MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Degree Requirements Honour Political Science littlejohnny Academics 2 05-14-2010 04:58 PM
Science...more specifically Life Science Meg543 Academics 9 08-24-2009 07:53 PM
LIFE SCIENCE Level II REQUIREMENTS qadisami Academics 12 07-18-2009 01:48 AM
Life Science Graduating Requirements jimimusic First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-09-2009 06:56 PM

Life Science Requirements?

Old 06-22-2011 at 12:41 PM   #1
joey16

Liked: 0 Times

Life Science Requirements?
Hey I'm in grade 11 and with an interest of going into Life Science for uni, but I was just wondering about the requirements.

I looked at the McMaster site, and it says Calculus and Vectors is recommended, but not required. Math is not really my strongest class, so I don't really wanna take 2 maths if it's going to hurt my average in the long run. I know I don't have to include Calculus in my top 6, but if I have it in my semester, I'm gonna have to put a lot of time studying for it, when I could have been using that extra time to study for my classes that are required.

Also, I was wondering if people who took Calculus will have an advantage into getting in the program, over people who didn't?

So far my Grade 12 schedule is composed of, French, Religion, English, Advanced Functions, Chemistry and Biology.

Last edited by joey16 : 06-22-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-22-2011 at 12:53 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey16 View Post
Hey I'm in grade 11 and with an interest of going into Life Science for uni, but I was just wondering about the requirements.

I looked at the McMaster site, and it says Calculus and Vectors is recommended, but not required. Math is not really my strongest class, so I don't really wanna take 2 maths if it's going to hurt my average in the long run. I know I don't have to include Calculus in my top 6, but if I have it in my semester, I'm gonna have to put a lot of time studying for it, when I could have been using that extra time to study for my classes that are required.

Also, I was wondering if people who took Calculus will have an advantage into getting in the program, over people who didn't?

So far my Grade 12 schedule is composed of, French, Religion, English, Advanced Functions, Chemistry and Biology.
You will have to do Math 1F03 in University which is grade 12 Calculus and Vectors and then take either 1LS3 or 1A03 which is more math. It's really up to you, because if you don't take it you will have to use one of your electives to take 1F03.
Old 06-22-2011 at 12:56 PM   #3
joey16

I think I'll just take it in University then, I just don't want people getting in over me because they have Calculus.
Old 06-22-2011 at 01:03 PM   #4
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

Keep in mind, if you take calc in high school and your plans change for whatever reason and you don't end up pursuing Life Sciences at McMaster, you'll have many more options with calc than without calc. Not to mention it costs you nothing to take it in high school, but will cost you several hundred dollars to take the equivalent here. Also, potentially having a heavier courseload in high school may better prepare you for a university level courseload, in the sense that the difference between a relatively easy high school year to a heavier (and more challenging, because of math) year in university may be smaller. Oh, and you're going to be applying for your specializations at the end of first year, so you'll likely want your university marks to be as high as possible as well.

Iunno, those are just things to keep in mind. Do whatever works best for you; but if it's gonna suck to have to take it at all, you may as well get it out of the way now, so you can enjoy your program without dealing with that here. There is life beyond university acceptances :p
Old 06-22-2011 at 01:37 PM   #5
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

No physics? You will have to take physics in Level I, and if medical school is something you're considering you'll probably need a full year of physics classes in university (with lab components as well!) Physics 1L03 does not count as a class with a lab component, which means you'd have to take 1B03 and 1BB3 or 1BA3. If you haven't done grade 12 physics, that might be particularly challenging.

As far as calculus goes, Math 1LS3 is a complete joke so I'm assuming the prereq for that would be even more of a joke. Math was my worst subject in high-school, I got an 83 in Advanced Functions and only a 75 in Calculus, but Math 1LS3 is like 75% highschool review so I got a 12 no problem.
Old 06-22-2011 at 02:26 PM   #6
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Take it in summer school after grade 12 before you come. It a) won't hurt getting in b) won't hurt your university average and c) doesn't take up space in courses.
Old 06-22-2011 at 02:36 PM   #7
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Definitely take it. I found Calc to be of the same level or easier than functions. You don't want to use up your elective on something silly like Math 1F03 when you could have taken it in high school.
Old 06-22-2011 at 02:37 PM   #8
Ivan Q.

Liked: 10 Times

If I were you I would just take it in highschool because no matter what, you'll need to study for things! Plus, it's good prep for university

If you don't take it now, you'll eventually need to take calculus (Math 1A03 or 1LS3) as part of the life science program and of course the grade 12 equivalent, Math 1F03 (to allow you to take Math 1A03/1LS)!! Plus, both those marks will be forever stuck on your transcript and used to calculate your overall average at Mac!
Old 06-22-2011 at 02:42 PM   #9
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
Take it in summer school after grade 12 before you come. It a) won't hurt getting in b) won't hurt your university average and c) doesn't take up space in courses.
I also think this is your best option. Makes perfect sense given your situation.
Old 06-22-2011 at 02:50 PM   #10
kousharee

Hey there,

I have some interesting advice. I decided halfway through first year at Mac to pursue life sciences and did not take Calculus in high school. I emailed the professor and personally asked to enroll in his first year Calc class without taking the high school equivalent (1F03). He let me do this and I got through it no problem even though my is not my strongsuit either. I suggest trying this because the mark you get coming in from high school DOES matter, whereas the mark you get in first year when you're already in, doesn't really really matter. At the end of the day had I failed, the school and prof don't care - they got my money regardless. As long as you're willing to put in the work to pass, I'm sure you can do this as well.
Old 06-22-2011 at 02:51 PM   #11
joey16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak705 View Post
No physics? You will have to take physics in Level I, and if medical school is something you're considering you'll probably need a full year of physics classes in university (with lab components as well!) Physics 1L03 does not count as a class with a lab component, which means you'd have to take 1B03 and 1BB3 or 1BA3. If you haven't done grade 12 physics, that might be particularly challenging.

