MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
T4 form?! please reply soon!! luna General Discussion 7 03-24-2011 08:31 PM
where's T28-001 (is it same as T28)? plz reply soon!!!!!! luna General Discussion 4 01-28-2011 05:05 PM
expecting a reply? moskal89 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-29-2008 09:09 AM
Calculator Pls Reply!! **jewel 03** First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 09-08-2008 02:22 PM
Everyone Look and Reply Please! pinkpony First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 28 03-16-2008 07:49 PM

How Long Should You Give a Prof to Reply?

Old 05-07-2012 at 09:47 AM   #1
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

How Long Should You Give a Prof to Reply?
In general? Is a week enough?
Old 05-07-2012 at 10:53 AM   #2
Reda
Elite Member

Liked: 274 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
In general? Is a week enough?
48 hours

Old 05-07-2012 at 10:55 AM   #3
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Lol...I know some profs get like a hundred emails a day or more. I'd say give them like at least a week. Only some of them are extremely particular on emails. I've gotten responses back like 2-3 weeks afterwards I think.
Old 05-07-2012 at 11:13 AM   #4
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times

there are some profs who checks their email everyday so sometimes you might get a reply from your prof 24 hours after you send the email. I think it really depends on prof really...
Old 05-07-2012 at 11:14 AM   #5
SciLibrarian

Liked: 0 Times

It varies.
I'm not sure there's an answer 'in general'. Some instructors are glued to their emails, others not. If an instructor is usually pretty good about replying quickly, but isn't for some reason, you might want to see what's going on. If you know your instructor isn't good with emails, go and find them and talk to them in person; instant response.

I also don't quite get what you mean by how long should you give them - before what?

Never assume that because an prof hasn't replied that means you are exempt from following any rules or guides that were posted for the course. That's an easy way to get into hot water. If you need to urgently find out something, use your feet and find somebody to answer it: a peer, a TA, etc.

Andrew Colgoni
Science Fluencies Librarian
Old 05-07-2012 at 11:47 AM   #6
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

I meant before re-sending the email. It's taken me a couple tries before to get a response; I just wondered if there was a certain protocol to follow.
Old 05-07-2012 at 12:44 PM   #7
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Get a friend to email them about a generic question, IE "My mark is 2 points lower than it should be, who should i talk to about this?". If they get a response quickly, then perhaps your prof didn't get your email. If they didn't answer them either, then maybe your prof doesn't check his/her email very often.

Zebedee likes this.
Old 05-07-2012 at 02:32 PM   #8
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Its very important that you put the course code and other relevant info in the subject line...
i.e. coursecode studentnumber Title

Lots of profs have filters, so your message might have just got put in the junk. Even if you sent it correctly (using guidelines they might have outlined on their site) if they havn't checked their email in a while, they wont check old mail from students...