MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Biochem vs. Honours Life Sci?! britt321 Academics 3 05-30-2014 06:31 PM
Which 2nd year program: chem bio, biochem, or life sciences? smallthings Academics 1 05-30-2013 12:41 PM
Life Sci 2H03 vs Biochem 2EE3 naval23 Academics 6 05-11-2013 11:48 AM
can you switch from life sci to biochem? jake0405 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-02-2012 11:11 PM

Life Sci Co-op vs Biochem?

Old 06-07-2014 at 12:04 PM   #1
willowtree

Liked: 0 Times

Life Sci Co-op vs Biochem?
Hi,
I'm stuck trying to pick which program to go into. I don't know whether co-op is really worth it or if I should go into a program like biochem that I would be interested in trying. I'm going into third year so I don't think I would do biochem coop (I know that that's an option). I know both programs would be good, I just don't know which one is better. Thanks
Old 06-07-2014 at 01:16 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

It depends on your goals. The life science co-op program is relatively new, and I'm kind of surprised they added it. For one, it's not like science jobs were plentiful - it was hard to find a position - and for another, a student in life sciences can make their degree so general that it's not necessarily going to prepare them well for things like research. Employers would prefer someone in a more focused program. Unless the jobs are totally different, and you're not competing against the other co-op students so much, I'd think it would be even harder for a student in life sciences to find a job compared to a student in biochem or chemistry or something like that.
The flip side of that is that a bachelor's degree in life science isn't really useful (of course, a BSc in biochem is not much more useful), so relevant work experience will help a lot with finding a job after graduation.

tl;dr: I'm sure there are possible jobs a life science student can get that don't overlap with biochem, mol bio, chem, etc, so if you're interested in those, then go for it. But if what you're really interested in is biochem, then you should go for that, because you probably won't have much luck finding a co-op job in biochemistry if you're in life sciences.
Old 06-07-2014 at 06:07 PM   #3
bradyr

Liked: 10 Times

Did you get accepted into co-op for both programs or just one? If co-op is important to you, I would pick that one, it can give great opportunities.

Agreed, I'm pretty shocked a Life Science co-op program got added, I usually see co-op for more specific degrees like Biochemistry or Molecular Genetics, even Waterloo doesn't have co-op for Biomedical Sciences.

If you think you're going to do something that specifically needs a Bsc in biochemistry, then you should go for that, but if a Bsc in biochemistry isn't going to help you much in finding a career afterwards (i.e you still need to do schooling afterwards), in that case, Life Science might be the better option because it is more flexible (and it does have co-op)
Old 06-08-2014 at 02:41 AM   #4
Science Rocks

Liked: 6 Times

When did mac add co-op for life sci and what are the requirements to get in?
Old 06-11-2014 at 10:47 PM   #5
willowtree

Liked: 0 Times

I've attached the requirements needed for the program. Thank you everyone for all your insight. I'll have to give it a little more thought before I make my decision!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Life Sci Coop.pdf (101.4 KB, 31 views)
Old 06-12-2014 at 02:36 AM   #6
Science Rocks

Liked: 6 Times

Whens the deadline to apply for the coop and where do I have to go
Old 06-12-2014 at 07:05 AM   #7
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Science Rocks View Post
Whens the deadline to apply for the coop and where do I have to go
The deadline to apply is typically the end of February in your second year.

I'm not sure where exactly they're hosting the application now, but it used to be on OSCAR. The SCCE website should say, though, and they usually send out an email.

Science Rocks says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 06-14-2014 at 03:55 PM   #8
kaitotst

Liked: 33 Times

Hi Monique,

I'm currently doing Co-Op right now and what I can tell you about each program's Co-Op specialization is... there isn't too much of a difference in terms of the jobs that will be available to you. I'm currently in the Biochem Co-Op and the jobs that have been available to our program are shared with Molecular Bio/Chem Bio and Bio Pharm for 3rd and 4th years, so I'm guessing it might be the same for Life Sci. Most of the jobs you'll find for Co-Op in Science is related to labwork, therefore taking courses that allow you to develop lab experience/techniques can be very beneficial during job search. Biochem offers a lot of lab courses that'll allow you to develop your lab knowledge/techniques, but if you can find similar opportunities in life sci, you could make it work too.