As far as calculus goes, Math 1LS3 is a complete joke so I'm assuming the prereq for that would be even more of a joke. Math was my worst subject in high-school, I got an 83 in Advanced Functions and only a 75 in Calculus, but Math 1LS3 is like 75% highschool review so I got a 12 no problem.
What? Why would I need to do a full year of physics if it' not even recommended or required? I took physics this year and I did the worst I've ever done in any course, so I don't wanna take it again.
Old 06-22-2011 at 02:58 PM   #12
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/lif...uirements.html

Requirements
120 units total (Levels I to IV), of which no more than 48 units may be Level I

Level I
30 units (See Admission above.)

Levels II-IV: 90 units
3 units LIFE SCI 2A03
9 units from BIO 2B03, 2F03, BIOCHEM 2EE3, LIFE SCI 2C03, 2D03, 2H03, 2N03
6 units from LIFE SCI 3A03, 3B03, 3C03, 3DD3, 3K03, 3Z03, ENVIRO SCI 3B03, 3CC3
36 units from the Honours Life Sciences Course List, of which at least 18 units must be Levels III, IV
0-3 units from PHYSICS 1B03, 1L03 if not completed in Level I (See Admission Note 1 above.)
30-36 units Electives

It's part of being a science student! 1st year is very general, there are only 2 required biology courses, the other 8 potentially have nothing to do with life sciences explicitly. And as I mentioned, Physics is often a requirement for medical schools, and is a part of the physical sciences portion of the MCAT (medical colleges admission test).

Physics is really not all that bad. In grade 11, I got a 74 in physics and I definitely felt like I was in way over my head. But in grade 12 I actually took the time to put true effort into the work and understanding in it, and I got a 93. From then on, physics was never bad for me. I even LIKED physics.. I took Physics 1BA3 as an ELECTIVE :p (continuation of physics for physics majors).

People constantly run around claiming physics 1B03 was the hardest class they took in first year, but I think that claim is a little dubious. It was largely review from grade 12 physics. And take my word for it that physics 1L03 is just a huge waste of time and money, I know so many people that took it not knowing they'd need 1B03 later on and even 1BB3.

Last edited by Freak705 : 06-22-2011 at 03:05 PM.

Alchemist11 likes this.
Old 06-22-2011 at 03:08 PM   #13
kousharee

You only have to take 1 physics course. I took physics 1L03 and found it manageable and I had never taken physics before.
Old 06-22-2011 at 04:59 PM   #14
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey16 View Post
What? Why would I need to do a full year of physics if it' not even recommended or required? I took physics this year and I did the worst I've ever done in any course, so I don't wanna take it again.
The poster said if you want to go to med school then you'll likely need a full year of physics (for most schools). Many other professional schools required it as well. Either way, you will have to take physics 1L03 (there is no way around it if you stay in Life Sci), so if you're also taking math 1F03, there go your electives...and your marks (and courses) in first year do matter, because you have to apply to your second-year (degree) program, and this is based on first year marks. Also, you get a lot more help and are generally more likely to do well in something you struggle with in a high school setting. First year will be completely different than what you're used to. If you do bad in high school then it's not likely you'd do better in university (there are some exceptions, but generally it won't happen). Like you said, the marks don't have to count towards your top 6.
If it's something you struggle with, it also might not be a good idea to take it as a summer course, because the information will be crammed together, giving you less time to practice.
Old 06-22-2011 at 05:20 PM   #15
joey16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
The poster said if you want to go to med school then you'll likely need a full year of physics (for most schools). Many other professional schools required it as well. Either way, you will have to take physics 1L03 (there is no way around it if you stay in Life Sci), so if you're also taking math 1F03, there go your electives...and your marks (and courses) in first year do matter, because you have to apply to your second-year (degree) program, and this is based on first year marks. Also, you get a lot more help and are generally more likely to do well in something you struggle with in a high school setting. First year will be completely different than what you're used to. If you do bad in high school then it's not likely you'd do better in university (there are some exceptions, but generally it won't happen). Like you said, the marks don't have to count towards your top 6.
If it's something you struggle with, it also might not be a good idea to take it as a summer course, because the information will be crammed together, giving you less time to practice.
Okay so in my first year, I have to take a physics course and a calculus course, along with another math course? I am planning on going to Med School, but I think even if I struggle first year and end up with low 80s, I can bounce back and get higher marks the following years once I specialize into programs I actually enjoy, such as Biology or Chemisry.