MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Admission Questions (Health & Life Sciences) Damian-F First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 09-15-2010 11:29 PM
Health Sci 2G03/Health Sci 3I03 deone Academics 5 06-30-2010 04:38 PM
Health Studies 2D03 (Mental Health) PBurge Academics 6 06-16-2010 04:01 PM
Health Studies/Health Age Courses **jewel 03** Academics 0 06-05-2010 06:15 PM

Admission into Health Sci

Old 05-29-2008 at 06:34 PM   #1
Yeah

Liked: 0 Times

Admission into Health Sci
Hi guys

I was jus wondering...so I'm a prospective student for Health Sciences...

And I wanted to know, other than the high marks, what other requirements are there for admission?

Like for those of you who are in the program...did u guys have a high number of volunteer hours, were u really involved or did you just have really high marks?

I recently heard that someone with a 96% avg didn't get admission... so clearly there are other requirements. Can someone please shed some light on this?

And i'm in IB and not many IB kids from my school got in this year....so is it harder to get in for IB students?
Old 05-29-2008 at 06:39 PM   #2
joset2

Its not about your mark its what you did with your life that matters.... of course they require a min mark to apply but what gets you in is you application and how well can you convey others about your life. IB, international, canadian...its doesnt really matter because most students who apply are generally smart kids. They really dont look at marks once you pass the cut off.

First students like us read application then the selected ones are passed to the dean... every child is hand picked!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2008 at 03:22 PM   #3
Yeah

oh wow okayyy, lots of work to do in the coming few months LOL

And another question...

So the supplementary application, is that really what you guys base your final decisions on...like after the cut off is that the deciding factor?
Old 05-31-2008 at 08:35 PM   #4
joset2

Supplimentary application is the key my friend.....
Old 06-01-2008 at 03:16 PM   #5
Yeah

ph wow... thank-you sooo much for this...means a lot!what kind of questions are there in supplementary application.
Old 06-01-2008 at 04:39 PM   #6
joset2

from the past ----

decribe one of your weakness?

If you have one philosophical question what would that be?how would you seek an answer?

what is problem based learning to you?

decribe 2 most important aspects of your life other than school?
Old 06-01-2008 at 04:56 PM   #7
Yeah

Thanks for a quick response, I had another question in my mind for volunteer hours. I am going to hospital and have already earned around 300 hours and still continuing with the same. What else I should do?

Please advise.
Old 06-01-2008 at 05:03 PM   #8
joset2

you should remember that almost everyone who appy will have lots of volunteer background. Probably more hours in the hospital. Volunteering in the health care is definitely good but that does not guarantee anything. So the next option is to be creative and different so they may recognize you from the crowd.

Have you done any volunteering for the animals? how about organize a community event like fundraiser or a marathon?Have you thought about joining a musical or play ????or give free tutoring for a student in school????

be different and original!!!!!
Old 06-02-2008 at 12:21 AM   #9
FlyWithMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by joset2 View Post
from the past ----

decribe one of your weakness?

If you have one philosophical question what would that be?how would you seek an answer?

what is problem based learning to you?

decribe 2 most important aspects of your life other than school?
so the questions change year after year ?

and do you really need LOTS of volunteer hours??
Old 06-02-2008 at 03:01 AM   #10
joset2

they change the q every year....
its not the hours that mat matter but what u did that matters...hours show only committment.....
Old 06-02-2008 at 01:52 PM   #11
Eva C
Elite Member

Liked: 3 Times

also, aside from volunteer work you can do other things that just make you stand out. My friend that got in had decent grades, but she never did any volunteer work really. However, she worked at a medical office as a filing person and then later got promoted to being the receptionist. I think its more of things that show you are different from other ppl and stand out.
Old 06-05-2008 at 04:34 PM   #12
Yeah

Can you advise me what I should do to make sure that I get a seat in Health Science from you guys experience as I still have one year to apply?
Old 06-05-2008 at 09:25 PM   #13
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Yeah if you go back and read earlier posts in this thread there are lots of suggestions.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-11-2008 at 11:24 PM   #14
Nosferatu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah View Post
Can you advise me what I should do to make sure that I get a seat in Health Science from you guys experience as I still have one year to apply?
There is no way that you can make it 100% sure. I would say continue what you are doing and it is enough for what EC activities are concerned. Make sure that you have at least 90% top 6 (if they don't raise the cut-off for next year). Most importantly, think about the supplementary application and what you'll be writing from the moment it comes out.

sunil says thanks to Nosferatu for this post.
Old 07-11-2008 at 12:29 PM   #15
sarrah66

Liked: 22 Times

WELL... i attempted to get in this year - lots of volunteering, english is by far my best subject, my average was 92.5 and i didnt get in. advice? honestly, find someone who's in the program b/c i honestly don't know.