MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Admission Questions (Health & Life Sciences) Damian-F First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 09-15-2010 11:29 PM
Life Science.. is this possible? vp15 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-04-2010 08:26 PM
Admission for Life Science Johnnyzzz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 27 05-13-2010 04:35 PM
Life Science Admission iirynaa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 05-08-2010 09:48 PM
Science...more specifically Life Science Meg543 Academics 9 08-24-2009 07:53 PM

Life Science Admission

Old 03-12-2010 at 08:30 PM   #1
pepperminte
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

Life Science Admission
Hi, I'm a grade 12 student, and I am wondering if I will get into McMaster Life Sciences.

My marks are:

First Semester
Chem: 76%
Religion: 90%
English: 88%

Second Semester (What my marks will most likely be..)
Bio: 82%
Calculus: 80%
History: 82%

The cut-off for Life Sciences at McMaster is 83-86%. I calculated my average and it was exactly an 83%. What are the chances that I'll get into the program? I'm afraid because it's exactly an 83, they might not even consider me, especially since it's already March (I've heard people from other schools have already been accepted into the program).
Old 03-12-2010 at 08:39 PM   #2
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperminte View Post
Hi, I'm a grade 12 student, and I am wondering if I will get into McMaster Life Sciences.

My marks are:

First Semester

The cut-off for Life Sciences at McMaster is 83-86%. I calculated my average and it was exactly an 83%. What are the chances that I'll get into the program? I'm afraid because it's exactly an 83, they might not even consider me, especially since it's already March (I've heard people from other schools have already been accepted into the program).
Probably not good. It really depends on your semester 2 midterms. Go. Study. You CAN do it.
Old 03-12-2010 at 08:39 PM   #3
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

it varies from year to year, depending on the applicants averages but if you don't get in i suggest going into enviro sci and transferring at the end of your first year. I had a few friends who didn't get into life sci and managed to go into social sci and enviro sci and transferred with ease.

pepperminte likes this.
Old 03-12-2010 at 08:52 PM   #4
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Would you happen to know a poster who goes by the name of terryboy?

dmzz, Geek, SciMania, xo.monica like this.
Old 03-12-2010 at 09:03 PM   #5
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:

My marks are:

First Semester

Try to bring your marks up a bit - especially calculus, since that's one of the "top 6" considered (I think bio is considered as well). If you get in, work on chemistry - a lot of first year life science students tend to have trouble with it, even though the material is pretty similar to grade 12.

Good luck.

Old 03-12-2010 at 09:12 PM   #6
pepperminte
Account Disabled by User

Thanks for all the replies. Biology has always been my passion. In grade 11, I had a 94% for bio but my teacher this year is new and very difficult. I really want to go to McMaster since it has a really good Life Science program. I already got accepted into Waterloo Life Science and York Biotechnology, but the latter two don't have the reputation that McMaster has for Life Sciences. Anyways, I will work harder and try to bring my average up a bit more. Thanks again for the replies/advise
Old 03-12-2010 at 09:21 PM   #7
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies. Biology has always been my passion. In grade 11, I had a 94% for bio but my teacher this year is new and very difficult. I really want to go to McMaster since it has a really good Life Science program. I already got accepted into Waterloo Life Science and York Biotechnology, but the latter two don't have the reputation that McMaster has for Life Sciences. Anyways, I will work harder and try to bring my average up a bit more. Thanks again for the replies/advise
Really work on that bio, there are some parts of the course that are actually pretty easy. I'm assuming its the biochem part you're having trouble with.
Old 03-12-2010 at 09:23 PM   #8
pepperminte
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
Really work on that bio, there are some parts of the course that are actually pretty easy. I'm assuming its the biochem part you're having trouble with.
Yes :( It sucks because it was the first unit, and I didn't do so well. We only have one test and one culminating lab before midterm. Will study hard and try to ace both! Thank you for the reply
Old 03-12-2010 at 09:28 PM   #9
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Would you happen to know a poster who goes by the name of terryboy?
****ing brilliant my man.

Couldn't of said it better.

Entropy says thanks to dmzz for this post.
Old 03-12-2010 at 10:00 PM   #10
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

The lab will be difficult, but I got 98 on my second unit test for a healthy boost before midterms.

Seriously, watch out for chem wherever you go next year. It's a toughie.
Old 03-12-2010 at 11:10 PM   #11
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Pretty much all the level 1 science programs are the same. If you really want to go to McMaster and your 83 average (which is not bad) won't budge, just make sure you apply for environmental science which has a lower cut off. Being in environmental science level 1 still allows you to register for all the courses that a life science student would take. It doesn't really matter what your level 1 program is for your degree program (which you choose for second year) so long as you have the required courses. Hope this helps.

pepperminte likes this.
Old 03-13-2010 at 01:18 AM   #12
pepperminte
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
Pretty much all the level 1 science programs are the same. If you really want to go to McMaster and your 83 average (which is not bad) won't budge, just make sure you apply for environmental science which has a lower cut off. Being in environmental science level 1 still allows you to register for all the courses that a life science student would take. It doesn't really matter what your level 1 program is for your degree program (which you choose for second year) so long as you have the required courses. Hope this helps.
Thanks for that extra info :O I applied to environmental science just now. It was an extra $38, but I think it'll be worth it, especially if I don't get into Life Sciences..

Thank you again ^^;
Old 03-13-2010 at 12:26 PM   #13
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Thanks for that extra info :O I applied to environmental science just now. It was an extra $38, but I think it'll be worth it, especially if I don't get into Life Sciences..

Thank you again ^^;
no problem. I just also want to say that if you don't want to pay the extra 38, you can just switch life sci to enviro. it doesn't matter the name of your level one program so long it's in science... maybe you can get a refund
Old 03-13-2010 at 07:36 PM   #14
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Lol what? I though you could get into life sci with like a 75.
Old 03-13-2010 at 07:38 PM   #15
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

dam...i remember last years cut off was like 80...that means u of t's cut off is prob closing in to 90 now