MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Degree Requirements Honour Political Science littlejohnny Academics 2 05-14-2010 04:58 PM
Science...more specifically Life Science Meg543 Academics 9 08-24-2009 07:53 PM
LIFE SCIENCE Level II REQUIREMENTS qadisami Academics 12 07-18-2009 01:48 AM
Life Science Graduating Requirements jimimusic First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 07-09-2009 06:56 PM

Life Science Requirements?

Old 06-22-2011 at 05:37 PM   #16
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey16 View Post
Okay so in my first year, I have to take a physics course and a calculus course, along with another math course? I am planning on going to Med School, but I think even if I struggle first year and end up with low 80s, I can bounce back and get higher marks the following years once I specialize into programs I actually enjoy, such as Biology or Chemisry.
Lol, in university, low 80s isn't "struggling". If you can get low 80s in all your subjects, you're doing fine.
In first year, you'll take:
two bios
two chems
the gr12 physics equivalent
the gr12 calc equivalent
life sci calc part 1
one psych (two if you plan on staying in life sci or taking some upper year psych courses)

Many upper year bio/chem programs also require physics 1B03 (part 1 of first-year physics), so if you don't take it in first year you'll have to have it done by the end of second year. I was initially registered in 1B03, and the academic advisors told me to change it to 1L03...and then at the end of first term, I fought to switch it back to 1B03--and I don't regret it at all. I didn't get as good a mark as I would have liked, but it was decent and I didn't waste my time or money on 1L03.
Old 06-22-2011 at 05:39 PM   #17
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

To put it very roughly:

Physics 1B03 and Math 1LS3 are basically where "university starts." Much of it can be review but there's a bit of new stuff. Ideally, starting with these courses avoids wasting electives and tuition money on material you could have covered in high-school.

If you don't take grade 12 physics or calculus, Physics 1L03 and Math 1F03 would be similar to the grade 12 level classes. Both of these classes can be avoided outright if you do physics and calculus in high-school.

Seeing as you said you want to pursue medical school, many schools require a full year of physics, and they will only count classes with a lab component. As I mentioned, Physics 1L03 lacks a lab component and won't count towards this prerequisite for some medical schools. If you don't take grade 12 physics, you will have to take Physics 1L03, 1B03 & 1BB3 to get to the requirement. Also, a number of 2nd year programs also require physics 1B03 as a prerequisite.

As far as math goes, completing 1LS3 is good enough for most programs. I already had grade 12 calculus so once I finished 1LS3 I've completed all of my math requirements for my major.

And yeah, as neural said there, getting low 80's (a 10 on the 12 point system) is fantastic :p I had an A+/93 average out of high-school, and after two years at university my average is about ~82%. Expect a drop in your grades :p Generally, tests are far more application based, and when there is memory work involved, they pick the stupidest, most random and seemingly useless facts to test you on (you'll see what I mean!).

Last edited by Freak705 : 06-22-2011 at 05:42 PM.