education (time) to take this course?
You must be in Level IV of your program; so you will need to have completed approximately 90 units previously. If you are aiming to complete your degree in four years it would be in your fourth year, yes.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement