MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transferring to Level 2 Commerce From Life Science macnoob Academics 3 06-09-2013 03:39 PM
Commerce 2FA3 & Commerce 2AB3 - Textbook Question CAHopeful Academics 4 06-21-2011 11:36 PM
UTM commerce Transfer to Mcmaster commerce II Tyuop Academics 4 06-08-2011 09:18 PM
Anyone dropping commerce 2fa3 and commerce 4pa3 kunwaro Academics 3 01-04-2011 11:59 AM

Life Sci or Commerce!?!?!

Old 11-06-2013 at 10:06 PM   #1
sbarbs

Liked: 1 Time

Life Sci or Commerce!?!?!
Hey

So I'm currently a first year in life sci and I feel as though I am recently coming around to discover that life sci is not for me, however Im still yet on the fence because I'm not too sure if its because i haven't adjusted yet with the new environment or because i genuinely don't enjoy life sci.

However, if I could get some opinions that would be great

I was thinking of going into commerce, however I don't feel i know too much about it !
What would anyones opinion be on switching from life sci to commerce?? Please share your experiences as well!!!!!

thanks a bunch
Old 11-06-2013 at 10:23 PM   #2
airvcarmelo

Liked: 42 Times

I was in the same boat as you, I decided to stick it out in life science and fortunately got to major in something I really enjoy. If you decide to stay in general life science a good benefit is that you get a lot of electives so you could do a minor in business or something else your interested in (can obtain 2 minors total). Since your first year it would be best to switch for next semester or start completing commerce courses so you don't lose out as much time. It's really on you if you want to stay in life science or not though!

sbarbs says thanks to airvcarmelo for this post.
Old 11-06-2013 at 10:46 PM   #3
kitty1
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 26 Times

i agree with airvcarmelo. i suggest that you stick with life sciences for second year (because believe me it gets better, you can take much more interesting courses than bio 1M03!!) and during your second year take a few commerce courses to get the feel of it and see whether you like it or not (and don't just take first year econ, take the harder courses because that'll give you the real image) and if you like then switch after 2nd year, if not then just continue on with life sciences. but bear in mind though, if you do this then you might have to end up doing an extra year to finish all your credits but at least you will know what you like and what you don't like! good luck

airvcarmelo likes this.
Old 11-07-2013 at 09:27 AM   #4
sbarbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by airvcarmelo View Post
I was in the same boat as you, I decided to stick it out in life science and fortunately got to major in something I really enjoy. If you decide to stay in general life science a good benefit is that you get a lot of electives so you could do a minor in business or something else your interested in (can obtain 2 minors total). Since your first year it would be best to switch for next semester or start completing commerce courses so you don't lose out as much time. It's really on you if you want to stay in life science or not though!
what I don't want to do is miss a second year. So far chem isn't my strong suit and bio 1m03 is alright.
What did you major in?

Which do you think has better job opportunities?? a commerce degree or life sic?
which degree would be more practical and applicable in life?
Old 11-07-2013 at 10:27 AM   #5
airvcarmelo

Liked: 42 Times

I entered into Biology and Pharmacology co-op (you enter into this program 3rd year). In terms of job opportunity without going to graduate/professional school I would have to say commerce does have better options. Understand that gaining a life science degree doesn't mean your limited in just science related jobs. I worked as an IT technician last year and loved it and wouldn't mind pursuing a career in that field afterwards. Applicable to life well it depends on what you do in life. I could say my kinesiology and physiology electives helped me understand what is going on in my body when I work out. It's very useful to know for me but for someone else it may not be. So that really depends on you.

sbarbs says thanks to airvcarmelo for this post.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 11-07-2013 at 11:15 AM   #6
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

You don't have to stay in life science, life science is a gateway program that's meant to expose you to different areas of science that you may be interested in. Of course, if you don't want to specialize and want to continue covering a broad range of science subjects, you can stay in life sci if you want.

For me, I found that life science was too general. I really liked psych and I wanted to pursue the opportunities to research w/profs and work closely with my peers in a smaller program with much smaller class sizes. Most of the specialized science programs have much smaller sizes than life science, and the atmosphere is very different (as you said, maybe you just don't like the environment of first year).

I suggest you go to the second level science fair in term 2, all the second year programs will be there to answer your questions, and you can talk to students in upper years to find out more about their experiences.

Another good way to find out first hand from students is to go to the second fall preview that's coming up soon this month. I know that it's aimed at prospective high school students, but a lot of the programs and faculties have upper year students present and you can ask them questions about their programs specifically PNB will have reps in the psych building lobby.

sbarbs says thanks to anon491 for this post.
Old 11-08-2013 at 09:48 PM   #7
allanandthera

Liked: 33 Times

Commerce, at any school, is not a program you should drop into simply because you think it is easier or get the bang for the buck. If you want to get into business, you have to like business. Do you think you are a people person? Do you think you will like it if you are dealing with business transactions? I suggest you look into what business really is, because it is a program where you get what you make out of it. Seriously, I spend more time on competitions and extra curricular activities than my classes themselves (tells you something about business) Some people find jobs at top firms while others get a degree and become a teller when they get out.

