MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Off Campus Housing eSsBee Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 5 07-09-2010 12:14 AM
Off Campus Housing t.dot Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 3 06-14-2010 07:05 PM
Off campus housing Richa Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 3 12-20-2009 03:47 AM
Off Campus Housing Options ice8 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 13 05-20-2009 11:04 PM

When to look for off campus housing?

Old 10-13-2010 at 12:41 PM   #1
ashlay17

Liked: 0 Times

When to look for off campus housing?
Hey,
I know it is early but I was wondering when people start to look for off campus housing for the following school year?
Thanks!
Old 10-13-2010 at 12:45 PM   #2
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 74 Times

well usually the best time to start looking for off campus housing would be mid-end november if you want a good variety to choose from. you will be able to find a lot better variety the sooner you start.. most landlords start posting up adds half way through November i believe
Old 10-13-2010 at 12:56 PM   #3
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Keeners start in December-January... I've started like late Feb/March every time and found a decent place. ;P

But better to start early, I guess. Especially if you already know who you want to live with and what not, because a lot of landlords won't hold a place for you (and there's a set number of rooms per house)... it's definitely first come first serve.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-13-2010 at 01:20 PM   #4
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Start Early (January/February) but don't be too eager to pick a house. Houses will be constantly posted from Late December to Early May, and if you're too eager you might settle for an o.k. house in Feb/March when the house you would've really loved to have wasn't posted until April.

Make sure you're basically set on a place by early April though, if not, you'll end up having to take any house you can find in Late April/Early May
Old 10-13-2010 at 01:42 PM   #5
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

LIke others have mentioned, start around January. Most of the 'good' houses go quick. That being said though, you should check out more than one house to get a general idea of what type of houses there are. If your in res right now, sometime in December or January you'll have some sort of off campus information meeting. Id suggest going to that, its really helpful and gives you good tips.
Old 10-13-2010 at 01:44 PM   #6
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

I can't wait to live somewhere else. >_>;

lorii, _Luu_ like this.
Old 10-24-2010 at 10:49 PM   #7
lorii

Liked: 8 Times

Wow I didn't know they posted them up as early as november... It's almost time to start looking... :U
Old 10-25-2010 at 03:17 AM   #8
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorii View Post
Wow I didn't know they posted them up as early as november... It's almost time to start looking... :U

Yeah but you dont have to start that early. I mean if you really want to start this early nothing/no one is going to stop you. Starting in mid to late January is good enough but if you are not looking to get a 12 month contract don't even bother. landlords are A55 H0LES and they will want to give you a 12 month deal when most propbably you won't be living in Hamilton over the summer so you will be paying rent for 4 months for nothing. So if you want an 8 month lease the ideal time is mid July -August, that is the time when lanlords want to fill up all the spots in the house.
Old 10-25-2010 at 03:21 AM   #9
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajas View Post
Yeah but you dont have to start that early. I mean if you really want to start this early nothing/no one is going to stop you. Starting in mid to late January is good enough but if you are not looking to get a 12 month contract don't even bother. landlords are A55 H0LES and they will puch towards a 12 month deal when most propbably you won't be living in Hamilton over the summer so you will be paying rent for nothing. So if you want an 8 month ease the ideal time is late July -August, that is the time when lanlords want to fill up all the spots in the house.
If you plan to live w/ friends, it'll be difficult to find a full house in the summer, but if you're alone, looking in the summer will mean a shorter lease (8 months) and you can sometimes get discounts (i.e. not paying utilities, or x amount off per month). Though, it is harder to find really good houses in the summer.
Old 10-25-2010 at 07:13 AM   #10
mohammyt

Liked: 103 Times

Depends on how many people are looking to live in the same house. Like me and my friends (group of 8) find our next year's house around late December each year. If you are looking to live alone, I believe that you can wait until September next year and still get a decent place to stay in.
Old 11-02-2010 at 02:31 PM   #11
CrashPlague
Gravity is Just a Theory

Liked: 33 Times

If I'm not mistaken, there are services on campus for helping students find off-campus housing, correct?