MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thanksgiving Yakattack General Discussion 41 10-08-2010 11:47 AM
Textbooks in libraries? Harlequin First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-10-2008 10:00 PM
Exciting New Changes Coming To The McMaster Libraries Chad MacInsiders Announcements 2 08-27-2008 01:21 PM
Libraries are Going Apple temara.brown MacInsiders Announcements 7 08-20-2008 11:32 PM
You can now 'rent' laptops from the libraries at Mac Chad Computers & Tech 10 10-12-2006 02:10 AM

Libraries on Thanksgiving

Old 10-11-2009 at 09:05 AM   #1
InaBallerina

Liked: 0 Times

Libraries on Thanksgiving
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to know if libraries were open to go and study in tomorrow (Thanksgiving Monday). If they aren't, do you know of any other buildings on campus that are open and accessible to study in?

Thank-you so much!!
Old 10-11-2009 at 09:19 AM   #2
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

All of the libraries are closed tomorrow. I'm not sure where is a good studying place though =/
http://library.mcmaster.ca/hours-info
Old 10-11-2009 at 10:57 AM   #3
InaBallerina

Thanks for that link, Ivan!!
If anyone knows of buildings that will be open tomorrow, please let me know!

Old 10-11-2009 at 11:04 AM   #4
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by InaBallerina View Post
Thanks for that link, Ivan!!
If anyone knows of buildings that will be open tomorrow, please let me know!

You would think that institutions would use the diversity of the workforce to allow for their facilities to be open for use year round. Why are we stuck in the past? Not everyone celebrates Thanksgiving, and some would be thankful for the chance to learn on that day.
Old 10-11-2009 at 11:16 AM   #5
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goce View Post
You would think that institutions would use the diversity of the workforce to allow for their facilities to be open for use year round. Why are we stuck in the past? Not everyone celebrates Thanksgiving, and some would be thankful for the chance to learn on that day.
I like long weekends. Other people do too. Forcing someone to work that may not necessarily not want to because they don't celebrate thanksgiving, even if they want a long weekend, makes no sense to me. I'm not productive at home, but I still would not want to force people to work for a select few to study.
Old 10-11-2009 at 11:31 AM   #6
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeM View Post
I like long weekends. Other people do too. Forcing someone to work that may not necessarily not want to because they don't celebrate thanksgiving, even if they want a long weekend, makes no sense to me. I'm not productive at home, but I still would not want to force people to work for a select few to study.
Who said anything about forcing people? Asking some of the employees how they feel about something like that is needed - if they don't like it they don't have to do it. I wouldn't mind coming in to open the doors to students on a long weekend and I know I am not the only one.
Old 10-11-2009 at 11:46 AM   #7
BlakeM
Elite Member

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goce View Post
Who said anything about forcing people? Asking some of the employees how they feel about something like that is needed - if they don't like it they don't have to do it. I wouldn't mind coming in to open the doors to students on a long weekend and I know I am not the only one.
Didn't quite think of volunteers. Was thinking more of library staff forced to find books for people, keeping it open, closing up, that would have to show up since I'm not quite sure those facilities would ever open up for just volunteers running the place. Plus, if they would keep it open, they would need a minimum # of staff to keep things running I'm assuming, plus other custodial staff and what not. Anyhoo, I'm off to eat/study, sorry if this post made no sense, just woke up a little while ago >_<
Old 10-11-2009 at 12:39 PM   #8
InaBallerina

In case anybody else was wondering, I contacted McMaster, and all libraries, etc. are locked tomorrow.
Old 10-11-2009 at 01:21 PM   #9
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

I'm not sure of anything, but I'd be surprised if the Student Centre was closed, or the front doors of JHE.
Old 10-11-2009 at 08:42 PM   #10
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
I'm not sure of anything, but I'd be surprised if the Student Centre was closed, or the front doors of JHE.
Yeah as far as I know MUSC (the Student Centre) is always open 24/7. Rooms within it will be locked but like you could just study anywhere in there and it would be quiet b/c no one will be around.

TSH and possibly the other Arts Quad buildings will probably be unlocked too. I know TSH is likely to be open b/c the Multimedia lab is on the 2nd floor and students in the program have 24/7 access to that lab with their electronic keys but the door to TSH obviously has to be opened for them to get in. So I imagine TSH will be unlocked.