MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
LIFE SCI 3d03 pineaukeo Academics 1 12-11-2012 10:44 AM
Life Sci 3D03? science002 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 11-16-2012 11:37 AM
what is the difference between bio 3dd3 and life science 3d03 Annieloveedw Academics 4 06-16-2012 11:21 AM
Life Sci 3D03- any info? psps Academics 1 05-07-2012 12:47 PM
Admission to McMaster (Life Sciences and Health Sciences) Unregistered First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 21 03-20-2012 10:49 PM

Life Sciences 3D03

Life Sciences 3D03
Published by onedayy
05-01-2013
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
50%50%50%
Professor Rating
60%60%60%
Interest
80%80%80%
Easiness
70%70%70%
Average 65%
Life Sciences 3D03

Mark breakdown:
- Quizzes 8%
- Summaries 8%
- Information presentation 24%
- Overall discussion 5%
- Midterm exam 20%
- Group project 20%
- Take-home exam 15%

1 lecture + 1 mandatory tutorial / week
Required textbook: none - but must buy a CD (~$5) that contains course manual as well as course materials

General comment:
Mark breakdown itself can give you an idea that this course has some serious amount of work involved.
I give "easiness" 7, but there's one thing you should keep in mind. It is very easy to get a final grade of around A-. That being said, it is somewhat difficult to get A+, and intense "studying" that all of us (science students) are used to will not help you at all to achieve A+ in this course. As you can see, midterms & quizzes only account for 28%, and the rest includes essays, weekly in-class presentation, etc.
This course has more to it than just studying. Personally, I find it stupid that most of the marks are based on subjective judgments from the TAs. But again, it is very easy to get A- without even trying hard (as long as you attend weekly tutorials). So if you are a type of person who is satisfied with A- ish, then the easiness is 10/10. If you seriously need A+, then this course may not be so good for ya.
Another thing I found very unpleasant is the fact that this course is self-learning based rather than prof giving formal lectures. You do weekly presentations in front of your tutorial group every week based on the video/radio/article you watch/listen/read from the CD. So again, you should take this into consideration before taking this course. For me, I know I would've learned much more stuff if the lectures had been given by the prof, not by the students.

Quizzes
There is a weekly quiz ~5 questions long. Format is generally fill-in-the-blank and sometimes true/false. Since there are 8 tutorials, each quiz is worth 1%. Quiz materials are based on some videos or radio shows that you can find in the course CD. Sometimes, there is unreasonable amount of things that you have to watch for a 1% quiz. But quizzes are generally easy; if you watch them once and take some notes, you'll do fine.

Summaries
Based on what you present that week, you have to write a ~300-character (including space) summary.
It's about 4 lines, and they do check for grammars, etc. This is one of the things that I don't like about the course. Sometimes, I put so much effort and they gave me 60-80%. Sometimes, I was so tired to I just wrote whatever I had in mind in 5 minutes and they gave me 100%. Very subjective marking scheme. My advise is "keep it simple" (no fansy words, etc.)

Information Presentation
This is the weekly presentation (for 8 weeks = 8 presentations). You're divided into groups of 6. If you want good marks, make sure you get reasonable group members on the first day. Since you're giving 10-15-minute presenation every week, you'll have to meet up with your group at least once during the week to go over. Every week, there's a 'leader' who organizes the presentation. One reason you can easily get A- in this course is because most TAs tend to give you full marks here as long as you present reasonable information every week. So that's about 24% you walk in with.

Overall Discussion
Every week after the presentations are given from your tutorial members, you are forced to participate in a tutorial group discussion. I participated at least twice to 3 times every week, but could not get a full mark here. Apparently, if you want to get the full mark, you have to participate 'actively', so I guess the active participation means participating more than or equal to 4 times in a discussion every week to get the full mark.

Midterm
100Q multiple choice. Really easy. Prof posts summaries from each unit as pdf files. Just read over and memorize, and you'll do fine.

Group Project
Near the end of the course, you're given a month to prepare for the final formal presentation. This also coincides with the busiest month of most people's university life. Extremely subjective marking scheme. Actually, we had the opportunity to see the 'best' group presentations in class on the last day, but I honestly think that the other group in my tutorial did much a better job. Very time consuming project for most. I have a friend who spent just 2 days preparing for it and got ~85%. As long as your project looks 'good' you'll get 80s.

Take-Home Exam
Yet another essay at the very end of the term. Topic is released just a week before the due date and that is during the exam period. Some people might like this, but I would personally rather write a 100Q multiple choice exam. Again, extremely subjective marking scheme. I think if your TA's been easy during the term, he/she tends to go harder on this, and vice versa (but this is only my personal opinion based on comparisons of the marks in general). Very very difficult to get 100%. I am certain that even if the TAs were to write it and have it graded by another TA, they would still not be able to 100%. This is out of 15 marks so 1 mark deduction is critical.

This course does have some workload, but you don't have to put much effort to get A- ish, because most of the marks are heavily subjective. I was very frustrated to see my mark, because I actually put a lot of effort and still could not get A+. You have to be lucky with your group and your TA. For example, for the final take-home exam, I'm dead certain that if you have your essay marked by 5 different TAs, each will most likely come up with different marks lol.. But again, since it is out of 15 marks, 1 mark difference means a lot.
This is my first time taking this kind of self-learning based course, and hopefully it will be last

puja.m says thanks to onedayy for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Life Sciences 3D03!

Old 05-30-2013 at 01:59 PM   #2
CoolKid123

Liked: 0 Times
Great course. Material is SUPER EASY, and doesn't require any/much memorization..pretty common sense, although it sounds like a lot of work, IT IT VERY EASY WORK, and won't take much time..presentations are given perfect score regardless of its quality. More life sci courses should be like this.
Old 06-27-2014 at 10:54 AM   #4
Oakville

Liked: 0 Times
very good class! recommend this course for sure!

Old 03-11-2016 at 11:31 AM   #5
lilrush

Liked: 6 Times
I am taking this course in Winter 2016 and let me say this was quite literally one of the most horrendous courses I have ever taken.

The mark breakdown is different now.
30% (2 midterms @ 15 each)
16% Discussions/Participation
7% Informal Presentations
6% Quizzes
6% Summaries
25% Group Project

70% of the marks in this course are subjective, and literally up to your TA. I found it impossible to get 100 on a presentation no matter how hard I tried (even going FAR above and beyond expectation).

The course is horribly run, and even though the tests are MC and marked via scantron, it took us weeks to get results. The midterm test marks were lower than expected. An average was not released but people were not satisfied. For example 10 marks from the midterm (10/59) were questions testing if you remembered NAMES. Literally the names of random people involved with any of many videos shown. To have this much of a test based on absolutely irrelevant and minuscule facts proves is in my opinion, counterproductive.

The group project is stressful. It asks you to "make a measurable difference in sustainability". Do you know how hard it is to make a measurable difference in the sustainability of your planet as a student with little time, no funds, etc? It is also nearly impossible to coordinate 7 different schedules (since groups of 7) meaning that groups barely meet in person. Leaving you to change the world over Facebook and google docs.

Overall, I would highly recommend that you avoid this course if you can.
Old 03-17-2017 at 01:06 AM   #6
Starships2

Liked: 3 Times
who was your prof?

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search