MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[COPE] General Assembly Meeting Sept 15! (COPE: A Student Mental Health Initiative) Annie MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-12-2009 08:28 PM
English 2I06 (Modern British Literature) Term Two Essays ForeverYoung Academics 1 04-06-2009 09:42 AM
What Is wrong With British Society? huzaifa47 Politics 13 02-17-2009 05:21 PM
First Year Council GA Meeting Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 02-01-2009 02:30 PM
Live Greener: The Student’s Guide summer Misc 3 08-10-2008 12:23 AM

LIVE - University of British Columbia student council meeting

Old 12-07-2009 at 08:09 PM   #1
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Liked: 15 Times

LIVE - University of British Columbia student council meeting
The University of British Columbia student newspaper The Ubyssey (pronounced U-B-C) is live streaming their student union council meeting tonight:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/ams-2009

Coles note version of what's happening:

The student union president and vice-president (external) filed a human rights complaint with the United Nations claiming tuition is a violation of human rights and requesting the UN investigate Canada's potential violations of human rights.

They did so behind the back of the student council.

The student council is meeting to decide what to do with the executives.

The Ubyssey has extensive and updated coverage here: http://ubyssey.ca/?p=15325

Alvand says thanks to fullsmash26 for this post.
Old 12-07-2009 at 08:13 PM   #2
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsmash26 View Post

The student union president and vice-president (external) filed a human rights complaint with the United Nations claiming tuition is a violation of human rights and requesting the UN investigate Canada's potential violations of human rights.

Wow, just wow. This should be interesting, thanks!

EDIT: Actually, not thanks, I'm trying to study here! Way to distract me!

Maegs likes this.
Old 12-07-2009 at 08:20 PM   #3
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

It was really interesting earlier when there was Council debate. It is now statements leading to the vote.

It's interesting to see how student politics is conducted elsewhere and to this technology put to use.

Mind you, I'm having a rather interesting discussion on Google Wave with people in the Prairies and the Coast. Finally, Google Wave is useful.
Old 12-07-2009 at 08:23 PM   #4
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

Edit: nvm boo. Recall isn't on the agenda?

Last edited by deadpool : 12-07-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-07-2009 at 08:34 PM   #5
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
Edit: nvm boo. Recall isn't on the agenda?
Legal opinion says Council cannot recall.
Old 12-07-2009
Purgatory99
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 12-07-2009 at 09:23 PM   #6
lmasud

Liked: 33 Times

lol, if Canadian tuitions are in violations of human rights, then what about American ones...they are like genocide
Old 12-07-2009 at 09:23 PM   #7
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Legal opinion says Council cannot recall.
It would require a referendum right? I still have no idea why the council is pursuing recall after passing a motion to demand resignation on the 28th November. Didn't they realize it would be illegal for them to get a resignation even if they voted unanimously for it? :S

On a side note good to see a student newspaper that actually goes out and makes positive innovative steps to engage students in a comparatively less biased manner. They had a liveblog on the 28th and a video feed right now. The Ubessy reporter running them has been highly helpful to users asking questions or trying to understand what is going on.

I hope the Sil is watching

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 12-07-2009 at 09:34 PM   #8
deadpool
X-Man

UBC AMS Council passes motion requiring their student union executives to submit weekly reports detailing their daily activities on an hourly basis.

In related news, the MSU BoD votes to buy one new sheet of paper (8.5x11) in case a similar motion is passed by the SRA.
Old 12-07-2009 at 09:35 PM   #9
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
It would require a referendum right? I still have no idea why the council is pursuing recall after passing a motion to demand resignation on the 28th November. Didn't they realize it would be illegal for them to get a resignation even if they voted unanimously for it? :S

On a side note good to see a student newspaper that actually goes out and makes positive innovative steps to engage students in a comparatively less biased manner. They had a liveblog on the 28th and a video feed right now. The Ubessy reporter running them has been highly helpful to users asking questions or trying to understand what is going on.

