MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Environmental Science kuruczpa Academics 1 09-10-2010 08:35 PM
Life Sciences or Health Science? Shagana First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 06-17-2009 07:10 PM
environmental science 1a03?? demelo_b Academics 7 11-30-2008 01:56 PM

Life Sciences vs Environmental Science

Old 12-02-2010 at 09:08 PM   #1
Vee93

Liked: 0 Times

Life Sciences vs Environmental Science
Hi,
I'm currently in grade 12 and I want to apply to Life Sciences.

Someone on here suggested that students who want to go into life science should also apply to environmental science because the cutoff is lower.
How does taking environmental science relate to life science?
Suppose I don't get into life sci, but I get into env. science. Can I still take courses that life science students take?
I'm confused about this transfer concept..
Old 12-02-2010 at 09:19 PM   #2
Commander
P.I.M.P

Liked: 63 Times

What do you like ? What profession do you want to practice?
Old 12-02-2010 at 09:20 PM   #3
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

the main difference is the mandatory courses you'll have to take. Enviro sci will force you to take enviro sci courses (and a few others), and life sci will force you to take bio(and a few others). You still get a lot of electives so if you choose them wisely you can have essentially the same first year whether you are in life sci or enviro sci.

The transfer concept works as follows, after year one you can apply to transfer over to another program within the university if your marks are high enough. In this way you could take your first year as an enviro sci student and your second year onward as a life sci student.

Frankly I'd just apply to both courses and take life sci if you get it, and enviro sci if you don't. That's what I did.
Old 12-02-2010 at 09:20 PM   #4
doug

Liked: 82 Times

This post makes me :(

In first year there are 3 environmental science courses to take, and you will be able to take all of the life science courses as well if you have taken the required grade 12 courses. You only need to take 2 or the 3 environmental science courses.

I had two friends in first year life science take two environmental science courses as their electives, so you could just do the opposite.

Last edited by doug : 12-02-2010 at 09:22 PM. Reason: moar info
Old 12-02-2010 at 09:23 PM   #5
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by REPLEKIA/. View Post
. Enviro sci will force you to take enviro sci courses (and a few others), and life sci will force you to take bio(and a few others).
No one will force you to take anything, my friend didn't get into life sciences so he accepted his environmental science offer and took every class a life science student took plus the two economics courses no environmental science courses were required.. He got into honors bio with a 10.6.
Old 12-02-2010 at 09:35 PM   #6
REPLEKIA/.

Like doug said, you need to take 2 of the 3 enviro sci courses in enviro sci I, it's mandatory. However this isn't important unless you hate enviro sci.

Both life sci I and enviro sci I have the capacity for you to go into any second year science program if you pick your elective courses right.

I still suggest to apply to both and just go with what accepts you.
Old 12-02-2010 at 09:41 PM   #7
Vee93

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
No one will force you to take anything, my friend didn't get into life sciences so he accepted his environmental science offer and took every class a life science student took plus the two economics courses no environmental science courses were required.. He got into honors bio with a 10.6.
So if I do the same thing as your friend, I can transfer to life science and continue life science after first year?
I'm planning on going into optometry after the first 4 years.
The optometry program requires 3-4 years Bachelor of Science Studies
(and prerequisites are
  • Arts - english, ethics, psychology
  • Biology - general biology, microbiology, physiology
  • Chemistry - general chemistry, biochemistry, organic chemistry
  • Mathematics - calculus, statistics
  • Physics - general physics
So as long as I stay within the faculty of science, I'm good?
I'm applying this weekend so I'm looking for advice.
Old 12-02-2010 at 09:42 PM   #8
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee93 View Post
So if I do the same thing as your friend, I can transfer to life science and continue life science after first year?
I'm planning on going into optometry after the first 4 years.
The optometry program requires 3-4 years Bachelor of Science Studies
(and prerequisites are
  • Arts - english, ethics, psychology
  • Biology - general biology, microbiology, physiology
  • Chemistry - general chemistry, biochemistry, organic chemistry
  • Mathematics - calculus, statistics
  • Physics - general physics
So as long as I stay within the faculty of science, I'm good?
I'm applying this weekend so I'm looking for advice.
You can transfer from any faculty, but it's much easier to do from within science.
Old 12-02-2010
Vee93
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 12-02-2010 at 09:55 PM   #9
Vee93

Quote:
You can transfer from any faculty, but it's much easier to do from within science.
Alright, thanks for the clarification.
If you don't mind me asking, what range did you get into Enviro Sci. with?

One more question, lol.
Can someone tell me more about the biomedical science program?

Last edited by Vee93 : 12-02-2010 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-02-2010 at 09:59 PM   #10
REPLEKIA/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee93 View Post
Alright, thanks for the clarification.
If you don't mind me asking, what range did you get into Enviro Sci. with?
I believe enviro sci is usually 77-80 depending on the number of applicants, while life sci is closer to 86%. I do however know a life science student who had a grade 12 average of 83% and still got in, so don't give up hope on life sci even it it looks like you won't make 86%.
Old 12-02-2010 at 10:05 PM   #11
Vee93

Quote:
I believe enviro sci is usually 77-80 depending on the number of applicants, while life sci is closer to 86%. I do however know a life science student who had a grade 12 average of 83% and still got in, so don't give up hope on life sci even it it looks like you won't make 86%.
Thanks for that
My average isn't as high as I want it to be because of physics. It's not bad, but not high enough.
I hope I make it to Mac, though.