MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I take Linguistics 1AA3 if I didn't take Ling 1A03? skgr Academics 1 09-30-2013 05:37 PM

Ling 1aa3

Old 12-15-2013 at 01:26 PM   #1
Simba:)

Liked: 0 Times

Ling 1aa3
Can I take Ling 1AA3 in the spring session? Also if I have an additional three units from first year, will that effect my number of units in the second year?
Old 12-15-2013 at 03:30 PM   #2
oldviking

Liked: 18 Times

Ling 1AA3 is the follow-up to Ling 1A03, which you must have taken in the fall. So, Ling 1AA3 is more of the same good stuff.

About the three units overload, I don't know. They could let you take it if your results have been good. Go see them at the Dean's office.

Impact on second year? If this works out, you will be three units ahead of the game. Could be useful if you find some kind of course timetable conflict in the future. Not a bad thing to have in reserve.
Old 12-15-2013 at 03:37 PM   #3
ganglion

Liked: 0 Times

Unrelated to the question above but I took ling 1a03 some time ago and am planning to take 1aa3 next term. However I don't remember the material from 1a03. Is 1a03 material necessary to do well in 1aa3?
Old 12-15-2013 at 04:51 PM   #4
celtics_fan

Liked: 12 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganglion View Post
Unrelated to the question above but I took ling 1a03 some time ago and am planning to take 1aa3 next term. However I don't remember the material from 1a03. Is 1a03 material necessary to do well in 1aa3?

not really, I took the two courses with over a year in between and still did well in 1aa3, so it's definitely doable They don't overlap as much, so you won't be lost just because there's been some amount of time in between

ganglion, oldviking like this.
Old 12-15-2013 at 05:43 PM   #5
oldviking

Liked: 18 Times

Good question. Actually, a bit of the material in the second course builds on what was taken in the first. But the idea is that through the two courses you get a taste of the whole wide field of linguistics. So, if you've done it before, it should help. (Think of a course in World Geography, where you might do North and South America in one half, and Europe and Asia in the other half.)

The textbook is the same. You did the first half in 1A03, and you do the second half in 1AA3.

The prof for 1AA3 is Magda Stroinska. She goes to great lengths to get to know everyone, and to involve everyone in discussion. An absolute sweetheart! "Do die for!" as they say. She's well-organized, posts interesting PowerPoints ahead of the class, and is quite fair with the marking. No traps or surprises! Don't worry about the time difference. If you did well before, this should be a snap.

celtics_fan, ganglion like this.