MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cheap food on campus Unregistered First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 26 09-11-2012 12:34 PM
Cheap Lined Paper in or around Campus hamza7 General Discussion 6 02-03-2009 04:59 PM
Off-Campus Housing Part Three: Where to Live? lorend Residence & Off-Campus Living 3 09-05-2008 11:14 PM
Off-Campus Housing Part Two: Who to Live With? lorend Residence & Off-Campus Living 0 01-01-2008 07:27 PM

how to live cheap during uni off campus?

Old 05-21-2013 at 10:51 PM   #1
FutureMEDRAD

Liked: 1 Time

how to live cheap during uni off campus?
how do you live cheap to the max during uni... living off campus ..

from food to clothes to school supplies, etc
Old 05-22-2013 at 01:53 AM   #2
mikefung

Liked: 11 Times

cook yourself, find pdf textbooks online, refrain from drinking coffee, find basement room far from campus, zero partying and keep studying, etc.

Or some may say, don't go to university at all
Old 05-22-2013 at 03:21 AM   #3
Suspect

Liked: 60 Times

Under no circumstances should you start to believe that it's ok to cook yourself :/

Entropy, Faer like this.
Old 05-22-2013 at 04:30 AM   #4
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Live+sleep in the student centre, and take showers in the gym.

Biochem47, Jesse.C like this.
Old 05-22-2013 at 07:56 AM   #5
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMEDRAD View Post

Do some thinking yourself. See what your expenses are, and see if you can find cheaper alternatives or altogether not incur that expense at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suspect View Post
Under no circumstances should you start to believe that it's ok to cook yourself :/
I think that member meant cook for yourself, seeing as the rest of their post was legitimate.
Old 05-22-2013 at 11:43 AM   #6
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serene View Post
Live+sleep in the student centre, and take showers in the gym.
Well if water is included in your housing, you're kinda just letting what you paid for go to waste, aren't ya?

Cooking for yourself is the best advice. Pretty much everything on campus is over-priced, and buying tv-dinners or prepared food at the grocery store isn't as cost-efficient as doing it from scratch..
Old 05-22-2013 at 11:54 AM   #7
tortorf

Liked: 1 Time

I would recommend :
- always cooking at home, buy when things are in season and on sale. There is a farmers market near Fortinos with Fruit/Veg relatively cheap.
-Buy your own coffee and make it at home/bring to school (will save you money instead of buying Tims etc)
- If you drink, buy in larger quantities/dont drink at bars
- use the bus to get around Hamilton instead of cabs
- Never eat on campus (SO expensive)
- Books always buy used (if possible) or get online
- School Supplies (dollarama)
- Dont go clothes shopping often, buy things for all seasons

mohammyt likes this.
Old 05-22-2013 at 04:38 PM   #8
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Get a roommate and share expenses. I save a ton of money by preparing meals for two and sharing the costs rather than making cooking for just myself and having a ton of leftovers. Never go shopping on an empty stomach because you'll buy stuff you don't need. I can feed both of us on about $40 a week.

TV costs a lot of money and most of us can do without it.

Buy school supplies and things like toiletries, cleaning supplies, etc at
Walmart, Basics or No Frills. Much cheaper than Shoppers, Metro, etc.

If you drink coffee or smoke, quit. Try to drink only water, and get a reusable water bottle. Avoid eating overpriced campus food and pack sandwiches instead.

If you drink, get lucky night at snootys is your best friend. If you like movies, cheap Tuesdays. Low cost activities in Hamilton... hiking in Cootes, art crawl, roller blading at the bay front, pool at Skyline if you split the cost with a few friends. Always check the last bus time in advance and know how to get home from where you are so you don't have to pay expensive cabs.

I don't do this myself but I work at Walmart and am consistently shocked by how much money some customers save by price matching and coupon clipping.
Old 05-22-2013 at 04:57 PM   #9
hilton

Liked: 42 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureMEDRAD View Post

buy less; save more
Old 05-22-2013 at 06:47 PM   #10
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortorf View Post
I would recommend :
- always cooking at home, buy when things are in season and on sale. There is a farmers market near Fortinos with Fruit/Veg relatively cheap.
hey! i hear about this but whenever I went by Fortinos I never could see it... where is it exactly and what is it called? lol thanks