Science 3EP3 ~*Sara*~ Academics 3 11-22-2010 12:51 AM
Enviro Sci 3ep3 manu Academics 3 01-07-2010 07:57 PM

Life Sci 4EP6/3EP3

Old 06-12-2013 at 09:11 PM   #1
kitty1
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 26 Times

Life Sci 4EP6/3EP3
hey guys! so I am going to be taking 4ep6 in the upcoming year. i was wondering if anyone who has taken the course can tell me how they divided it, did you do weekly logs? essays? assignments? did you decided with the prof what how you wanted to divide the course or did you do it on your own? any help will be much appreciated please
Old 06-13-2013 at 08:58 AM   #2
kitty1
Account Disabled by User

anyone? ........
Old 06-13-2013 at 06:04 PM   #3
Preema

Liked: 0 Times

Hey, I haven't taken this course yet. But, I have got lot of information from people and staff on this. Generally as the form says, you decide with the prof how they want you evaluated on whatever you are doing. I think evaluation would be based on what exactly you are doing. Like an example was learning nutrition of kids, would be like noting down what they eat at a child care or school. What proportions and such, so you need a daily report or weekly. And, during the placement half way review/essay. And, a presentation at the end? And, you will also need to talk to your placement supervisor since they will be the one allowing you what you can observe or what you can do. First finding out what you do at the placement and then talking to the prof about evaluation would be helpful.

By the way, what placement and what prof are you approaching if you don't mind me asking?

kitty1 says thanks to Preema for this post.
Old 06-13-2013 at 06:09 PM   #4
kitty1
Account Disabled by User

Hey, thanks for the response . I started volunteering at Juravinski Hospital not too long ago, I already talked to the supervisor there and she's okay with supervising me. As for the prof, I emailed Dr Dej so far, if she rejects then I will go to Dr Pincivero and if that doesn't work out either then I will ask Dr. Beston and Dr. Day! Since I already started volunteering I kind of have an idea of how to divide the course, just waiting for Dr Dej to respond!

Preema likes this.
Old 06-13-2013 at 06:18 PM   #5
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

As Preema mentioned, setting up a grading format with your supervisor would be best, while making sure that the evaluation scheme is something that works for you and your evaluator.

For instance, if you spend a lot of time working in a lab, you might want to discuss being marked on your lab notebook or lab performance (e.g. following health and safety protocol, etc). I've included some possible marking formats that you may wish to consider:
  • Lab performance
  • Lab notebook
  • Lab results
  • A "halfway" report
  • Final report
  • Reflections
  • Essays
  • Assignments
  • Designing your own "PBL" assignments and papers
  • Making models or illustrations with a scientific report attached
  • Tests (if your supervisor has the time to set them up)
  • Presentations
  • Making a 'teaching module' about the material you've learned that other students/individuals can learn from
  • Preparing a poster or talk for a conference

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

5.98e24, kitty1, Preema like this.
Old 06-13-2013 at 08:47 PM   #6
psps

Liked: 1 Time

Is the academic supervisor the one who grades the papers/journals/assignments/presentations etc? Or does the placement supervisor do the grading and the academic supervisor just verifies that it is ok and administers the course marks? I am trying to explain to a prof what they would have to do as an academic supervisor. Thank you so much for any help
Old 06-13-2013 at 11:31 PM   #7
kitty1
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by psps View Post
Is the academic supervisor the one who grades the papers/journals/assignments/presentations etc? Or does the placement supervisor do the grading and the academic supervisor just verifies that it is ok and administers the course marks? I am trying to explain to a prof what they would have to do as an academic supervisor. Thank you so much for any help
The academic supervisor does the marking.

psps says thanks to kitty1 for this post.
Old 06-13-2013 at 11:31 PM   #8
kitty1
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
As Preema mentioned, setting up a grading format with your supervisor would be best, while making sure that the evaluation scheme is something that works for you and your evaluator.

For instance, if you spend a lot of time working in a lab, you might want to discuss being marked on your lab notebook or lab performance (e.g. following health and safety protocol, etc). I've included some possible marking formats that you may wish to consider:
  • Lab performance
  • Lab notebook
  • Lab results
  • A "halfway" report
  • Final report
  • Reflections
  • Essays
  • Assignments
  • Designing your own "PBL" assignments and papers
  • Making models or illustrations with a scientific report attached
  • Tests (if your supervisor has the time to set them up)
  • Presentations
  • Making a 'teaching module' about the material you've learned that other students/individuals can learn from
  • Preparing a poster or talk for a conference
Thank you! That was great help
Old 06-14-2013 at 12:55 AM   #9
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times

I would recommend speaking to Sarah Robinson if you have not already about your decision to take this course and also what your plans are. Sarah is the person who will receive your application for the course and she is the one who will give you permission to take the course on SOLAR.

I am trying to find a prof right now but I have no luck. Sarah said Dr. Beston cannot be an academic supervisor. As for Dr. Dej, she is seriously busy. Sarah mentioned this as well and I had her for 2 courses so far and it's incredibly hard to reach her. I actually do not recommend her.

So far, I got rejected by Kajiura and Day saying they cannot be my supervisor.
I emailed Pincivero as well and I am waiting for a response.

However, due to certain circumstances, I do not plan on taking the course anymore.

Best of luck!