I hope the Sil is watching
They are not pursuing recall. There was a question regarding conflict between AMS bylaws which allow for recall by Council and the provincial legislation governing student unions, The Society Act, which says the membership must recall. The legal opinion is the provincial act prevails. To recall at this point is an exercise in near futility, the president's term expires Feb 28 and the earliest for recall to happen is the end of January. Three presidents in a month is not a great option.

In terms of the student paper, I know a lot of Prairie and Western editors are paying attention. There is a rather lively discussion occuring regarding future uses of UStream by those papers. A very different culture exists among student newspapers in the Prairies and the Coast.

huzaifa47 says thanks to fullsmash26 for this post.
Old 12-07-2009 at 09:41 PM   #10
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
They are not pursuing recall. There was a question regarding conflict between AMS bylaws which allow for recall by Council and the provincial legislation governing student unions, The Society Act, which says the membership must recall. The legal opinion is the provincial act prevails. To recall at this point is an exercise in near futility, the president's term expires Feb 28 and the earliest for recall to happen is the end of January. Three presidents in a month is not a great option.

In terms of the student paper, I know a lot of Prairie and Western editors are paying attention. There is a rather lively discussion occuring regarding future uses of UStream by those papers. A very different culture exists among student newspapers in the Prairies and the Coast.
I see; I hadn't been following it all that closely since the 28th, hence had no idea about the emergency legal counsel. But in the chat window I see discussion about a AGM on the 2nd Feb, their term ends 28th. Why would they do that?

Wouldn't that special resolution/petition require 2% student body and then 75% For the recall? Would there still be room for a counter lawsuit by Blake/Tim?

The President also seems happy that he managed to enrage enough people to get them pay attention to AMS. He now feels that the council is more engaged with their constituents as a result of his actions. Interesting strategy....

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 12-07-2009 at 09:47 PM   #11
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzaifa47 View Post
I see; I hadn't been following it all that closely since the 28th, hence had no idea about the emergency legal counsel. But in the chat window I see discussion about a AGM on the 2nd Feb, their term ends 28th. Why would they do that?

Wouldn't that special resolution/petition require 2% student body and then 75% For the recall? Would there still be room for a counter lawsuit by Blake/Tim?

The President also seems happy that he managed to enrage enough people to get them pay attention to AMS. He now feels that the council is more engaged with their constituents as a result of his actions. Interesting strategy....
The AGM is regularly scheduled to occur just after the presidental race is decided. There is a "quiet" period in student politics between executive elections and the March faculty elections. (Council members represent their faculties and are elected in faculty elections. At McMaster, SRA members represent their faculties as part of the central student body and are elected in centrally administered elections.)

In terms of potential lawsuits, it will likely end up in court. The impeachment of student executives at Simon Fraser ended up in court and the court rules that students have the right to kick student pols out of office.

-- In terms of reports, take a look at the executive reports filed last year at Saskatchewan (WARNING: 25MB PDF) http://www.ussu.ca/pdfs/usc/archives/2008-09-usc.pdf

The fall executive reports are extensive. You can find them in December or early Jan. (My internet is very slow and I can't grab the file right now)
Old 12-07-2009 at 10:08 PM   #12
deadpool
X-Man

Um..1250 pages... wow. The last time the SRA saw anything that large was when they were renaming Quarters.

DannyV likes this.
Old 12-07-2009 at 10:12 PM   #13
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
Um..1250 pages... wow. The last time the SRA saw anything that large was when they were renaming Quarters.
That's an entire year's worth of documents. As I said, the executive reports for fall are very interesting. As a bonus, my name is in the docs a few times. I showed up to a USSU Council meeting in January and I'm pretty sure the minutes note my late arrival.
Old 12-07-2009 at 10:12 PM   #14
deadpool
X-Man

Speaking of which.. it seems some problems are universal:

Quote:
Councilor ?? asked how many other University pubs or bars run a deficit?

GM Cottrell replied that when she questioned other Students’ Unions few were willing to respond and of the approximately 12 that did 10 were running a deficit.