Linguistics 1AA3 feonateresa 1st Year Course Reviews 17 06-09-2015 08:15 AM
Linguistics 1AA3 AngusLee Academics 4 01-07-2011 10:26 AM
Linguistics 1AA3 Assignment #2 luv.ng.u Academics 10 07-17-2010 10:18 PM

Linguistics 1AA3 and linguistics 2L03

Old 05-10-2011 at 06:37 AM   #1
AnnaWM

Liked: 1 Time

Linguistics 1AA3 and linguistics 2L03
I was wondering it anyone who has taken linguistics 2l03 found it beneficial to have linguistics 1aa3?

Last edited by AnnaWM : 05-10-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-10-2011 at 02:42 PM   #2
katrinabell

Liked: 19 Times

Just a question... are you majoring in linguistics? If so (and the requirements are still the same) you have to take 1aa3. If you aren't majoring in linguistics save yourself a lot of grief and don't take phonetics. Its not a fun course.

But to answer the actual question, no I don't think you'll find it matters. Phonetics is covered in 1a03 still, correct? It won't really matter if you've taken 1aa3 or not.

AnnaWM says thanks to katrinabell for this post.
Old 05-10-2011 at 03:14 PM   #3
AnnaWM

Thanks for the response. I'm not majoring in linguistics but my friend said it was a good course. But how'd you like it? And would you recommend taking phonetics?
Old 05-10-2011 at 03:38 PM   #4
mickey2012

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaWM View Post
Thanks for the response. I'm not majoring in linguistics but my friend said it was a good course. But how'd you like it? And would you recommend taking phonetics?
The materials are not all that fun. The course starts with articulatory phonetics (how your muscles and such coordinate to produce speech sounds) and moves to acoustic phonetics (calculate sound frequency like you would in physics and vowel resonance frequencies). you also need to memorize the full IPA chart, which has more than 100 consonants, vowel, and diacritics. If anything, 2L03 is just a bunch of facts about speech sounds you need to memorize, and they are not particularly interesting, unless studying speech sounds is your passion of life. It's moderately hard and...not fun..

Last edited by mickey2012 : 05-10-2011 at 03:43 PM.

AnnaWM says thanks to mickey2012 for this post.
Old 05-10-2011 at 05:08 PM   #5
AnnaWM

So then how much do people end up getting in the course?
Old 05-10-2011 at 05:51 PM   #6
BVictor

Liked: 7 Times

So is there no transcription in this course? I'm keen on the IPA, and am more or less familiar with consonants not covered in 1A03. I believe the naming of vowels is different though, and I'd like to take the course to know what all of those different vowels are about. Does he focus much on articulatory phonetics? Acoustic seems easy... Physics and Calculus.

AnnaWM says thanks to BVictor for this post.
Old 05-10-2011 at 06:45 PM   #7
mickey2012

Transcription is pretty limited. The professor is korean, and being a phonetician himself, he can of course transcribe sounds accurately, but he realized there are some international students who would be disadvantaged if there were too many transciption tasks. I don't know how people did now, because I took it 2 years ago, and there might have been some reorganization. Anyhow, this course is certainly doable. My point is only that it's tedious. If you're curious, check out the full IPA chart below:
http://weston.ruter.net/projects/ipa-chart/view/

AnnaWM, BVictor all say thanks to mickey2012 for this post.
Old 05-10-2011 at 08:24 PM   #8
AnnaWM

Thanks for all your input
I was wondering if anyone had the course outline for this course?
Old 05-10-2011 at 08:35 PM   #9
mickey2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaWM View Post
Thanks for all your input
I was wondering if anyone had the course outline for this course?
http://www.humanities.mcmast er.ca/....php?cno =609

it doesn't look too bad, though I only had 6 assignments when I took it.
Maybe there's more transcription now.
Old 05-11-2011 at 11:48 PM   #10
mmmcdonald

Liked: Liked 2 Times

I just took this course in Fall 2010 with Dr. Yoon and ended up doing pretty well, but it depends on the effort you put into it because it's not exactly as easy as 1A03.
There were 10 assignments and 5 small/brief quizzes which were on Avenue. It's easy to get almost full marks (40% right there) just by doing all of the assignments and quizzes. I recall the midterm being difficult for most people, but most did better on the final. There was also an extra credit assignment which is helpful. The way Yoon organizes his courses, if the midterm is worth 20%, it will be out of 20. If an assignment is 3% it will be out of 3, so getting every mark matters to your overall mark (seems obvious but makes more sense if you take the course).

Overall, I'd recommend the course!