MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strike? ~*Sara*~ Residence & Housing 95 10-14-2010 10:19 PM
Looks like the strike is over. michelle General Discussion 46 11-11-2009 09:17 AM
strike? secretone General Discussion 22 10-31-2009 11:32 AM
Strike manaya General Discussion 158 09-23-2009 05:55 PM
HSR Strike lorend ARCHIVES 0 11-15-2007 12:21 AM

how likely is the strike?

Old 10-26-2009 at 10:46 PM   #16
Charbs

Liked: 33 Times

I agree... I understand the side of wanting to get what the TA's believe they deserve... but to hinder students from making it on time to classes and picketing, bugs the hell out of me. I already get up early to come to classes, that I pay thousands of dollars for, and to say the only vehicular traffic would be disrupted...that's a HUGE disruption to people who like other's have said, have nothing to do with the issue at all. Just because I don't walk to campus, doesn't mean I should have issues getting to class on time... imo
Old 10-27-2009 at 01:20 AM   #17
Werd

Liked: 16 Times

Unions are marketing geniuses. The best way to get people on your side is to get in their way on the way to work/school, and to hand out neon hot pink flyers that hurt your eyes everytime you walk through the student centre.
Old 10-27-2009 at 09:35 AM   #18
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

It's funny looking at the 'Similar Threads' information at the top of the page. So many of these stupid strikes have been happening in the last year that it's becoming a little ridiculous. I'm tired of them affecting any aspect of my life, and disrupting what I pay for. It might be selfish, but I don't understand why these TA's become TA's in the first place if they don't like their working conditions... because a lot of the TA's don't care and are just fine with the way it is. You think we're being selfish by not considering the needs/wants of the TA's? No, I think it might just be the other way around.
Old 10-27-2009 at 09:38 AM   #19
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

The chair of Political Science has just written and confirmed ALL tutorials in Political Science courses WILL be cancelled in the event of a strike. Please see attached email. We have reports of similar emails being sent out in other departments.

Quote:
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 9:40 AM
Subject: [D-polifa] If there is a TA strike
To: [email protected]
Cc: "Mason, Rose" <[email protected]>, Kathleen Hannan <[email protected]> , Manuela Dozzi <[email protected] mcmaster.ca>

Dear Colleagues,

Teaching assistants will be in a position to strike on Oct. 31st. I do not know what the likelihood of a strike is, but I am forwarding this information today so that you will be prepared in the event of a strike. This is especially important if you are thinking of holding classes off campus (see number 2 below).

General statements about faculty rights and responsibilities are laid out in:

Rights and Responsibilities of Faculty During Work Stoppages at
http://www.mcmaster.ca/mufa/handbook/workstop.html

Some department specific information about how we will handle things:

1. Classes will be held, tutorials will not be held.

All classes will continue to be held at the undergraduate and graduate level. Tutorials will be cancelled. All MUFA and CUPE unit 2 (sessionals) instructors will continue to carry out their existing duties.

2. Moving classes off campus
In the past some instructors have opted to move classes off campus. If you wish to do this there are some important procedures to follow (instructions attached):
i. Class space must be arranged / rented / leased in the name of McMaster and not the individual or Department’s name.
ii. Any expenses will be covered by the faculty member.
iii. Faculty member is responsible for notifying all students.
iv. Faculty member must notify their Chair, the Chair passes this information to the Dean.
v. Faculty member and the Chair must inspect and ensure that the alternative location is reasonable, accessible and safe.
vi. Appropriate checklist must be filled out by instructor and Chair. Failure to follow these steps may leave the instructor personally liable in the event of an accident. (Form attached).
vii. Office staff will not assist with making alternative arrangements for off campus classes.

Holding classes off campus poses a number of difficult personal and logistical obstacles for faculty and students. It is up to the instructor to make suitable arrangements. One suggestion is that you may wish to consider making a donation to the union’s strike fund and spend some time on the picket line to show your support rather than moving classes to another location.

3. TAs that cross the Picket Line
There may well be TAs who choose not to participate in the strike. The University and the Department must respect that decision. We will send an e-mail to our TAs saying that the assumption is that they are all on strike. If someone chooses to continue working they must identify themselves to Rose Mason so that their pay can continue. In most cases it is not practical to have them continue TA duties so they will be reassigned to RA duties or help out with Departmental tasks. They will not be asked to do the work of other TAs and will not hold tutorials since this would create unequal access for our undergraduate students.

4. Assignments etc.
Given the large size of our first and second year classes it is impossible for faculty to mark student assignments. In the event of a strike collect the student’s work according to your existing schedules. Store the work and have the TAs mark it upon their return.