I'm in first year too so I can give you some ideas on what business is like for us atm

sbarbs says thanks to allanandthera for this post.
Old 11-13-2013 at 09:54 AM   #8
sbarbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanandthera View Post
Commerce, at any school, is not a program you should drop into simply because you think it is easier or get the bang for the buck. If you want to get into business, you have to like business. Do you think you are a people person? Do you think you will like it if you are dealing with business transactions? I suggest you look into what business really is, because it is a program where you get what you make out of it. Seriously, I spend more time on competitions and extra curricular activities than my classes themselves (tells you something about business) Some people find jobs at top firms while others get a degree and become a teller when they get out.

I'm in first year too so I can give you some ideas on what business is like for us atm
I wouldn't say Id like to go into commerce simply for the bang in the buck rather i do indeed consider myself a people person! That probably is the strongest reason that allows me to believe i should take it. I can certainly see myself enjoying doing business transactions and what not. My strong suit is personal relations rather than applying stuff as in science. I can talk better than I can test so to say. When it comes down to it, I personally think I can get further with a commerce degree rather than science, because like I said I can't test and my future, if i stayed in science, would be preferred to take the mcat and pursue a career in psychiatry.
I personally see commerce being a more practical field. My biggest fear comes from the fact that life science and commerce are quite different so the decision I make can lead to consequences. If i switch next year i loose a full year and lose my money invested. And yes, to me, money is a big deal and I really don't want to loose 6000 over something I could've prevented. So Id like to make a choice this semester...its just a big jump..

so in short haha, could u please tell me what it's like?!
Old 11-13-2013 at 03:19 PM   #9
shreebee

Liked: 30 Times

about what allanandthera posted: dont judge your whole commerce degree experience based on first year. trust me you will get hit with all core commerce courses second year.

for the OP, i suggest you look at the different fields in commerce and see if anything appeals to you, keep in mind that not everyone fits into one or the other. in second year you get exposed to all the different fields and in third year you can start taking course specific to your interest.
also commerce doesn't have a "major" at mac

sbarbs says thanks to shreebee for this post.
Old 11-14-2013 at 03:19 PM   #10
sbarbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreebee View Post
about what allanandthera posted: dont judge your whole commerce degree experience based on first year. trust me you will get hit with all core commerce courses second year.

for the OP, i suggest you look at the different fields in commerce and see if anything appeals to you, keep in mind that not everyone fits into one or the other. in second year you get exposed to all the different fields and in third year you can start taking course specific to your interest.
also commerce doesn't have a "major" at mac
is that a big deal that commerce doesn't have a "major"
Old 11-14-2013 at 08:13 PM   #11
shreebee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarbs View Post
is that a big deal that commerce doesn't have a "major"
no it's not a big deal, it's just something i wanted to point out.
and since a major isn't required, you don't have to pick a specific field.

sbarbs says thanks to shreebee for this post.
Old 11-14-2013 at 10:47 PM   #12
Danielrus

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarbs View Post
I wouldn't say Id like to go into commerce simply for the bang in the buck rather i do indeed consider myself a people person! That probably is the strongest reason that allows me to believe i should take it. I can certainly see myself enjoying doing business transactions and what not. My strong suit is personal relations rather than applying stuff as in science. I can talk better than I can test so to say. When it comes down to it, I personally think I can get further with a commerce degree rather than science, because like I said I can't test and my future, if i stayed in science, would be preferred to take the mcat and pursue a career in psychiatry.
I personally see commerce being a more practical field. My biggest fear comes from the fact that life science and commerce are quite different so the decision I make can lead to consequences. If i switch next year i loose a full year and lose my money invested. And yes, to me, money is a big deal and I really don't want to loose 6000 over something I could've prevented. So Id like to make a choice this semester...its just a big jump..

so in short haha, could u please tell me what it's like?!
you seem to think they don't have tests in commerce.... which I'm quite certain they do

shreebee likes this.
Old 11-15-2013 at 08:36 AM   #13
shreebee

yes commerce does have tests, and quite the fair share

Danielrus likes this.
Old 11-15-2013 at 11:07 AM   #14
sbarbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielrus View Post
you seem to think they don't have tests in commerce.... which I'm quite certain they do
Im fully aware they do, but I'm saying in the long term, with a life sic degree Id like to purse a doctorate degree aka doing the mcats.
I would like a more secure back up plan with my degree. I feel with commerce I'm more able to use my people skills...not much of my testing skills.

I won't need to do subjects like chem, I see as commerce being more practical and making much more sense, thats all.
Old 11-15-2013 at 12:58 PM   #15
escape

Liked: 38 Times

if i had to do it all over again, i would pick commerce.

sbarbs says thanks to escape for this post.