MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Saigon Asian Restaurant resh.jyoti Restaurants & Food Reviews 14 02-17-2015 04:12 AM
MacInsiders - New Sponsor - Little Saigon summer ARCHIVES 1 12-11-2008 07:29 PM
Little Saigon 10% off??? wintermelon General Discussion 7 12-07-2008 02:46 PM

Little Saigon

Little Saigon
Published by summer
12-01-2008
Published by

Author review
Quality Of Food
90%90%90%
Prices
90%90%90%
Atmosphere
70%70%70%
Service
80%80%80%
Overall Experience
90%90%90%
Average 84%
Little Saigon

MacInsiders welcomes Little Saigon Vietnamese and Thai restaurant as one of our newest site sponsors. Their support helps to fund the website and events that MacInsiders runs as a non-profit student organization. We look forward to working with them. As part of our sponsor process we decided to give Little Saigon a visit and write a fair and unbiased review. Here's what we found.

Having never tried Vietnamese food before, I was excited to try out Little Saigon, a Vietnamese and Thai restaurant on the mountain, a few minutes’ walk away from Limeridge Mall. Upon getting there, Chad and I soon found out that Little Saigon is celebrating its 2nd Anniversary, and part of the celebration is the offer of 10% off of your bill. However, Mac students ALWAYS get 10% off their bill here, anniversary or not, which is a great deal as we found their food already very affordable for the portion size you get.

Looking at the menu was somewhat of a daunting task, as it is long and varied. It is highly unlikely that someone will not find something they like on this menu. From noodles and Pad Thai to My Tho style soup and durian milkshakes, it would take quite a few visits to experience all that Little Saigon has to offer.

Chad and I placed an order for what we hoped was a varied assortment of food. First to arrive was the Special Vietnamese appetizer platter (item 12) which, true to its name, came with an assortment of Spicy Mango Salad, Vietnamese sausage, a rice paper wrap, spring rolls, fried shrimp tofu and minced shrimp on sugarcane. The platter slightly heavy on the shrimp, as you can tell. However, it was definitely one of the high points of the meal. The salad, spring rolls and minced shrimp were unreal and very tasty. These are the items I will be craving a few weeks from now. The fried shrimp tofu grew on me and the rest of the items added a good variety to the platter. I also ordered the My Tho style soup (item 17). If you are into trying new things and experiencing diverse flavours, this soup would definitely fit the bill.

On to the meal. We decided to try the Pad Thai (item 77), which was an excellent choice, well made and very flavourful. Less appealing was the Pork Chop with Chicken and Rice (item 43). I found the lemongrass flavour a little overwhelming and the meat quite tough to chew. Our next dish, the ‘Love Spice Pineapple Package Chicken’ – I am not making this name up - (item 113) made up for it. Served in half a pineapple, the dish is packed with flavour and is one of Little Saigon's special dishes. However, you will find that you are paying more for the presentation of this dish, since you really need a side of rice with it to balance out the intensity of flavours. Nevertheless, a good find, especially I you like curry.

Overall, the meal was excellent. The staff were also very helpful and friendly. The food was very well priced for the portion sizes and just about everything that we ordered was delicious. I was excited with just how delicious Vietnamese and Thai food was. Just beware that peanuts are served on the side of most dishes, so if you have an allergy be sure to request that your meal be served without the peanuts. If not, definitely worth a look if you are in the area and want something to eat while shopping at Limeridge, it's only a few blocks to walk to. I will definitely be back to try some of the eclectic items on the menu!
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Little Saigon!

Old 12-03-2008 at 04:33 PM   #2
Mintie
Faculty: Other
Year: Other

Liked: 0 Times
I have been in this restaurant few times with my Vietnamese friends. It was worth a drive. I just want to add a note that if you don't want peanut, just tell the waitress. They generally do not have peanut in the food. No complaint!
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 12-11-2008 at 07:10 PM   #3
sarahsweet
Faculty: Science

Liked: 13 Times
I went here with my friend after going shopping, and it is a great hidden gem! The prices are well worth the food you get.
Old 12-12-2008 at 05:54 PM   #4
pinkshuniza
Program: Philosophy and Biology
Year: Second
Residence: Socs

Liked: 2 Times
how do you get there by bus? *-)

Old 12-12-2008 at 06:01 PM   #5
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Communication Studies & Multimedia
Year: Alumni

Liked: 1,730 Times
from mac, take the bus down to downtown. Then from there, take the 25 Upper Wentworth. When you're close to Limeridge Mall, look for the Scotiabank on your left. Little Saigon is behind there. You'll see it in a little plaza.

Address: Unit 4 - 66 Mall Rd. Hamilton ON CAN L8V 5B9
Tel: 1 905 389-9826

eycc11, Mintie, pinkshuniza all say thanks to Chad for this post.
Old 12-14-2008 at 10:19 AM   #6
Mintie
Faculty: Other

For anyone who has not tried Little Saigon yet, may be you want to check their web site at

http://www.littlesaigon-hamilton.com

I found it last week while surfing the web.

nn1960 says thanks to Mintie for this post.
Old 12-29-2008 at 03:34 PM   #7
macstudent99
Program: other
Year: First

PHO IS AWESOME!!!
Period!
mmmm tons of beef, white rice noodles, herbs, onions etc etc...in a yummy broth!!!!

And there's a variety of shakes (try taro or avocado!) and other desserts to choose from!
Old 01-04-2009 at 06:09 PM   #8
nn1960
Faculty: Health Sciences
Year: First

Amazing Vietnamese and Thai food
I have been eaten at this restaurant several times, and agree that the Pho is awesome. Their Thai alike dish of chicken with cashews and vegetable and rice is really wonderful. There are so many dishes that I do not think that we can ever try all of them, unless we visit this restaurant everyweek. This restaurant is recommended.
Old 06-02-2010 at 09:12 PM   #9
vivian.sand

Liked: 1 Time
Pho is good, girls work there are Better!!!

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search