Professor Rating
80%80%80%
Interest
90%90%90%
Easiness
90%90%90%
Average 85%
Life Sci 2N03

I took this course during the winter of 2012. I really enjoyed it.

The professor for the course was Dr. Pincivero. I think that the class had mixed feelings about him. One one hand, he was a very engaging and interesting lecturer. On the other hand, he tends to go off topic often and he also repeats certain things way too much (ie. there are 3 branched-chain amino acids)! He does a lot of blackboard writing and he elaborates on the notes so going to class is essential. His notes were helpful but sometimes there was no rhyme or reason to the order of topics. Overall, he was a good prof, he just needs some fine-tuning.

The course material was fairly straightforward. We covered topics including introduction to nutrition, anatomy of the digestive system, bioenergetics, carbohydrates, protein, lipids and vitamins. The material was fairly simple and combined many topics like biochemistry, anatomy and social sciences.

The course breakdown was:
Test 1 30%
Test 2 30%
Exam 40%
Optional assignment (15%, all other assessments would be weighted 5% lower).

The tests and exam were so easy! They were composed entirely of multiple choice questions except the first test, which had a labeling diagrams section. Questions followed the notes exactly (the textbook is completely unnecessary). Like any science course, there is a high degree of memorization required but Dr. Pincivero rarely focused on random facts and details.

I don't think many people chose to do the optional assignment because the averages for the midterms were so high, but it was a 5 day dietary analysis where you would record what you ate and then had to comment on what you ate. It looked tedious.

Overall, I would recommend this course. The material is simple yet interesting, the professor is very entertaining and there is very little work.

coolcass88, DMe3, meddling, _Mike all say thanks to YungJoc for this post.

_Mike likes this.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Life Sci 2N03!

Old 05-08-2012 at 06:08 PM   #2
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times
I took the course second term in 2011-2012. Essentially I echo everything said by YungJoc.

The course was easy, the material was helpful for real life, unlike say, a molecular biology course.

My favourite part was that almost every question was fair. I would say out of the 175 or so questions in the course, 165 were fair and only 10 were kind of random or dumb. Which means if you actually study you can probably get a good mark.

Textbook can help for some topics that seem confusing but overall it is unnecessary - I would say if you have 3-4 friends maybe buy 1 and split it. No need to spend all the money yourself since you won't really need it.

meddling, _Mike all say thanks to Alchemist11 for this post.

_Mike likes this.
Old 05-28-2012 at 01:13 AM   #3
juski

Liked: 1 Time
I agree with both reviews from above. Easy 12 as long as you make a decent effort to study and you definitely do not have to do the optional assignment, I did not. Some questions were a bit tricky here and there but you could use process of elimination to help you get close to the right answer. The average on the second midterm was about a 10% drop from the first one so I would say a bit more effort on your part for the second which was all MC btw. So was the final but like YungJoc said, DR.P rarely focuses on the details but more the overall concepts so his questions are fair 95% of the time as long as you study.

_Mike says thanks to juski for this post.

_Mike likes this.
Old 06-04-2012 at 03:47 PM   #4
kwyhan
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times
is the memorization like biochem 2ee3? omg that was such a torture.. memorizing everything that is on the slide haha

Old 08-13-2012 at 08:41 PM   #5
chloekavcic

Liked: 1 Time
switching semesters
Hey anyone want to switch semesters with me? I am currently in term 1 and would like to be in term 2. Anyone in?

saud123 likes this.
Old 09-02-2012 at 12:41 PM   #6
lifesci09

Liked: 2 Times
Hey, so Prof. Westman is teaching life sci 2n03 this year first term. Just wondering if anybody knows if he is a fair and good prof. Thanks!

kwyhan likes this.
Old 09-07-2012 at 03:03 PM   #7
kwyhan
Elite Member

i also would liek to know about Westman.!Thanks!
Old 09-09-2012 at 03:51 PM   #8
lifesci09

Liked: 2 Times
me too! anyone in term 2 want term 1?
Old 09-11-2012 at 11:54 PM   #9
kwyhan
Elite Member

did you not like dr. westman?
Old 12-20-2012 at 10:08 AM   #10
Swampis

Liked: 39 Times
I had this course in Fall of 2012 w/ Dr. Westman. The course was very easy and Dr. Westman was a great prof. The first midterm is worth 25% and consists of short answer, fill in the blank, and multiple choice, it was easy to score 90% + on this midterm. The second midterm was worth 30% and had the same format as the first midterm and again it was easy to score 90% +. The exam was even easier than the midterms since it was just 100 multiple choice, I finished the exam in 20 mins and found it to be very straightforward. Don't bother doing the assignment unless you did poorly on the midterms. This course is really easy and I recommend taking it, you will learn valuable info regarding nutrition and apply to your life and get a 12 in the course.
Old 01-04-2013 at 05:52 PM   #11
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times
is this course for people in life sci only?
Old 01-07-2013 at 04:45 PM   #12
wellsjr

Liked: 0 Times
Dr. Westman is a very fair lady. She is very clear what you are expected to know for the midterms and final. There is a lot of memorization (vitamins and minerals) for the final exam.
Old 01-14-2013
seema_albzri
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 05-08-2013 at 01:18 PM   #13
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times
Took this course in winter of 2013.

I had Dr. Pincivero. He taught quite well and responds to his e-mails pretty fast. So ask questions!

We had 1 test, 1 exam, about 5-6 quizzes, and one optional assignment. Textbook was not necessary so save yourself the 100 dollars. You can download it online for free as a PDF on 4shared. His test was MC and some short answers and labelling. His exam was all MC and not cumulative. A lot of memorization and specific sometimes. Did not like how he made his questions. His exam and test had the same difficulty level.

Light workload but quite a lot to remember. He does tend to repeat some concepts many times so that does help with memorizing.

He recorded his lectures so you can play it. I do not recommend you to skip his lectures. Sometimes, the recorded lectures do not work and a few times, his laptop did not work so he could not record his lectures. He had to use the black board to teach for about 2 classes. So go to class! When I see him teach, it helps me to remember than just to listen to him teach on the recorded lectures.

Overall an interesting course. Dry at times but he does try to make it fun.
Old 05-09-2013 at 08:50 PM   #14
celtics_fan

Liked: 12 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
is this course for people in life sci only?
No, I'm pretty sure if you email them, they will allow you to take the course even if you're not in life sci.. quite a few people in honours bio were in the class this year

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search