MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Admission in to Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences MacFreak76 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-24-2010 11:47 AM
Health Sciences vs. Arts and Sciences - advice anyone? ktc11 Academics 3 05-19-2010 08:47 PM
Life Sciences or Health Science? Shagana First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 06-17-2009 07:10 PM
Admission into Health Sci Yeah General Discussion 33 05-05-2009 07:28 PM

Admission Questions (Health & Life Sciences)

Old 09-15-2010 at 12:26 PM   #1
Damian-F

Liked: 0 Times

Admission Questions (Health & Life Sciences)
Hi everyone,

I'm currently a Grade 12 student who is hoping to attend McMaster University in Sept. 2011. I was wondering how difficult it would be for me to enter the Health Sciences program or Life Sciences program.

Last year my semester averages were 95% and 93%.

This year the courses I am taking are:
  • Comm Tech
  • Biology
  • Chemistry
  • Advanced Functions
  • Religion
  • English
The two courses I am not taking however are physics and calculus.

Also, any other tips or advice would be much appreciated.
Old 09-15-2010 at 01:00 PM   #2
doug

Liked: 82 Times

I know that the Health Science program is very competitive to get into, whereas Life Science is not as competitive. However, I strongly recommend taking physics and calculus as it can do no harm to help prepare you for both of these programs.

Good luck!
Old 09-15-2010 at 01:03 PM   #3
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

take physics and calc. it will make ur life much easier once u get here.

the marks u have seem just fine for life sci... but im not too sure wat teh cut-off for health sci is... usually high
Old 09-15-2010 at 02:36 PM   #4
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 74 Times

gotta agree with the others on this one im currently in life sci and trust me you should take calc and physicz!! i had friendz who never took em and they struggled and they had to take a speical calc course for those who didnt take it and honestly its such a waste since ur paying like $500 for the course.

health sci is really really hard to get into even if you have a 95% average what it really comes down is for your application suplimentary question that you have to answer i have a few health sci friendz and they spent like weeks/months on answering that question. so its extremly hard to get into and im in life sci and as long as you can pull off an 86% ur in! its a good program with a lot of options! and heres an welcome to mac (even thou its a year early)
Old 09-15-2010 at 04:00 PM   #5
Damian-F

Thanks for the responses.

The only reason I didn't take calculus was because it would be right after my advanced functions class.

Do you guys think I could manage both in one semester? (Math isn't my favourite subject lol :p)

Last edited by Damian-F : 09-15-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-15-2010 at 04:10 PM   #6
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

Your high school avg is completely irrelevant once you get here.
Old 09-15-2010 at 04:31 PM   #7
doug

Liked: 82 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian-F View Post
Thanks for the responses.

The only reason I didn't take calculus was because it would be right after my advanced functions class.

Do you guys think I could manage both in one semester? (Math isn't my favourite subject lol :p)
From what I remember Vectors shouldn't be a problem, but I'm pretty sure you need Advanced Functions BEFORE you do the Calculus part, but I can't be 100% certain.

Damian-F likes this.
Old 09-15-2010 at 04:34 PM   #8
Damian-F

Alright, I guess I'll go to my guidance counselor and see what I can do.

Thanks for the help. ^^
Old 09-15-2010 at 04:37 PM   #9
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian-F View Post
Alright, I guess I'll go to my guidance counselor and see what I can do.

Thanks for the help. ^^
yea talk to em cause im pretty sure you dun wanna spend $500 taking a course that you could have easily owned in highschool, and yea you should be able to handle it cause advanced functions and calculus in a sense are different and if you pulled off a 95% last year it should be no problem

Damian-F likes this.
Old 09-15-2010 at 05:43 PM   #10
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblomfield View Post
From what I remember Vectors shouldn't be a problem, but I'm pretty sure you need Advanced Functions BEFORE you do the Calculus part, but I can't be 100% certain.
u dont
Old 09-15-2010 at 10:59 PM   #11
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblomfield View Post
You don't actually need advanced functions for anything in life. Anything that course teaches you, you will learn a faster way to do it in calc/vectors.
Old 09-15-2010 at 11:15 PM   #12
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times

In my HS, you needed advanced functions before calc.
Old 09-15-2010 at 11:29 PM   #13
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyshi View Post
In my HS, you needed advanced functions before calc.
The official Ontario curriculum states (stated?) that you need it either as a pre-req or co-req. I think they ideally wanted it as a pre-req though...and I took it in the first year the new math courses were offered, so I'm not sure how things have changed since then.