MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life Science Society Exec/Rep Positions 2012/2013 maclss MacInsiders Announcements 1 03-24-2012 07:52 PM

Life Science 2013 ?

Old 10-23-2012 at 10:31 AM   #1
Unregistered

Life Science 2013 ?
Hi, Im a grade 12 and i really want to get into the life sciences program.. but im unsure of the averages we have to maintain to SURELY get accepted in the program after 1st semester. I've heard the averages ranging from like high 90s to like mid 80s
HELP ME !
- confused grade 12 :(
also what marks did you guys get accepted into for the life sci program?
Old 10-23-2012 at 11:15 AM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, Im a grade 12 and i really want to get into the life sciences program.. but im unsure of the averages we have to maintain to SURELY get accepted in the program after 1st semester. I've heard the averages ranging from like high 90s to like mid 80s
HELP ME !
- confused grade 12 :(
also what marks did you guys get accepted into for the life sci program?
There is no answer to your question. As it states on the website, the cutoff changes year-to-year. It's based on the number of people applying and what their averages are. Basically, they rank everyone by averages, and take the top, say, 500 applicants (I made up the 500, I don't actually know what their number is).
High 90s will definitely get you in, but you seem to be looking for the minimum needed to get in, and no one can tell you that. Mid-80s is iffy. Four or five years ago mid-80s would have been pretty safe, but I believe it's been increasing over the years as high school grades get more and more inflated.

Knowing what average someone had to get accepted in previous years is completely useless to you.
Old 10-23-2012 at 11:46 AM   #3
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

In the year that just entered the cut off was 89% I believe, and I can assure you that in the previous year it was 88%. The class size for first year Life Sci is ~800 students. I doubt that the average required would go past 89, especially for this coming year, but you never know. All you can do is get as high and average as possible and hope for the best! Best of luck

Demovibutler likes this.
Old 10-23-2012 at 02:27 PM   #4
Atheist?

Liked: 31 Times

just a tip; if your grades arent good enough but you still want to go into life sci; apply for physics science instead

you do need to take phyiscs 1b03 and 1bb3/1ba3 but you need those for med school anyway so its not much different and the average different is big

my year was maintain 79% i believe while life sci was maintain 85% or something like that

good luck getting into Mac
Old 10-23-2012 at 02:46 PM   #5
jamiebenyovi

Liked: 7 Times

You could also apply to Environmental Sciences. I did this in first year and took all the same courses as Life Science students and then in second year you can choose to major in whatever you would like, doesn't have to be environmental science! Environmental science has a lower admission average so that might be a good program for you to look into if you don't have super high marks but have your heart set on going to McMaster!

lifesciman1 likes this.
Old 10-23-2012 at 06:30 PM   #6
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

yea, life sci, enviro sci, physical sci are all pretty similar in first year. 1st year program doesnt even matter. you just need prereqs for 2nd year program.
Old 10-23-2012 at 07:21 PM   #7
Philipp31
Elite Member

Just to kind of summarize what the above peopel are saying:

Life Sci I
Physical Sci I
Enviro Sci I
Math and Stats I

All lead to any level II program, so getting into any of those will allow you to go into any level II SCIENCE program provided you take the correct courses. Yes there are some different requirements as to what MUST be taken in first year but as long as you cover the correct courses required for the level II program you want you are set.

My personal opinion would be that taking Earth/Enviro sci, you have to take 2 enviro courses but those would make good electives anyways for people in Life Sci I. There is also a fair bit of elective room to alllow courses that would lead you in the direction of your desired level II program.

Makes sense?
Old 10-23-2012 at 07:23 PM   #8
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
My personal opinion would be that taking Earth/Enviro sci, you have to take 2 enviro courses but those would make good electives anyways for people in Life Sci I. There is also a fair bit of elective room to alllow courses that would lead you in the direction of your desired level II program.
no, you dont need to take any enviro courses even if youre 1st year enviro as long as you get into any year 2 program u want. and if thats your reasoning then add physical sci in there too since most 1st year science kids dont take math 1a03/1aa3/1b03, physics 1b03/1bb3/1ba3. add math and stats in there too then since most 1st year science kids dont even do 2 maths let alone the 3 needed for math n stats
Old 10-23-2012 at 07:34 PM   #9
Philipp31
Elite Member

Ahh good to know!