Life Science 2H03 Alchemist11 2nd Year Course Reviews 21 12-20-2016 01:52 PM
Life Science 2H03 Alchemist11 2nd Year Course Reviews 7 02-01-2012 08:16 PM
Life Sciences vs Environmental Science Vee93 Academics 10 12-02-2010 10:05 PM

Life Sci 2H03: Environmental Life Science

Old 06-06-2012 at 05:08 PM   #1
The Effekt

Liked: 3 Times

Life Sci 2H03: Environmental Life Science
Can anyone comment on the evaluation scheme for this course and in particular the two assignments each worth 15% according to the winter 2011 course outline. what is the nature of those assignments? are they very difficult/time consuming.
And in general, how would the difficulty of this course compare with Psych 2TT3, animal behaviour for anyone who has taken these courses?
Old 06-06-2012 at 05:53 PM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Have you checked out the course review here: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...tr=L&t=42 064 ?
Old 06-06-2012 at 06:15 PM   #3
hons2

Liked: 1 Time

I'm not going to write a review, but I took this course last semester and I'd recommend taking this course. It's an easy course and you'll do well.

The breakdown is :
Assignment 1 - 15%
Assignment 2 - 15%
Online quizzes - best 4 out of [email protected]% each = 30%
Final Exam - 40%

the assignments are not hard, but you have to do quite a bit of research for the articles

quizzes are every 2 weeks

it is best to attend lecture because there are a lot of pictures/graphs that don't have text to describe it. I had bernier so everything was quite clear.
I'd say its a bird course.

hope this helps
Old 06-06-2012 at 09:19 PM   #4
traveler10

Liked: 51 Times

the assignments are not that hard. the only difficulty u'll find will be to find the articles for your topic. so i'd say start at least 2 weeks before the due date.

You sorta can do them at the last moment but there's this HUGE risk of misunderstanding what is expected from u and then writing a paper on something completely different. The 2nd paper was really open-ended and vague and many ppl complained about that.

Just start early and go to see Dr.Bernier a lot for the assignments. The TAs are usually not around and dont help much. Plus Dr.Bernier is a very helpful, friendly teacher. Be nice to him and he will give u a lot of hints. He generally guides people very well. I went to him like 3-4 times last year and he always welcomed his students.
Old 06-06-2012 at 09:21 PM   #5
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

I definitely recommend taking this course, one of the easiest course I have ever taken
The assignment does take some effort to write but it is not difficult if you start early. I started it the day before it was due and stayed up all night writing it for both and still managed to get over 90 in both, the TA's mark very easily
The quizzes are also very easy and you should get perfect on each if you have good notes, the questions are straight out of lecture so attending lecture is a must.
You don't need a textbook, and the exam is very easy too
One down side is that at first it's hard to understand Dr. Bernier due to his accent but you get used to it
Old 06-06-2012 at 09:25 PM   #6
traveler10

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hons2 View Post
...It's an easy course and you'll do well.....
I'd say its a bird course.
Not really. You have to review concepts regularly. You can't just expect to learn stuff in the last 3 days. This course requires understanding and you have to give a lot of attention in class.

I would not classify this as a bird course. A bird course is something like Econ 1B03. I expect Hons2 took a bunch of other Enviro Sci courses and thus found it easy. If you do that (i.e take other enviro courses THEN take this) this course becomes a little easier.
Old 06-06-2012 at 09:57 PM   #7
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler10 View Post
Not really. You have to review concepts regularly. You can't just expect to learn stuff in the last 3 days. This course requires understanding and you have to give a lot of attention in class.

I would not classify this as a bird course. A bird course is something like Econ 1B03. I expect Hons2 took a bunch of other Enviro Sci courses and thus found it easy. If you do that (i.e take other enviro courses THEN take this) this course becomes a little easier.
For me this was the best BIRD course i have taken more then econ to be honest and I never taken a envrio sci course before.
The concept is very easy I don't know what was so hard. If you go to class and take good notes then you should have no problem. For me I did not review the concepts at all until I had to do the quiz where I would just look over my notes before starting it.
Yea the assignment is little tedious but it is manageable
Old 06-06-2012 at 10:39 PM   #8
lankan_4lif

Liked: 9 Times

What was the format for the exam? I assume the quizzes were MC.

Thanks