MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Admission Questions (Health & Life Sciences) Damian-F First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 09-15-2010 11:29 PM
Life Science.. is this possible? vp15 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-04-2010 08:26 PM
Admission for Life Science Johnnyzzz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 27 05-13-2010 04:35 PM
Life Science Admission pepperminte First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 03-24-2010 11:38 AM
Science...more specifically Life Science Meg543 Academics 9 08-24-2009 07:53 PM

Life Science Admission

Old 05-07-2010 at 07:36 PM   #1
iirynaa

Liked: 0 Times

Life Science Admission
Hi,
I applied for Life Sciences and i already have admissions everywhere else i applied, except for mac. I was just wondering if anyone has already gotten accepted with similar marks to mine.

Chem-82
Philosophy-84
English-82
Functions-90
Calculus-92
Biology-77
Tech-91

Also, my biology is pretty low so i don't know if this will affect their decision much, but my overall is between 84.5-86%
I'm just not sure if their going to count my tech class over my philosophy or chemistry. If they do then my average will be closer to 86%.
I'm starting to get really anxious now because this is the school i want to go to.
Do you think i'll get in?
Old 05-07-2010 at 07:47 PM   #2
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

They count the Top 6 including all the prerequisites. So they would count Tech instead of Philosophy.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 05-08-2010 at 12:14 AM   #3
Laydee Death

Liked: 4 Times

You'll get in, with an ~86%. =)
Old 05-08-2010 at 12:22 AM   #4
killza

Liked: 105 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by iirynaa View Post
Hi,
I applied for Life Sciences and i already have admissions everywhere else i applied, except for mac. I was just wondering if anyone has already gotten accepted with similar marks to mine.

Chem-82
Philosophy-84
English-82
Functions-90
Calculus-92
Biology-77
Tech-91

Also, my biology is pretty low so i don't know if this will affect their decision much, but my overall is between 84.5-86%
I'm just not sure if their going to count my tech class over my philosophy or chemistry. If they do then my average will be closer to 86%.
I'm starting to get really anxious now because this is the school i want to go to.
Do you think i'll get in?
don't worry lady, you'll get in =]
Old 05-08-2010 at 03:48 PM   #5
BestIEverHad

does anyone know when they will be handing out these last acceptances because my average is 85% and im starting to lose all hope :(
Old 05-08-2010 at 04:17 PM   #6
mac-gal

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestIEverHad View Post
does anyone know when they will be handing out these last acceptances because my average is 85% and im starting to lose all hope :(
It all depends on when your high school sends out the midterm marks.

But not to worry, you still have a good couple weeks.
Old 05-08-2010 at 07:17 PM   #7
iirynaa

Hi, they send out the last offers this upcoming week. I went to May at Mac and the admissions lady told me that most of the offers have been sent out already and few are being sent this week. But I doubt that you will get accepted (not trying to be rude, but I prob won't get in either nd my average is 85.7)because she said that this years cut off average was 87% which is extremely high. You can also call this number and ask for your application status. (905) 625-4600. I hope this wasn't ur first choice though cuz it was mine so I'm pretty disappointed.
Old 05-08-2010 at 07:27 PM   #8
mac-gal

Quote:
Hi, they send out the last offers this upcoming week. I went to May at Mac and the admissions lady told me that most of the offers have been sent out already and few are being sent this week. But I doubt that you will get accepted (not trying to be rude, but I prob won't get in either nd my average is 85.7)because she said that this years cut off average was 87% which is extremely high. You can also call this number and ask for your application status. (905) 625-4600. I hope this wasn't ur first choice though cuz it was mine so I'm pretty disappointed.
Have you considered applying to environment science or physical science?

I'm not sure if it's too late, but those 2 programs are very similar to life science. So in 2nd year you could transfer to Honours Life Science or a honours biology program, almost whatever within science as long as you have the pre-reqs.

Something you may want to look into - but fast (if you still even can).
Old 05-08-2010 at 08:06 PM   #9
iirynaa

Yea it might be too late, but I will try. I just want to wait and see what the admissions lady says because she's supposed to send me an email on Monday. But I might just go to a different university it's between Western and U of T, any advice on which one I should choose if not Mac??
Old 05-08-2010 at 08:17 PM   #10
mac-gal

Quote:
Yea it might be too late, but I will try. I just want to wait and see what the admissions lady says because she's supposed to send me an email on Monday. But I might just go to a different university it's between Western and U of T, any advice on which one I should choose if not Mac??
I've heard U of T marks ridiculously hard - or so say some people I know.

Western's a really good option, but be prepared that depending on your residence you're going to have to study mainly in the library because the residences are pretty rowdy. I don't know anyone there who said they studied in their room for that reason.

But my opinion doesn't really matter. You have to tour the campuses and see what feels right for you. Good luck! Fingers crossed you still get into mac!!
Old 05-08-2010 at 08:22 PM   #11
BestIEverHad

Quote:
omg r u serious... it was my first choice. i had a feeling the cut off was high cause of all thos health sci rejects :( omgawddd now where do i go... i think its too late for me to apply to environmental sciences
Old 05-08-2010 at 09:45 PM   #12
Sameen

Liked: 3 Times

yea U of T is VERY hard. I have heard that from almost everyone who goes there. I am going into my third year now but I remember when I went to the orientation at U of T in grade 12, one of the profs at the orientation even said that U of T is HARDER than Mac. Mac is also pretty hard but its possible to do well here. Other than that, Western is a really good option as well!
Old 05-08-2010 at 09:46 PM   #13
Sameen

Liked: 3 Times

btw, have the health sciences offers been sent out as well? just curious!
Old 05-08-2010 at 09:48 PM   #14
mac-gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameen View Post
btw, have the health sciences offers been sent out as well? just curious!
I think so, as I know someone who got in.