MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strike? ~*Sara*~ Residence & Housing 95 10-14-2010 10:19 PM
Looks like the strike is over. michelle General Discussion 46 11-11-2009 09:17 AM
strike? secretone General Discussion 22 10-31-2009 11:32 AM
Strike manaya General Discussion 158 09-23-2009 05:55 PM
HSR Strike lorend ARCHIVES 0 11-15-2007 12:21 AM

how likely is the strike?

Old 10-29-2009 at 12:53 PM   #76
michelle

Liked: 61 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
I think this is something that would need to be looked at on a case-by-case basis. Frankly in my 4 years here, I haven't had any issues with lab or tutorial size at all, and I'm not the only person in this boat.

It's obviously a problem in some places and not a problem in others. Instead of trying to make sweeping policy changes in this situation, it would make more sense to treat each individual case.
Well, I think the simplest solution would be to cap sizes according to room size/equipment available. That's mostly what I was saying. Having more students than computers is stupid.
Old 10-29-2009 at 12:54 PM   #77
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

We hope we won't be picketing at all, but if we do end up on strike, the tentative schedule for picket lines is M-F 7:30am-7:30pm. We released this information to our members at the information session last night, and will be making it public soon.

So I don't know what Fall Preview day is, but if its on Sat Oct 31, there won't be any picket lines delaying traffic. A small information picket (where we just hand our flyers and don't stop / delay anyone) is always a possibility though.
Old 10-29-2009 at 02:36 PM   #78
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsahota View Post
We hope we won't be picketing at all, but if we do end up on strike, the tentative schedule for picket lines is M-F 7:30am-7:30pm. We released this information to our members at the information session last night, and will be making it public soon.

So I don't know what Fall Preview day is, but if its on Sat Oct 31, there won't be any picket lines delaying traffic. A small information picket (where we just hand our flyers and don't stop / delay anyone) is always a possibility though.
Do you REALLY think people know the difference between a real picket and this so called "information" picket? All prospective students and their families will see is a union on strike (even if you are just "information" picketing).

Stop hiding behind technicalities.

manu, Taunton all say thanks to DannyV for this post.

Old 10-30-2009 at 08:07 PM   #79
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

So do we have a strike then?
Old 10-30-2009 at 08:21 PM   #80
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

Is it by tonight or tomorrow night they have in order to reach a deal?
Old 10-30-2009 at 08:43 PM   #81
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times

Tonight at 12

manu says thanks to adrian for this post.
Old 10-30-2009 at 10:01 PM   #82
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Anybody gotten any emails from the faculty of science? I haven't and my profs haven't really said much about it.
Old 10-30-2009 at 10:03 PM   #83
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I'm pretty sure they're waiting for the results of the strike to come out before releasing anything.

In a few classes, certain professors said they would or wouldn't be crossing the picket line.
Old 10-30-2009 at 10:03 PM   #84
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
Anybody gotten any emails from the faculty of science? I haven't and my profs haven't really said much about it.
No news anywhere... apparently the University has changed their offer a little bit, not offering any more funds, but reallocating what funds they're offering into benefits... that was an update at around 2pm though (and it was from CUPE, so take it for what it's worth).

I guess I'm going to wake up tomorrow and hear the news either way.

Lets keep our fingers crossed!
Old 10-30-2009 at 10:11 PM   #85
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I'm pretty sure they're waiting for the results of the strike to come out before releasing anything.

In a few classes, certain professors said they would or wouldn't be crossing the picket line.
Yeah one of my Profs said she won't be crossing the picket line. Someone in the class had to inform her that the University sent out an e-mail to students saying that classes would not be interrupted by the strike. She was all, oh, well, I'll have to check on that.

I'm pretty sure since the Professors are not on strike and in the event of a strike McMaster has said classes will go on as scheduled that Professors don't have a choice about whether or not they want to teach.

IMO its nice that they want to support the TAs and whatnot but I've paid tuition for this year and I will not be at all pleased if Professors decide they don't want to cross picket lines. Its unfair enough that TAs won't be teaching us but to have lectures disrupted for a strike that doesn't involve the Professors would be unacceptable.

DannyV, Taunton all say thanks to sew12 for this post.

DannyV, Taunton like this.
Old 10-30-2009 at 10:13 PM   #86
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
IMO its nice that they want to support the TAs and whatnot but I've paid tuition for this year and I will not be at all pleased if Professors decide they don't want to cross picket lines. Its unfair enough that TAs won't be teaching us but to have lectures disrupted for a strike that doesn't involve the Professors would be unacceptable.
Totally and 100% agree on this. IF I lose class time, I'd damn well better get my money back.
Old 10-30-2009 at 10:17 PM   #87
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
They've said that in the event of a strike there will be an announcement on ELM before Monday morning stating what actions will be taken. Lectures are continuing regardless, labs and tutorials might not be. If you have anything for Monday that requires preparation (ie a prelab), you should probably do it.
Old 10-30-2009 at 10:21 PM   #88
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Totally and 100% agree on this. IF I lose class time, I'd damn well better get my money back.
During the York strike they were offered tuition credits and not refunds, which sucked for students who were graduating that year.

Hopefully it won't turn out that way.

Taunton says thanks to Lois for this post.

Taunton likes this.
Old 10-30-2009 at 10:21 PM   #89
McIntyre

Liked: 173 Times

We should know by shortly after midnight. CUPE is keeping a live update blog of bargaining and will likely say if they didn't get what they want. In the event they didn't, there will be a strike because there is no more bargaining scheduled.
Old 10-30-2009 at 10:27 PM   #90
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McIntyre View Post
We should know by shortly after midnight. CUPE is keeping a live update blog of bargaining and will likely say if they didn't get what they want. In the event they didn't, there will be a strike because there is no more bargaining scheduled.
They haven't updated it since 2:16pm... not that they won't update if they reach an impasse, but it's not really live... or useful for that matter at this point in time.