MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Admission Questions (Health & Life Sciences) Damian-F First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 09-15-2010 11:29 PM
Life Science.. is this possible? vp15 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-04-2010 08:26 PM
Admission for Life Science Johnnyzzz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 27 05-13-2010 04:35 PM
Life Science Admission iirynaa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 05-08-2010 09:48 PM
Science...more specifically Life Science Meg543 Academics 9 08-24-2009 07:53 PM

Life Science Admission

Old 03-13-2010 at 11:33 PM   #16
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I had terrible marks; like a 60 in calculus, and the only reason i was denied for physical and life sci was because you can't be accepted into multiple faculties at once, i think.

I used OUAC to use up my 3 applications for all McMaster programs instead of diversifying, maybe they just felt sorry for me though.
Old 03-14-2010 at 12:50 AM   #17
syan9184

Liked: 25 Times

UT life sci?
no. Their cut off is usually low. They like to lure as many students as possible and take all their money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDorkulateD View Post
dam...i remember last years cut off was like 80...that means u of t's cut off is prob closing in to 90 now
Old 03-16-2010 at 12:43 PM   #18
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDorkulateD View Post
dam...i remember last years cut off was like 80...that means u of t's cut off is prob closing in to 90 now
UoT's cutoff is usually lower than ours, non?

Old 03-16-2010 at 01:57 PM   #19
killza

Liked: 105 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
I can confirm that u of t cut off is almost non-existent, as long as you didn't get in the 50s for your average, you were in.

Also, anyone care to explain what the "terryboy" thing is?

sinthusized likes this.
Old 03-16-2010 at 04:02 PM   #20
mac-gal

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
I'd say in yes, with the exception being U of T Trinity College (obviously)
Old 03-16-2010 at 04:28 PM   #21
eric_3490

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by killza View Post
I can confirm that u of t cut off is almost non-existent, as long as you didn't get in the 50s for your average, you were in.

Also, anyone care to explain what the "terryboy" thing is?
Terryboy started a couple threads asking if he will get in to engineering. It sounded similar to what the OP is asking.

Old 03-17-2010 at 07:41 PM   #22
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-gal View Post
I'd say in yes, with the exception being U of T Trinity College (obviously)
Most U of T arts or science programs have around an 80 cut off or a bit higher. Some of their professional programs have higher cut offs.

And then there's getting in to Trinity College .

Off topic, but wouldn't it be cool if Mac had colleges like that?
Old 03-23-2010 at 04:48 PM   #23
tatski-p

Liked: 35 Times

Hi pepperminte,

I'm in grade 12 aswell. I've been sent an offer of admission for life sci and it states I must maintain an 84% average in order to keep that offer, so I'm assuming that may be the cutoff grade for the program this year.

Keep working hard and asking for help when you need it. I'm sure you can get your average up there if you really put your head to it.

- Tatjana
Old 03-23-2010 at 05:00 PM   #24
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post
Lol what? I though you could get into life sci with like a 75.
McMaster science in general is a very competitive set of programs.

I'm glad your assumptions have been shattered.
Old 03-23-2010 at 08:10 PM   #25
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
McMaster science in general is a very competitive set of programs.

I'm glad your assumptions have been shattered.
Prior to the change from general science to more specific first year entry programs (physical, life sciences), if you couldn't get into any second year programs of your choice then you were automatically put into the life sciences program*. That's probably where Fight0 is coming from.

* I'm not saying that life science students aren't smart, many of them are and just chose to pick a more general program.
Old 03-23-2010 at 08:14 PM   #26
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Prior to the change from general science to more specific first year entry programs (physical, life sciences), if you couldn't get into any second year programs of your choice then you were automatically put into the life sciences program*. That's probably where Fight0 is coming from.

* I'm not saying that life science students aren't smart, many of them are and just chose to pick a more general program.
actually, you were put into BSc Life sciences (3 years) - requiring a 3.5 admission average

Honours BSc Life Sciences (4 years) is no different from other programs (e.g. Honours Bio), requiring a 6.0 admission average
Old 03-23-2010 at 09:16 PM   #27
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Actually I'm just saying that I thought our admissions average were way lower, based on what I've seen from people in the program, guess I was wrong though.
Old 03-24-2010 at 10:08 AM   #28
killza

Liked: 105 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
Most U of T arts or science programs have around an 80 cut off or a bit higher. Some of their professional programs have higher cut offs.

And then there's getting in to Trinity College .

Off topic, but wouldn't it be cool if Mac had colleges like that?
we do, it's called "health science"
Old 03-24-2010 at 11:38 AM   #29
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

he was talkin bout colleges lol