MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
life/health sciences janom93 Academics 33 12-04-2010 09:50 AM
do you have to take physics in highschol to get into life/health sciences? janom93 Introduce Yourself 3 12-02-2010 08:26 PM
Admission Questions (Health & Life Sciences) Damian-F First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 09-15-2010 11:29 PM
Health Sciences vs. Arts and Sciences - advice anyone? ktc11 Academics 3 05-19-2010 08:47 PM
Life Sciences or Health Science? Shagana First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 06-17-2009 07:10 PM

Life Sciences vs. Health Sciences

Old 07-03-2011 at 07:04 PM   #1
IqzFendi

Liked: 41 Times

Life Sciences vs. Health Sciences
Hey, so I'm a transfer student from York and I got into Life Science. I'm planning to specialize in Molecular Biology & Genetics and I'm doing a minor in psychology. What I want to know is if I'll be missing out if I'm doing Life Sciences instead of Health Sciences if I want to go to medical school. I don't really feel like transferring to another course because it may waste even more time doing an undergrad and if life is already good enough for med school then I don't want to consider transferring to Health. I'd appreciate opinions of both life and health science students! Thanks!
Old 07-03-2011 at 07:16 PM   #2
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 258 Times

It would be much easier for you to get into med school if you were in health sci, this is inarguable.
Old 07-03-2011 at 07:18 PM   #3
Galleria

Liked: 10 Times

BHSc only accepts about 20 students second year so your chances of getting in aren't that great.

I assume you're pursuing med school. In that case medical school adcoms don't care what your major was.

Both programs are great. Just be sure to do well in whatever you choose.

EDIT: If I'm not mistaken the deadline has already passed to apply to BHSc II

Last edited by Galleria : 07-03-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-03-2011 at 07:18 PM   #4
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

As far as I'm aware, you can get into MED school regardless of your program. However, being in a specific program can help you understand med school better.

Have you considered switching into Health Sciences II afte your first year? It wouldn't necessarily mean that you're wasting time doing your Life Sci undergrad because you wouldn't be xffering to Health Sci I.

IqzFendi says thanks to Cliu91 for this post.
Old 07-03-2011 at 07:18 PM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

It really all depends on your learning style and what you're interested in. Medical schools don't require you to be in a specific program as long as you complete the pre-reqs. The topic has already been discussed in several threads:
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...ces-35430.html
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...nce-21646.html

IqzFendi says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 07-03-2011 at 07:19 PM   #6
s.ma
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 4 Times

hey i'm in life science @ mac, but i have friends from health sci. and basically the differences from 1st year i see (can't speak of 2nd year and onwards) are that life sci is more general where its like chem bio physics but health sci there are tons of group projects and you get articles to read and create papers and journals. I mean doctors have to be able to work well in groups and continue research and analyze stuff, so i guess they have that opportunity to develop those skills, while life sci its like independent work.
But basically as long as you take the courses you need to qualify for med school and do well on the MCAT, you would do well.

Hope that helped!

IqzFendi says thanks to s.ma for this post.

IqzFendi likes this.
Old 07-03-2011 at 07:37 PM   #7
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

You can get into med school with life sci and it seems like you already know what you want to specialize and minor in so if you're not 100% about transferring, i'd suggest you stick with life sci. but you can always apply for health sci after first year if you want.

I'm a life sci --> health sci transfer, so if you have any questions, feel free to message

IqzFendi says thanks to MichaelScarn for this post.

IqzFendi likes this.
Old 07-03-2011 at 10:55 PM   #8
IqzFendi

Liked: 41 Times

Thank you all, I really appreciate it!