MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life Sciences vs. Health Sciences IqzFendi General Discussion 7 07-03-2011 10:55 PM
life/health sciences janom93 Academics 33 12-04-2010 09:50 AM
Life sciences admission question TC0923 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 11-11-2010 10:09 PM
Admission Questions (Health & Life Sciences) Damian-F First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 09-15-2010 11:29 PM
Life Sciences or Health Science? Shagana First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 06-17-2009 07:10 PM

Admission to McMaster (Life Sciences and Health Sciences)

Old 03-20-2012 at 06:56 PM   #1
Unregistered

Admission to McMaster (Life Sciences and Health Sciences)
Hi!
I'm currently a Grade 11 student, but I finish a semester early so I'm technically in my senior year right now. So, basically Mac is my dream school. I've sat in on a few 3rd and 4th year lectures - specifically health sci/biochem and have loved them.

So, I just would like to get some background information - how many people have had issues taking health sciences courses being in a major such as Biochemistry or Biology? For obvious reasons, Health Sci is a competitive program to get into, but I've heard that with the proper marks and knowing who to talk to, a lot of Biology majors and Biochem majors are able to get into courses that are specifically/preferentially given to health science students as long as they have the prereqs. Is this true?

For the program itself, how important are extracurriculars? And even more specifically, how do they decide which extracurricular (ie; a sport vs. a club such as computer science) is weighted over another?

My marks are pretty decent, I'm currently in Chemistry, and have Biology, English and an Elective to take - but I'm pretty confident for all of those right now.

Any feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks so much, and good luck on your finals everyone
Old 03-20-2012 at 08:58 PM   #2
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

It`s really dependant on the year and the amount of health sciences student currently taking that particular course. Sometimes there is wiggle room to allow non-health sci students to take the course but you tend to need to know the prof or have a good reason to take it.

If you`re asking about Health Sciences specifically I`m not totally sure. I know health sciences students who got in with one extracurricular and I know some who got in with 5 or 6. I suppose it depends on your supplementary application and such.

What do you consider to be `decent`marks and what are you expecting your average to be? That way we can give you better advive as to which program you're likely to get in to (Life Sci vs Health Sci)
Old 03-20-2012 at 09:11 PM   #3
yoni

Liked: 88 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi!
I'm currently a Grade 11 student, but I finish a semester early so I'm technically in my senior year right now. So, basically Mac is my dream school. I've sat in on a few 3rd and 4th year lectures - specifically health sci/biochem and have loved them.

So, I just would like to get some background information - how many people have had issues taking health sciences courses being in a major such as Biochemistry or Biology? For obvious reasons, Health Sci is a competitive program to get into, but I've heard that with the proper marks and knowing who to talk to, a lot of Biology majors and Biochem majors are able to get into courses that are specifically/preferentially given to health science students as long as they have the prereqs. Is this true?

For the program itself, how important are extracurriculars? And even more specifically, how do they decide which extracurricular (ie; a sport vs. a club such as computer science) is weighted over another?

My marks are pretty decent, I'm currently in Chemistry, and have Biology, English and an Elective to take - but I'm pretty confident for all of those right now.

Any feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks so much, and good luck on your finals everyone
haha smart.. wish I graduated a semester early from H.S.

It really depends on getting into h. sci courses. For sure you won't be able to get into the first year courses (other than psychobiology). in 2nd year the epi and stats are open (but to be honest they are kinda bad). in 3rd / 4th year, there are definitely a bunch that are open if you check the course calendar, but for some of them you have to email the professors and it can be hit/miss.

the biochemistry program is really good too! im in health sci but doing a specialization in the biochem department and i like the biochem courses more than the health sci courses. keep in mind that 3rd/4th year health sci is pretty much all electives (same with the regular stream of biochemistry). courses aren't really all of what make these programs great, it's the people you meet along the way

sarahsullz likes this.
Old 03-20-2012 at 09:25 PM   #4
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsullz View Post
It`s really dependant on the year and the amount of health sciences student currently taking that particular course. Sometimes there is wiggle room to allow non-health sci students to take the course but you tend to need to know the prof or have a good reason to take it.

If you`re asking about Health Sciences specifically I`m not totally sure. I know health sciences students who got in with one extracurricular and I know some who got in with 5 or 6. I suppose it depends on your supplementary application and such.

What do you consider to be `decent`marks and what are you expecting your average to be? That way we can give you better advive as to which program you're likely to get in to (Life Sci vs Health Sci)
My marks last semester were;

World History 4U - 89
Chemistry 3U - 91
Physics - 81
Adv Func - 86

This semester:
Biology 3U is 96-97 atm
Chemistry is probably around a 92 atm, had an okay start in orgo, and then did really well on the test - I wanna push it to like a 93-94 by the end.
Calculus and Physics, two courses I'm NOT counting towards my admission, I'm doing really poorly in. Literally a 65 in calculus, and probably an 75-80 in physics. Hopefully I can boost physics, but my calculus teacher is really difficult so I don't expect it to move anywhere.

The English mark I'm aiming for is 88 - 92, and Biology/One elective (Either earth n space online, exercise science, or food and nutrition) will probably be around a 90-95.

