MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Admission Questions (Health & Life Sciences) Damian-F First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 09-15-2010 11:29 PM
Admission in to Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences MacFreak76 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 08-24-2010 11:47 AM
Admission for Life Science Johnnyzzz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 27 05-13-2010 04:35 PM
Life Science Admission pepperminte First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 03-24-2010 11:38 AM
Graduate school admission question (easy question) Mac12 Academics 3 09-30-2008 06:27 PM

Life sciences admission question

Old 11-11-2010 at 05:22 PM   #1
TC0923

Liked: 0 Times

Life sciences admission question
Hi, so I'm new to this forum, but I've seen a few older threads about people questioning about their chances of admission. Now, as I read on the mac webpage, to get into Life Sciences, I need either Advanced Functions or Calculus. Here's my biggest concern: I'm getting around 72 for Advanced Functions in semestered but I was getting 87 in non-semestered before they kicked me out because my marks were too high. If I take non-semestered, it will be a full year course, meaning I would have to take night school calculus. My question is, does Mac care if I'm taking a full year ADF or night school Calculus course? Or if I'm taking Calculus at day school instead of a full year ADF and I get much, much better, would they count that in the admissions average instead of the horribly low (I'll probably end with a 65ish) ADF mark when our school hands in the marks? Thanks a lot, I'm completely lost at the moment and my guidance counsellor's not helping at all.
Old 11-11-2010 at 05:27 PM   #2
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

This is a really complex question. I couldn't even follow it. :/
Old 11-11-2010 at 05:30 PM   #3
TC0923

Hmm...ok, to say it in a nutshell, would it matter if I take a full year ADF course while taking night school Calculus if I want to get into Life Sciences? Like would it affect my chances?
Old 11-11-2010 at 05:33 PM   #4
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

o.o if I'm interpreting your question correctly, mac does not care whether you take your courses in the summer or in nightschool, so your calculus would be valid. never heard of full year adv function though.
Old 11-11-2010 at 05:36 PM   #5
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

you got kicked out because your marks were too high?
Old 11-11-2010 at 05:37 PM   #6
TC0923

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
o.o if I'm interpreting your question correctly, mac does not care whether you take your courses in the summer or in nightschool, so your calculus would be valid. never heard of full year adv function though.
Oh, it's only offered in our school for students who can't keep up or just don't want to take Calculus. But with the way our teachers are "screwing us over" on tests....many of us in the regular semestered class are requesting to switch over. Either way, if it doesn't matter, I think it'll be alright then. Thanks by the way.
Old 11-11-2010 at 05:39 PM   #7
TC0923

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
you got kicked out because your marks were too high?
That course is for students who were either failing or just didn't want to take a half year course because it was too fast. I just didn't think a 72 was high enough so I decided to switch out. But they said it was too high so after I got in, they kicked me out for some other person because the other classes filled out within 2 days.
Old 11-11-2010 at 05:40 PM   #8
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC0923 View Post
Oh, it's only offered in our school for students who can't keep up or just don't want to take Calculus. But with the way our teachers are "screwing us over" on tests....many of us in the regular semestered class are requesting to switch over. Either way, if it doesn't matter, I think it'll be alright then. Thanks by the way.
I'd suggest calling mac admissions just to make certain.
Old 11-11-2010 at 06:55 PM   #9
TC0923

Oh, and just one more thing I want to make sure; can I get into LifeSciences with only Advanced Functions? I know I have to take Calculus in Mac otherwise, but I just want to know if I can with only ADF and if I can, does it change they way they view my application?
Old 11-11-2010 at 07:32 PM   #10
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Ontario - Life Sciences I

Completion of High School Diploma plus;
Grade 12 U/M requirements - 6 courses in total, including:
• English (ENG4U)
• One of: Advanced Functions (MHF4U), Calculus & Vectors (MCV4U)
• Biology (SBI4U)
• One of: Advanced Functions (MHF4U), Calculus & Vectors (MCV4U), Chemistry (SCH4U), Physics (SPH4U)

Note: Calculus & Vectors (MCV4U) is recommended

Anticipated Admission Range - September 2011 (Subject To Change) mid to high 80s
Old 11-11-2010 at 09:40 PM   #11
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

I have some serious doubt about this full year course. It had better have the grade 12 course code or its no good.
Old 11-11-2010 at 10:09 PM   #12
teedee

Liked: 1 Time

you need to submit EITHER your advanced functions mark OR your calculus mark
i'm in grade 12 too and I have full-year classes for both functions and calculus and it makes no difference. they submit your november marks (for early acceptance) or your april marks.
and if you're taking night school calculus as long as the course code is MCV4U then that's fine