MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unable to change tutorial times in SOLAR? Alchemist11 Academics 1 09-08-2010 05:20 PM
How do you change times for your core, lab, and tutorial for your timetable on solar memyselfandi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 08-15-2010 12:26 PM
Life Sci 2B03 term 2 no tutorial assigned??? jubilantx Academics 3 08-14-2010 10:33 AM
anyone can give me positive/negative feedbacks on my life sci mock timetable? m0nica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-28-2010 07:03 PM
Can anyone give me a review of these Life Science Level 2 Courses? Rakim Academics 7 06-06-2010 08:20 PM

Life Sci I: SOLAR won't give you that LAB/TUTORIAL *cry*

Old 08-17-2009 at 02:07 PM   #31
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
You might as well check every day until school starts. When class starts Jeff Lundry (I think that's his name) the lab coordinator, will ask everyone with Monday labs to see him to fix it. That's what he did last year anyways. It's funny how they made the same mistake as last year.
yeh you really have to check every day and multiple times a day. even then its pretty hard.

With chem 1aa3 it fills up. Then when chem 1a03 gets started... and the first tests rolls by... a lot of people drop the course and end up dropping 1aa3. Chem 1a03 rapes a lot of people so they tend to stay away from 1aa3 for summer or later on.
Old 08-17-2009 at 02:14 PM   #32
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelp View Post
yeh you really have to check every day and multiple times a day. even then its pretty hard.

With chem 1aa3 it fills up. Then when chem 1a03 gets started... and the first tests rolls by... a lot of people drop the course and end up dropping 1aa3. Chem 1a03 rapes a lot of people so they tend to stay away from 1aa3 for summer or later on.
Very true, some people fail the course, and thus more space would open for Chem 1AA3. I totally forgot about that.

Also, I think it's Jeff Landry not Lundry ^-^
Old 08-18-2009 at 12:37 AM   #33
lankan_4lif

Liked: 9 Times

Why does Chem 1A03 rape a lot of people? Is it that difficult or people don't put a lot of effort into the course?
Old 08-18-2009 at 12:58 AM   #34
gcruz91

Liked: 0 Times

Does anyone know Jeff Landry's email. I was told that he was tellign eveyrone to just come and see him when class starts if your lab has conflicts with another course. in my case, my chem 1aa3 lab is preventing me from taking envir sci.

Does anyone know if i'll still be able to drop philosophy and take envir sci in the beginning of september? idk when the drop/add period is over.
Old 08-18-2009 at 01:05 AM   #35
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcruz91 View Post
Does anyone know Jeff Landry's email. I was told that he was tellign eveyrone to just come and see him when class starts if your lab has conflicts with another course. in my case, my chem 1aa3 lab is preventing me from taking envir sci.

Does anyone know if i'll still be able to drop philosophy and take envir sci in the beginning of september? idk when the drop/add period is over.
Yep, that's exactly what he told me, he's like try to switch it around so that it's conflict free, if not, see me during the first week of school :S
His email is [email protected] by the way

gcruz91 says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 08-18-2009 at 01:14 AM   #36
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lankan_4lif View Post
Why does Chem 1A03 rape a lot of people? Is it that difficult or people don't put a lot of effort into the course?
It's not that difficult at all. I did really well in the course. Just study for your tests, really study... hard.
Old 08-18-2009 at 01:15 AM   #37
lankan_4lif

Ok, thanks. What concepts are new that differ from the grade 12 curriculum?
Old 08-18-2009 at 01:17 AM   #38
lankan_4lif

Why did students find the 2nd midterm so challenging, anything particular with the second one than the first midterm?
Old 08-18-2009 at 01:27 AM   #39
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lankan_4lif View Post
Ok, thanks. What concepts are new that differ from the grade 12 curriculum?
Hmmm... good question... I'm not sure I can answer this as I don't really know what the grade 12 curriculum is... plus I heard it changed again last year.

I'll just give chapter titles:
Ch 8 - Electron in Atoms (Spectra, quantum theory, electron configuration, etc...)
Ch 9 - The Periodic Table and Some Atomic Properties (Metals/Non-metals/Ions, periodic table trends)
Ch 10 - Chemical Bonding I: Basic Concepts (Lewis Theory, Covalent bonding, Lewis Structures, Resonance, Octet Rule/Exceptions, Bond Energies)
Ch 15 - Principles of Chemical Equilibrium (Dynamic Equilibrium, Equilibrium Constant Expression, Relationships, Le Chatelier's Principle)
Ch 5 - Intro to Reactions in Aqueous Solutions (Nature of Aqueous Solutions, Precipitations, Acid-Base, Oxidation/Reduction, Stoichiometry)
Ch 16 - Acids and Bases (Arrhenius, Bronsted-Lowry, Self-Ionization of Water, Strong/Weak Acids/Bases, Ions)
Ch 7 - Thermochemistry (Heat, Work, Calorimetr, Reactions, Hess's Law)
Ch 20 - Electrochemistry (Electrode potentials, Ecell, Delta G, K, Batteries
Ch 19 - Spontaneous Change: Entropy and Free Energy (Spontaneity, Entropy, Free Energy)

I think you should have covered EVERYTHING in grade 12.

Edit: They just made the second midterm harder because the first midterm was so easy. They had to lower the average.
Old 08-18-2009 at 01:34 AM   #40
lankan_4lif

Thanks for the chapter titles Jeremy, I appreciate it. It makes sense since they gotta keep the class average around the 60s or so. Did they bellcurve any of the midterms or exams for this course?
Old 08-18-2009 at 01:36 AM   #41
lankan_4lif

Are the concepts a lot more harder in first year than grd 12 or jus more detailed with varying difficulty? Ye, I covered most of these except spontaneous change Chp 19, delta G and K.
Old 08-18-2009 at 09:31 AM   #42
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

They didn't bellcurve the midterms. Not sure if they bellcurved the exam though.

I didn't find the material that much harder from highschool.
Old 08-18-2009 at 11:27 AM   #43
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Hmm, wow. The chapter titles seem really similar to the grade 12 curriculum. Probably just more in-depth and such. Sounds good
Old 08-18-2009 at 11:37 AM   #44
lankan_4lif

That's good to hear and my teacher covered everything there, pretty detailed too. Looking forward to this even though it will be a bit tougher.
Old 08-18-2009 at 11:45 PM   #45
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Hmm, wow. The chapter titles seem really similar to the grade 12 curriculum. Probably just more in-depth and such. Sounds good
Yeah, as I said the material isn't that difficult. Just be sure to do LOTS and LOTS of practice questions/tests/exams. That's what's difficult about this course, the questions on the tests and exams.

~*Sara*~ says thanks to jhan523 for this post.