If there is a strike and you have any concerns about these measures, please come and speak to me.

Regards,
Robert

Dr. Robert O'Brien
LIUNA / Mancinelli Professor in Global Labour Issues

Chair
Department of Political Science
McMaster University
1280 Main Street West
Hamilton, Ontario
L8S 4M4
Canada

Tel: 001-905-525-9140 ext. 24420
Fax: 001-905-527-3071
E-mail: [email protected]

webpage:
http://www.socsci.mcmaster.c a/poli...ertobrien.html

Co-Editor Global Social Policy
http://gsp.sagepub.com/

Email Confidentiality statement: http://www.socsci.mcmaster.c a/emcs.html
Old 10-27-2009 at 09:40 AM   #20
smiles

Liked: 20 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsahota View Post
The chair of Political Science has just written and confirmed ALL tutorials in Political Science courses WILL be cancelled in the event of a strike. Please see attached email. We have reports of similar emails being sent out in other departments.
WHAT??? WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO?????
Oh. Wait. The tutorials don't help you anyways.
Old 10-27-2009 at 09:44 AM   #21
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiles View Post
WHAT??? WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO?????
Oh. Wait. The tutorials don't help you anyways.
Yeah, this is true some of the time, but it means getting your grades back will take a hell of a long time. Even if classes where I don't have tutorials, the prof depends on an assistant to help them mark work. So now they have to do it on their own, and some profs don't care how long that takes.

However, I know in first year, TA's were really helpful when your prof wasn't well... performing well.
Old 10-27-2009 at 09:47 AM   #22
smiles

I'm not trying to denigrate TAs. There ARE good TAs out there, I'm sure, but the tutorial setting of 50-60 people isn't going to help you learn any more than a lecture. I can't say for political science, but at least that's how it seems to be for math/science, etc.
Old 10-27-2009 at 09:49 AM   #23
feonateresa
Elite Member

Yeah, I totally get you. Tutorials are a waste of time depending on the TA and course.
Old 10-27-2009 at 09:51 AM   #24
smiles

But hopefully we'll see considerate TAs like we've been seeing on this board showing up for work anyways. I think this would be the indicator of whether the TA actually cares or not.
Old 10-27-2009 at 10:15 AM   #25
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiles View Post
I'm not trying to denigrate TAs. There ARE good TAs out there, I'm sure, but the tutorial setting of 50-60 people isn't going to help you learn any more than a lecture. I can't say for political science, but at least that's how it seems to be for math/science, etc.
I totally agree tutorials of 50-60 are pretty much a lecture and aren't significantly more helpful than a lecture in any subject. This is why McMaster needs to get serious and get tutorials down towards 20-25 people on average. At many Universities tutorials are certainly less than 30 people and sometimes as small as 10-15. The problem is not with the TAs or the idea of tutorials, the problem is McMaster has made them so large, they've become far less useful.
Old 10-27-2009 at 11:07 AM   #26
Duarch

Liked: 19 Times

My Bio 3P03 tutorials are probably 10-15 students per TA. I find that they are VERY helpful. However, my opinion on tutorials in general is that they are useless. I usually don't learn much from them unless the TAs cover extra material or emphasize important aspects of lecture in class and show how to apply these concepts to do questions (our test are all short answer.. you need to know concept or you are screwed).
Old 10-27-2009 at 11:11 AM   #27
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Quote:
I totally agree tutorials of 50-60 are pretty much a lecture and aren't significantly more helpful than a lecture in any subject. This is why McMaster needs to get serious and get tutorials down towards 20-25 people on average. At many Universities tutorials are certainly less than 30 people and sometimes as small as 10-15. The problem is not with the TAs or the idea of tutorials, the problem is McMaster has made them so large, they've become far less useful.
In four years, I had never had a tutorial with more than 20-30 students.. except maybe first year math but that worked fine the way it was. I've taken classes in many different faculties too - Science, Eng, Humanities, Soc Sci..

just sayin'
Old 10-27-2009 at 11:33 AM   #28
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:

ALL you say??? WILL???

HOW WILL I GO ON!?!?!??!?!

Oh wait....

Old 10-27-2009 at 01:26 PM   #29
Charbs

Liked: 33 Times

tutorials are vital to my program right now, my Psych one is the only reason I actually understand half the stuff.... and is 10% of our grade
as well... Anatomy, we do a presentation worth marks...and two essays worth 10% each... in class... how are we supposed to do this when there is no tutorial... I WISH I could say my tutorials don't matter....
Old 10-27-2009 at 01:35 PM   #30
WekSos

Liked: 24 Times

Mo Money Mo Problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FTRAeycmM0

nuff said

maverick1990 likes this.