MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Saigon Asian Restaurant resh.jyoti Restaurants & Food Reviews 14 02-17-2015 04:12 AM
The Village Restaurant Goce Restaurants & Food Reviews 2 01-05-2009 11:15 PM

Saravanaa bhavan - Veg Restaurant :D

Published by sinthusized
07-31-2009
Published by
Elite Member

Author review
Quality Of Food
90%90%90%
Prices
100%100%100%
Atmosphere
100%100%100%
Service
100%100%100%
Overall Experience
100%100%100%
Average 98%

This is a vegetarian restaurant in Mississauga that is walking distance from Square One. They serve South Indian foods that are vegetarian. South Indian foods are generally spicier than North Indian foods and I find are generally less oily. I generally share a vadaa entree with a friend, (these lentil doughnut type things) which come with sambhar (a pumpkin curry that you can dip with and then eat if there are left overs). Then I have the dinner special because you get about 7-ish curries, a bowl of rice, dessert and yogurt. You usually mix up the curries in the rice (add yogurt in to reduce spiciness). This is very filling meal. I’ve also tried their dosai’s which are also good too and can be a less spicy option depending on what curries you order. The prices are very good in my opinion. A bill for two people is around 23 dollars which I think is pretty good. My friends love this restaurant but though Saravanaa Bhavan’s food is spicy, it’s not as spicy as my mother’s cooking (we are Tamil and I eat very spicy south Indian food on a daily basis). The service is also excellent.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Saravanaa bhavan - Veg Restaurant :D!

Old 07-31-2009 at 09:45 PM   #2
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times
They also have all you can eat lunch buffet on Saturday for something like 8 or 9 bucks!

Old 07-31-2009 at 09:51 PM   #3
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times
: 9 South Indian food.

Old 07-31-2009 at 11:05 PM   #4
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin90 View Post
They also have all you can eat lunch buffet on Saturday for something like 8 or 9 bucks!
wow really? I didn't know that... thanks

Old 06-20-2010 at 10:12 AM   #5
siddu

Liked: 0 Times
oh i love this place!!

Old 08-24-2010 at 11:28 AM   #6
Prasha Bala

Liked: 1 Time
Yeah, Sharavana Bhavan is really good. We go there a lot. Their brunch buffets make you feel like you're actually in India. I find that its less spicy than what I usually eat (cause Tamils add tons of chilli peppers into their food) but you ask them to add more or less spice depending on your preference. The restuarant beside Sharavana Bhavan in Mississauga is really good too. Its a side branch of Sharavana Bhavan, but I forget what its callled. They serve more Hakka style dishes, but still Sharavana Bhavan quality.

Old 08-24-2010 at 11:57 AM   #7
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times
Get the vada sambar, onion & chilli uthappam and a cup of filter coffee at the end. Mmm...
Their dosa's good too, of course. Overall, good Tamil veg food for pretty good prices.

sinthusized likes this.

Old 08-26-2010 at 08:25 AM   #8
manaya

Liked: 26 Times
TBH the udipi on Hurontario is much better ... both in terms of taste and quality of food. I've been to both and it tastes much better.

Old 08-26-2010 at 05:02 PM   #9
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaya View Post
TBH the udipi on Hurontario is much better ... both in terms of taste and quality of food. I've been to both and it tastes much better.
Well, Udupi cuisine isn't the same as Tamil veg. cuisine, so you're kind of comparing apples to oranges. Of course, there's common dishes, but they're prepared in different styles. In terms of cuisine, the Indian subcontinent (and China for that matter) are as diverse as Europe, but we tend to lump "Indian" (and "Chinese") foods together based on national definitions rather than cultural ones, haha

Old 08-30-2010 at 11:13 AM   #10
manaya

Liked: 26 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Well, Udupi cuisine isn't the same as Tamil veg. cuisine, so you're kind of comparing apples to oranges. Of course, there's common dishes, but they're prepared in different styles. In terms of cuisine, the Indian subcontinent (and China for that matter) are as diverse as Europe, but we tend to lump "Indian" (and "Chinese") foods together based on national definitions rather than cultural ones, haha
Can't argue against that logic. The udipi chain does have a cuisine from Karnataka as opposed to Tamil Nadu. But all I'm saying in terms of food dishes they both share ... I believe the Udipi one serves food better worth for your buck. But then again ... to each his own

Old 08-30-2010 at 04:25 PM   #11
Mahratta
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaya View Post
Can't argue against that logic. The udipi chain does have a cuisine from Karnataka as opposed to Tamil Nadu. But all I'm saying in terms of food dishes they both share ... I believe the Udipi one serves food better worth for your buck. But then again ... to each his own
Haha I agree, I do prefer the food at Udupi, but I'm not sure whether it's because I prefer one cuisine to another or because I prefer one restaurant to another. That's why I left it out of the discussion. There's a place called Gurulakshmi that's the same cuisine as Saravanaa (but more dosa-centric). Not sure how that is, though.

Edit: except for the onion and chili uthappam. I prefer that at Saravanaa.

Last edited by Mahratta : 08-30-2010 at 10:09 PM.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search