MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
laptops for life science students shawarama First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 24 08-21-2010 12:38 PM
Honours Biology (core) Or Life Science 2 Rakim Academics 9 03-05-2010 07:32 PM
Prospective students of Life Science 1 ishk33 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 07-07-2008 04:21 PM

life science/biology students

Old 08-12-2011 at 09:20 PM   #1
doppelganger

Liked: 65 Times

life science/biology students
How many bio courses did you take during second year? Which bios would you recommend taking?

(I know this is late, but I just want to double check the courses I chose)

Last edited by doppelganger : 08-12-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-12-2011 at 09:22 PM   #2
Jason036

Liked: 25 Times

Right now I'm taking 2 bios, 2 life science courses and 6 psych courses. I want to minor in psych.
Old 08-12-2011 at 09:25 PM   #3
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Your course selection is totally contigent on you. Are you in Life Sci? What do you want to do with these courses or want out of them?

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 08-12-2011 at 09:29 PM   #4
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

im taking 4 bio this year 5 if i can get into 2L03
Old 08-12-2011 at 09:31 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Not "biology" per say but all biology degrees have relatively similar 2nd years. I ended up taking 5 biologies in second year.

Edit: My recommendation is that you look at upper year courses and decide what courses interest you. Then take the prerequisite 2nd year bio course if there is one.
Old 08-12-2011 at 09:33 PM   #6
doppelganger

Liked: 65 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
Your course selection is totally contigent on you. Are you in Life Sci? What do you want to do with these courses or want out of them?
I'm a life sci student but planning on switching to Biology next year. I chose microbiology, ecology, physiology, and cell bio (as well as biochem). and I did genetics over the summer.

I really like biology but I can't really seem to narrow down WHICH part of it I like best yet so I chose a bunch of diff bios. What I'm wondering is, how much bio is too much bio? I mean, what if I get sick of it?
Old 08-12-2011 at 09:37 PM   #7
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

It depends on your program and upper-year courses you're interested in!

I took Bio 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D and 2F in second year.
Old 08-12-2011 at 09:38 PM   #8
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
I'm a life sci student but planning on switching to Biology next year. I chose microbiology, ecology, physiology, and cell bio (as well as biochem). and I did genetics over the summer.

I really like biology but I can't really seem to narrow down WHICH part of it I like best yet so I chose a bunch of diff bios. What I'm wondering is, how much bio is too much bio? I mean, what if I get sick of it?
It's good to take a bunch of biology courses. Second year is meant for that, then you can decide what you want to really learn within the biology area. If you really like biology then the number of biology courses you take won't affect you. I could probably take 10 biology courses and not be sick of it. Last year I took 8 bio/mol bio courses.
Old 08-12-2011 at 09:39 PM   #9
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post

You won't simply because they're such different disciplines. And for me, I had 5 courses and I wish I've taken more because I really enjoyed them.
Old 08-12-2011 at 09:40 PM   #10
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I took two actual Biology courses last year and transferred over. My course load this year is 90% Biology as a result. Your courses seem just fine for a transfer over; just be sure you really enjoy them and do well.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 08-12-2011 at 09:52 PM   #11
oranges

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
I took two actual Biology courses last year and transferred over. My course load this year is 90% Biology as a result. Your courses seem just fine for a transfer over; just be sure you really enjoy them and do well.
This is probably somewhat off-topic, but when you transferred was there some sort of form you had to fill out to request a transfer? Or did you just talk to an academic advisor and simply ask to be transferred into biology?
Old 08-12-2011 at 09:55 PM   #12
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by oranges View Post
This is probably somewhat off-topic, but when you transferred was there some sort of form you had to fill out to request a transfer? Or did you just talk to an academic advisor and simply ask to be transferred into biology?
As far as I know, there's no form involved with switching faculties. You just talk to an academic advisor, get the pre-reqs and that's it.

oranges says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 08-13-2011 at 01:51 AM   #13
R633

Liked: 24 Times

In March first year students are able to apply to specific specializations. If you are not in first year, you must contact an academic advisor and have them key in your application to the program of your choice. There is no form to fill out. Also remember that the cutoffs are usually higher than those posted by the faculties.
Old 08-16-2011 at 01:48 PM   #14
rkb12

Liked: 33 Times

This was actually concerning me too, as I have 6 biology courses right now: 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D, 2E and 2L03.

I heard that having too many biology courses in one year isn't good because med schools/grad schools see that as having less variety and they like well-rounded students.
But most of the courses I'm doing are either a pre-req for something I want, mandatory for second year MBG, or (in the case of 2L03) something I'm very interested in.

So I think I'm going to keep these 6 bio courses, and I have my electives/pre-reqs: stats 2B03, physics 1B03, psych 2C03 and astron 1B03 (big questions). I had more space because I took both orgos in the summer.
Old 08-16-2011 at 02:08 PM   #15
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

I took:

2C03- Genetics
2B03- Cell Biology/Molecular Cell Biology
2A03- Animal Physiology
2EE3- Microbiology
2L03- Experimental Design in Biology

As far as I know, almost every bio student ends up taking 2B03. Genetics was pretty interesting, but it was trickier than 2B03.. There was more analysis and conceptual thinking happening there than in cell bio, which was essentially just strict memorization. Physiology is a great class if you want to learn how the body works, and you can do very well on the midterms/exam from studying the lecture notes alone (they are fill in the blanks, though they are VERY comprehensive). Only downside is that the labs were a little shoddy.

2EE3.. the material is interesting, but I found the presentation and format of the class to be pretty awful. Having it as a night class will put you to sleep. If you have problems with accents, you may find Dr. Xu very hard to understand. You will basically have to learn this class entirely from the textbook, because the questions Dr. Xu asks are just way out there sometimes. Anything is fair game..

2L03 is a fantastic lab course, and was my favourite class in second year. I have a HUGE review of it posted here:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...tr=B&t=43 494

In summary: Arguably dry class component, but hands down the best labs I've ever taken. I had a lot of fun in the lab =D

doppelganger says thanks to Freak705 for this post.