MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
McMaster Asian Federation of Charitable University Students (F.O.C.U.S.) faytless Clubs & Groups 0 09-14-2010 10:36 PM
Asian Grocery Stores in Hamilton Amaryll General Discussion 1 09-06-2010 09:01 PM
Saravanaa bhavan - Veg Restaurant :D sinthusized Restaurants & Food Reviews 10 08-30-2010 04:25 PM
Little Saigon summer Restaurants & Food Reviews 8 06-02-2010 09:12 PM
The Village Restaurant Goce Restaurants & Food Reviews 2 01-05-2009 11:15 PM

Saigon Asian Restaurant

Saigon Asian Restaurant
Published by resh.jyoti
06-16-2010
Published by

Author review
Quality Of Food
80%80%80%
Prices
80%80%80%
Atmosphere
50%50%50%
Service
70%70%70%
Overall Experience
70%70%70%
Average 70%
Saigon Asian Restaurant

I know what you'r thinking, but this is DIFFERENT from the Little Saigon restaurant that Chad reviewed a week ago. This is a much older restaurant, located at 1024 King Street West, Hamilton - (905) 528-1096. You can get to it by coming out the back of the school (out of the MUSC/MDCL entrance), go straight until you hit King, turn left, and it's the first left (street).

Let me just say this. The food is REALLY GOOD CHINESE/VIETNAMESE/ASIAN food. REALLY good. Everything else, besides the price, is not so good. Then again, we're on student budgets here, so who cares?

Food
Presentation is okay. They have a variety of soups, noodles, appetizers, fried rice, milkshakes and drinks, etc. The best part about this restaurant is that they customize your order. So you basically are given a slip of paper with your table number and a chart of quantity, item and price on it. You can then choose anything from the menu, and add/take away specifically what you don't want, and they adjust the price for you. Being a vegetarian, this is like heaven! You can take out the meat and add egg and tofu, a bunch of veggies, or anything else you like - and this is the STANDARD thing. It's not complicated either, you just write down the number of the item, and beside it your own specifications.

Decor
Decor is horrible. It's not dirty or anything, it's just not classy. It's like other asian restaurants though, tiled floor, metal chairs, mirrored wall I personally don't mind.

On the table are metal box holders of spoons/forks, chopsticks, napkins, salt and pepper shaker, and *the best part* a chopped-pepper kind of pepper sauce in a little pot, the typical pepper sauce (like at Teriyaki in MUSC), teriyaki sauce and soya sauce. They also give you little mini bowls to mix sauces if you want which is what I normally do .

Service
If they unfortunately get it wrong and your order comes out wrong, they immediately take it back and give you the right one in 5 minutes. Unfortunately, they often hire students (I think) which are sometimes haughty when you send the order back, but the one owner's daughter there is VERY VERY nice.
I've been there about eight times now, with friends and some family when they come to visit, and they all agree that the food is very good and the service is okay.

Price

On the whole, the price is pretty good. It's not the cheapest in the world, but for the food it's good. A main dish (which is huge) is generally $7.00, and an appetizer for 2 (like spring rolls) is $2-3. Milkshakes are $3-4. Really, it's not that bad.

Overall, this is my favourite place to go <3.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Saigon Asian Restaurant!

Old 10-26-2010 at 03:29 AM   #2
Naml
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time
From this place, my favourite is 037 BBQ Pork Fried Rice $6.50, is sooo good!

Old 10-29-2010 at 10:02 PM   #3
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times
"Chinese/Vietnamese/Asian" food? Is that kind of like European/Middle Eastern/Eurasian food or something?

Old 11-12-2010 at 06:07 AM   #4
Mazer

Liked: 60 Times
Saigon, shit. I'm still only in Saigon. Every time I think I'm going to
wake up back in the jungle.

Old 11-13-2010 at 05:35 PM   #5
resh.jyoti

Liked: 29 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
"Chinese/Vietnamese/Asian" food? Is that kind of like European/Middle Eastern/Eurasian food or something?
Nahhh, lol. They have different sections for the different types of food....Like typical chinese food but a LOT of Vietnamese food, according to the menu... Honestly, I can't tell the difference, it's just asian food to me

Old 11-14-2010 at 05:42 PM   #6
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times
The only thing I've tried there is the Pho soup. The Pho Bo there is just amazing not the best but still pretty damn good. I can eat that every freakin day. A large is like $8 or something around that. Pretty big portion. Another great place for Pho and imo the best place is Pho Dau Bo down on Cannon St. (close to Jackson Sq.). I eat there atleat once a week to satisfy my pho cravings haha.

If some of you are wondering wtf is pho then watch this and all will be clear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsSiA-JHm0U

Last edited by AnguishedEnd : 11-14-2010 at 05:43 PM. Reason: forgot to rate :)

Old 05-08-2011 at 08:00 PM   #7
jessswang

Liked: 0 Times
horrible restaurant

Old 05-25-2011 at 10:22 PM   #8
Chris98

Liked: 51 Times
Anyone have general pricing info on their food?

Old 06-25-2011 at 06:28 PM   #9
kyle123

does any one know where can i find the best chinese food

for the saigon asian restanrant i think the general price is around 6 to 10

personally i like the restaurant

i really like the noodle soup with the beef and meat ball in it

i want to find a good sushi. does anyone give a suggestion

Last edited by jhan523 : 06-25-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Old 06-26-2011 at 07:55 PM   #10
m.lam

From my perspective, I find the Chinese food at "Empress Wok Chinese Restaurant" are pretty good. I've been there twice and so far I like it. The price is reasonable, and the one thing I like about this restaurant is that its not too crowded, so pretty much you can eat there with your friends peacefully.

Old 06-28-2011 at 04:00 PM   #11
Woohoo92

Extra large bowls all the way!!

Old 06-29-2011 at 11:50 AM   #12
ekcc

Liked: 3 Times
Just sayin.. as a former server at Saigon Asian Restaurant. Don't expect the highest quality of cleanliness of your food.

Old 01-06-2012 at 04:00 PM   #13
littlebird88

Excellent Pad Thai there, very flavourful!!
Also, with your pho they give you a plate of hot peppers, bean sprouts, lime and some other herb I'm not sure of.. I highly recommend!

Old 09-16-2014 at 11:11 PM   #14
youdontknow

Liked: 7 Times
I like this place. It has decent Pho all right.

Old 02-17-2015 at 04:12 AM   #15
Erskine12

I also don’t like the food of this restaurant but this restaurant is very cheap then Boston restaurants where I went last week. But the quality of food was amazing in Boston restaurants. I will visit there again, as I loved the taste of food too.

Last edited by Erskine12 : 07-01-2015 at 12:35 AM.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search