I'm aiming for a 90 average to guarantee admission into life sci. Given the chance, I'd probably go into life sciences but I haven't had a chance to fully look through all of the courses offered in health sciences for 1st/2nd year.
Old 03-20-2012 at 09:33 PM   #5
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
My marks last semester were;

World History 4U - 89
Chemistry 3U - 91
Physics - 81
Adv Func - 86

This semester:
Biology 3U is 96-97 atm
Chemistry is probably around a 92 atm, had an okay start in orgo, and then did really well on the test - I wanna push it to like a 93-94 by the end.
Calculus and Physics, two courses I'm NOT counting towards my admission, I'm doing really poorly in. Literally a 65 in calculus, and probably an 75-80 in physics. Hopefully I can boost physics, but my calculus teacher is really difficult so I don't expect it to move anywhere.

The English mark I'm aiming for is 88 - 92, and Biology/One elective (Either earth n space online, exercise science, or food and nutrition) will probably be around a 90-95.

I'm aiming for a 90 average to guarantee admission into life sci. Given the chance, I'd probably go into life sciences but I haven't had a chance to fully look through all of the courses offered in health sciences for 1st/2nd year.
Okay, fair enough. If you maintain an 89% at least you'll likely get in to life sci, the averages go up every year and if I'm not mistaken it was a minimum 87% for the current incoming first years. Either way, they're both great programs and if your ultimate goal is medical school they're both great degree options. Of course, there are a billion other options with life sciences depending on the major you choose but you get the idea
Old 03-20-2012 at 09:35 PM   #6
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

keep in mind that some of those courses wont matter for early acceptance at all if the 4U version of the course is done in semester 1 of grade 12. And none of your grade 11 marks will have any meaning for final acceptance.
Old 03-20-2012 at 09:36 PM   #7
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsullz View Post
Of course, there are a billion other options with life sciences depending on the major you choose but you get the idea
(insert shameless Biochem plug here) >.>;;
Old 03-20-2012 at 09:41 PM   #8
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
keep in mind that some of those courses wont matter for early acceptance at all if the 4U version of the course is done in semester 1 of grade 12. And none of your grade 11 marks will have any meaning for final acceptance.
Yeah, I'm fully aware of that. That's why I don't really count them - but hopefully I can pull the same mark, if not greater, in the 4U versions of the courses. I didn't apply for early acceptance, nor would I want to at this point, heh.

Does anyone know if they wait until your second semester marks to offer acceptance or will I get accepted after my application has been processed?
Old 03-20-2012 at 09:43 PM   #9
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
(insert shameless Biochem plug here) >.>;;
Honestly, my major of choice is biochemistry and biomedical sciences. ^^
Old 03-20-2012 at 09:55 PM   #10
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Honestly, my major of choice is biochemistry and biomedical sciences. ^^
Then you shouldn't apply to health sci.
Old 03-20-2012 at 10:00 PM   #11
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Then you shouldn't apply to health sci.
Well, if I remember correctly Health Sci offers a biomedical research specialization. The advantageous part of being a health sci student is that I don't have to fight over courses like 3I03 and 4I03 with health sci students
Old 03-20-2012 at 10:02 PM   #12
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Well, if I remember correctly Health Sci offers a biomedical research specialization. The advantageous part of being a health sci student is that I don't have to fight over courses like 3I03 and 4I03 with health sci students
The biomed specialization is not the same as the actual biochemistry program. There are a few courses that overlap, but overall the focuses are quite different. Think of it as a minor in biochem, as opposed to an actual biochemistry program.

sarahsullz likes this.
Old 03-20-2012 at 10:14 PM   #13
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Yeah, I'm fully aware of that. That's why I don't really count them - but hopefully I can pull the same mark, if not greater, in the 4U versions of the courses. I didn't apply for early acceptance, nor would I want to at this point, heh.

Does anyone know if they wait until your second semester marks to offer acceptance or will I get accepted after my application has been processed?
What do you mean 'not applying for early acceptance'? Once you apply in the Fall you're applied for both early and regular acceptances. Students with higher averages get acceptance a few months earlier, that's the point of 'early acceptance'.

You MAY get accepted after your application has been processed after a period of time, depends on each school and their average requirements. You will of course recieve a conditional offer and will be told to maintain a certain average in order to keep your spot. If you recieved early acceptance then your second semester marks will be a part of your conditional offer average requirement. If you don't get early acceptance then your acceptances go out after your second semester mid term marks are released.
Old 03-20-2012 at 10:16 PM   #14
khano22

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Hi!

Hey,

I personally think that you are going a bit fast through high school and thinking a lot more about university than you should. Im assuming u havent even applied to universities yet, seeing that you are in grade 11.
High aspirations are good, but focus on the present, i.e. high school.

What do the rest of you guys think?
Old 03-20-2012 at 10:19 PM   #15
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by khano22 View Post
Hey,

I personally think that you are going a bit fast through high school and thinking a lot more about university than you should. Im assuming u havent even applied to universities yet, seeing that you are in grade 11.
High aspirations are good, but focus on the present, i.e. high school.

What do the rest of you guys think?
I think it's good that the OP is looking ahead! Too many Grade 12 students scramble to figure out where to apply and sometimes don't have the pre-reqs that they need for the programs they want. Having a general plan is always good

yoni likes this.