MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LDR: Long Distance Relationships s2ML Dating & Relationships 44 01-09-2013 09:10 PM
Incoming Long Distance mike_302 Computers & Tech 4 10-24-2010 05:39 PM
Long distance anubhagat Residence & Housing 1 12-08-2009 11:51 PM
Calling Long Distance from Residence mac-gal First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 09-10-2009 05:43 PM
Long Distance Calling janeller General Discussion 7 09-09-2008 09:48 AM

long distance

Members have rated post #371275 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 06-04-2013 at 12:08 PM   #16
BamPow

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
So young... so naive
Sigh I'm getting tired of you older individuals calling me naive and stupid, because of my age.

Like seriously? You're acting more immature than me by using the "I'm older so I'm smarter and better than you" card.

CEOs as young as 20 are running employees that are well above their age.

Some people experience and learn more than others at younger ages, so how could you just judge younger individuals like that?

Age does not measure knowledge.

The girl was just asking tips for LDR. There was no need for you to go on and give her the negatives then call me naive for stating the positives.
Old 06-04-2013 at 12:20 PM   #17
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamPow View Post
Sigh I'm getting tired of you older individuals calling me naive and stupid, because of my age.

Like seriously? You're acting more immature than me by using the "I'm older so I'm smarter and better than you" card.

CEOs as young as 20 are running employees that are well above their age.

Some people experience and learn more than others at younger ages, so how could you just judge younger individuals like that?

Age does not measure knowledge.

The girl was just asking tips for LDR. There was no need for you to go on and give her the negatives then call me naive for stating the positives.
Try the fact that im older so ive had a longer time to have a chance at experiencing a ldr, which i did for my entire first year. this bullshit about CEOs? who the fuck cares. And speaking as someone who has experienced a long distance relationship, there are a lot of negatives. There is only so much that technology can do for a couple in that situation. Speaking from EXPERIENCE, long distance relationships are a lot of work to keep going, and if one person isnt willing to fully, and i mean FULLY commit to it, there is little chance of things lasting.
And i called you naive because you are speaking as if it is the most simple thing in the world to keep a long distance relationship going. Judging by what you said, you have never experienced a long distance relationship, so yeah, my age and experience do matter more in this situation.
To the OP, if you are going to try making an ldr work, best of luck to you.
Old 06-04-2013 at 12:26 PM   #18
BamPow

Quote:
Try the fact that im older so ive had a longer time to have a chance at experiencing a ldr, which i did for my entire first year. this bullshit about CEOs? who the fuck cares. And speaking as someone who has experienced a long distance relationship, there are a lot of negatives. There is only so much that technology can do for a couple in that situation. Speaking from EXPERIENCE, long distance relationships are a lot of work to keep going, and if one person isnt willing to fully, and i mean FULLY commit to it, there is little chance of things lasting.
And i called you naive because you are speaking as if it is the most simple thing in the world to keep a long distance relationship going. Judging by what you said, you have never experienced a long distance relationship, so yeah, my age and experience do matter more in this situation.
To the OP, if you are going to try making an ldr work, best of luck to you.
You think I wouldn't be commenting here if I wasn't in a LDR myself?

Please think before you talk. You're embarrassing yourself.
Old 06-04-2013 at 12:42 PM   #19
Chris23
Account Locked

Quote:
You think I wouldn't be commenting here if I wasn't in a LDR myself?

Please think before you talk. You're embarrassing yourself.
Said the prospective commerce student to the graduated engineering student
Old 06-04-2013 at 01:21 PM   #20
BamPow

Quote:
Said the prospective commerce student to the graduated engineering student
I know right? I expected so much more from you.

This is a McMaster student?

How utterly disappointing.
Old 06-04-2013 at 01:31 PM   #21
Chris23
Account Locked

Quote:
I know right? I expected so much more from you.

This is a McMaster student?

How utterly disappointing.
This is a highschool student? makes sense. just drop it kid
Old 06-04-2013 at 01:35 PM   #22
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
This is a highschool student? makes sense. just drop it kid
lol guy who calls out someone then goes on to tell em to drop it. funny guy bro. u start these types of convos and ask others to drop it. lol

BamPow says thanks to Silver for this post.

BamPow likes this.
Old 06-04-2013 at 01:37 PM   #23
BamPow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
lol guy who calls out someone then goes on to tell em to drop it. funny guy bro. u start these types of convos and ask others to drop it. lol
Enough said.

Thank you
Old 06-04-2013 at 01:44 PM   #24
Chris23
Account Locked

Sorry that it reaches a point of stating the exact same points being stated over and over? Dont wanna have to deal with MODs bitching on here again. keep chasing my posts though really, its kinda cute
Old 11-12-2013 at 04:08 AM   #25
chief23

Liked: 0 Times

I have an example in my life. My friend is dating with a girl who is far from here and really have good relationships thinking about living together after study.
Old 11-12-2013 at 08:05 PM   #26
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Summer is the better of the two types of LDR, because you can have excuses to take vacations together. Whereas if you only get the summer, you're at a huge disadvantage in number of months. Probably the best thing to do in this situation would be, along with the other suggestions of contact, focus more on enriching your own life than being so focused on what the other person is doing.

If you, yourself are more happy and confident in what you're doing, there's less chance of tension when you do speak together. On the other hand, if you worry too much, it can cause it's own vicious cycle. Important to really keep in mind in the long run, though, is that not everyone handles LDRs well, and some may be completely incapable of doing so, and that's something you have to accept.

So, to summarize:
-Communicate when free (skype, try not be in constant text communication; phone is better)
-Don't forget to work on yourself, not too distracted by the situation between you two
-Plan something special on the rare occasion you get to see the person face to face
-Keep it realistic and honest
Old 11-13-2013 at 08:59 AM   #27
Lollipop345

That doesn't work. Believe me. Of course, you may try, but don't be upset if everything goes the wrong way.
Old 11-15-2013 at 10:12 AM   #28
lsparrow1

Liked: 10 Times

It is possible to sustain an LDR for the summer. I went abroad last year for 10 months, and stayed in my relationship so believe me, it is possible!

Obviously, everyone has a different experience. People who broke up will tell you it doesn't work, and people who have had successful relationships will tell you it always does work.

Just go into it with an open mind, and don't have too many expectations. If you really love each other, it will find a way to work itself out. If one person is putting in all the effort, it won't work.

LDRs are VERY hard. I'm not going to lie. Being apart for months at a time is not easy, and requires quite a bit of effort on both ends for it to keep going.

Everyone is different, and will have a different experience. The most important thing to remember is to still have your own life. What I mean by this is don't spend your whole summer sad and upset, and missing the other person. This will only make things worse. Keep busy, and time will fly.

Good luck!
Old 02-09-2014 at 07:34 PM   #29
imsoblessed

Liked: 0 Times

I wouldn't recommend it
I was in my first year with a Bf from high school, and I can say that i regret that decision so bad
U miss out a lot, and at the end you're just not happy
It seems like a good idea in the beginning, but Nawhh u have u realize you got 4 short years at uni, make the best of it
Old 02-09-2014 at 09:09 PM   #30
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 327 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsoblessed View Post
I wouldn't recommend it
I was in my first year with a Bf from high school, and I can say that i regret that decision so bad
U miss out a lot, and at the end you're just not happy
It seems like a good idea in the beginning, but Nawhh u have u realize you got 4 short years at uni, make the best of it
I like how you 1) posted on a 10 month old thread, 2) didn't bother to read that OP was asking for advice for sustaining the relationship that s/he started at university over this past summer.