MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Food on Campus - Food restrictions..? Afsha-noon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 08-02-2012 04:30 PM
Vegetarian Food on Campus optimism First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 08-01-2012 01:36 PM
Off campus Food expenses gggggg First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-28-2012 03:55 PM
Cheap food alternatives? Cliu91 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 18 08-27-2010 12:32 PM

Cheap food on campus

Old 08-27-2012 at 02:40 AM   #1
Unregistered

Cheap food on campus
I have meal plan. I want to make most of my meal plan. What places and what type of food should I be eating to do it? I be eating 7 days so must conserve meal plan.
Old 08-27-2012 at 07:03 AM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

The best way would be not to buy drinks from campus. They add up very quickly if you get one for every meal or every day.
Old 08-27-2012 at 07:53 AM   #3
winter02

Liked: 7 Times

I agree with jhan523, drinks do add up VERY quickly. The typical meal on campus cost around $6 ~ $8 at the student center. Bistro meals are a bit more expensive leaning towards $8 - $12 If you have a normal meal plan, you should be fine. If you think about conserving as much as possible through out the year, you will be left with left over money when the year is finished. Try to buy at a constant pace. You can always add more money onto your meal card if you happen to finish early.
Old 08-27-2012 at 08:49 AM   #4
Marooner

Liked: 59 Times

A water filter could help too. One time purchase for 8 months of saving on drinks!

Old 08-27-2012 at 12:16 PM   #5
Moghue

Liked: 17 Times

Drinks alone will run $2-3+, so don't buy them.

Chad. likes this.
Old 08-27-2012 at 12:44 PM   #6
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

dont go to bistro all the time.

honestly i bet the cheapest food is getting a Gino's slice for $2 or whatever it is.

seriously the food on campus is so expesive. grilled cheese is like $4! they're making like $30 on a loaf of bread!

if centro still has the place where you can "make your own" pasta, i found that lasted 2 meals, so you could save half in the fridge
Old 08-27-2012 at 01:08 PM   #7
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

For the amount of money you're paying, Bistro's food is sub par. Their idea of a spaghetti parmesan is Ragu on top of plain spaghetti, a bit of melted cheese, and peice of garlic bread. That ran me $12.

Always buy meals that are big in servings. The A La Carte section of Commons gives pretty big servings, and so does their pasta place. My boyfriend and I easily share Commons meals and are more than satisfied afterwards. One Commons meal, is basically two.

Everyone else is right about drinks. Best place to get drinks is probably Union Market, but they don't take student cards, just cash credit or debit. Water, unless it's bottled, is free everywhere. People don't realize that at Commons you can take any glass near the drinks dispenser, fill it with ice, and get water from their tap.

Don't buy sushi on campus. Just don't.

Pillers Subs and PizzaPizza in the Student Centre are decently filling for a meal under $6.
Old 08-28-2012 at 08:58 PM   #8
Unregistered

So pasta bar is cheapest option. What time do they start serving the cheap food at?
Old 08-28-2012 at 09:05 PM   #9
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So pasta bar is cheapest option. What time do they start serving the cheap food at?

do you mean the hours?

Lunch for Commons starts around 11, lasts till either 4 PM or 5 (can't remember), at which point they serve the dinner menu. This includes everything else- Pillers, the Asian place, pasta bar.

The Pasta bar in the student centre opens at 11 as well. Creation X, however, will make you anything at any time. They prepare the ingredients for the food before opening.
Old 08-28-2012 at 09:22 PM   #10
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It's definitely not the cheapest option. It's $7-8 for pasta depending where you go, and it can last 1-2 meals (if you're hungry, you can eat the entire serving at once, especially from the student centre).
Your cheapest option is to not solely eat food on campus, and to buy groceries as well. Make your own pasta instead of spending a ridiculous amount of money on it.
Old 08-28-2012 at 09:28 PM   #11
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

your meal plan is split into 2. the main one which has most of the money on it can only be used on campus. the other one which has around 300-500 on it can be used in shops off campus (which include and are not limited to; ginos, boston pizza, east side marios, etc.)

I suggest you stay on campus as much as possible, and only use the off campus account when you go out with friends to places like boston pizza or east side. its a waste to spend it on a slice at ginos. I say this because the money that you can spend off campus is on the freedom account which can carry over to your next year (unlike the money on the main account which gets wiped if not used by the end of the year)

Also bistro is expensive and IMO not the best food around.

Though to be honest, unless you are like my friend and 1 meal for you is the equivalent of 2 meals for the normal person there isnt anything to worry about. I had close to a 1000 left over a month before school finished and was buying food for others like crazy and stoking up on candy bars and chips.
Old 08-28-2012 at 11:01 PM   #12
Snowman
Elite Member

Liked: 180 Times

What I did, since I eat tons of food but had a very light meal plan, is bring a pan and I had eggs and toast every day for brunch (I eat 2 meals a day) by cooking in the common room on my floor and just bought dinner. That way I could buy a more awesome dinner within my smaller budget, since it tastes about the same to buy or cook your own breakfast.
Old 08-29-2012 at 12:43 AM   #13
Scarecrow
Dr. Crane

Liked: 89 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AelyaS View Post
do you mean the hours?

Lunch for Commons starts around 11, lasts till either 4 PM or 5 (can't remember), at which point they serve the dinner menu. This includes everything else- Pillers, the Asian place, pasta bar.

The Pasta bar in the student centre opens at 11 as well. Creation X, however, will make you anything at any time. They prepare the ingredients for the food before opening.
Creation X is also very, very, very gross.
Old 08-29-2012 at 01:48 AM   #14
Philipp31
Elite Member

Liked: 192 Times

Dont ever start drinking Alo Water... one cannot simply stop drinking Alo Water.

apples12, Evanesce like this.
Old 09-04-2012 at 10:38 PM   #15
Kliu92

Liked: 1 Time

For delicious and decently priced sandwiches, you should visit the cafe in the Engineering building! So good .